Backend freezes with ruTorrent 3.0 beta

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
System: Archlinux. Running rtorrent-svn + xmlrpc-c-svn, rutorrent 3.0 beta + all plugins, including the rpc plugin.
rtorrent is running in a detached screen session. The seedbox is running ten rtorrent/rutorrent instances for ten separate unix users, and most of the time they can work pretty well. BUT:
I have encountered some rtorrent freezes (the screen session reattaches and detaches, but none of the controls of rtorrent are working) and I have to kill rtorrent and reopen a session to continue. This happens mostly when I add a new torrent (not everytime, though). CPU usage is low when this happens, and can't see a memory leak.
Could I use just 0.8.6 without losing functionality? Switch from the rpc plugin to webserver-managed one? Use sockets? Remove some suspect plugin?
All suggestions are welcome!

simur612

May 25, 2018
Ok, noted, and thanks for the very fast reply. I will report back.
3 things i'd check:

do you have php5-cli installed?
do you have geo-ip installed (the plugin)

and if so, do you have pecl-geoip installed?

also, are you using a unix socket? i've had major issues from using unix socket based installs which always seem to be solved by using tcp based sockets instead

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Removing all plugins minus the rpc one stopped the freezes.
Yes, I had the geoip plugin in. Also installed were geoip and php-geoip.
Removing just the geoip plugin, there are still freezes when adding a torrent.
And- using tcp socket via the rpc plugin.

simur612

May 25, 2018
In this case you can likely narrow it down

add one plugin back at a time and run it for an hour or two until you find the plugin causing your problem

When you find it, let us know

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
So far, a subset of the plugins which do not create any problem:

_getdir
create
data
datadir
erasedata
ratio
rpc
tracklabels

I wll try all the available plugins, but as it's mostly a trial-and-error procedure, I will need some time...
BTW I am using php v. 5.3.1 and Apache 2.2.14
I would love to use a lighter server (nginx, lighttpd or Cherokee), but so far I do not know ***anything*** about nginx, lighttpd is for my system not faster than Apache, and Cherokee is noiceably faster, but I cannot use on it folder access restictions (I get a 405 error- probably I don't set the access permissions correctly on cherokee-admin).
Afterall, it may be an issue with my php config, and not a real problem with the kicking plugin itself.

simur612

May 25, 2018
what type of folder restrictuionjs?
the best way is to create vhosts and use the "default" tab under behavior
then set soem kind of auth.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
You mean under Cherokee?
I was just using the default vhost, and in there I was creating directory rules, with "list and send" content. These were quite usable via the webserver, but I could not apply any restriction policy. Under Apache doing the same was/is a piece of cake.
Do you think that creating new vhosts is the indicated way to go?
I do like Cherokee very much, but I have no great experience with it so far.

simur612

May 25, 2018
The problem seems related to the backend ( rtorrent-svn ) and not rutorrent itself, after all.
The machine is fairly sturdy (I can run more than ten instances of say, transmission-daemon, without issues, but doing the same with rtorrent is problematic- I even had a couple of krenel dumps with it...
It may be a kernel issue- the one which came with the sedbox is a custom one made by OVH, with no modules at all (everything is statically built into the kernel).
ATM the latest revision (1023, if not mistaken) builds OK, but segfaults right from the start. I have seen a patch suggested at the rtorrent bug reports, but so far I did not have the time to apply it.
Anyway, I have not solved my problem, but since it seems not related with rutorrent itself, you may close the issue.
Man, I DO hate going back to ugly torrentflux-b4rt... I will try finding a better solution than that.
Thanks a lot for your input.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
I'm not sure what os you are using but i've built almost 100 seedboxes on FreeBSD a lot of them with uptimes of 120-200 days right now.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Freezing of rtorrent always happened to me when the HDD space (quota) was too low, maybe that's the problem in this case ?

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Try running latest tar's and not svn for rtorrent/libtorrent maybe that helps.

I use that on Ubuntu Linux 9.10 , and no problems at all.
maybe try to activate the log , and see what that says when this happens

simur612

May 25, 2018
another issue you should look into is memory usage. rtorrent can use a ton of memory on fast connections. If you have a fast connecton but low memory it may be necessary to reduce the memory available to rtorrent in order to keep the webserver functioning properly.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Configuration: OpenSolaris-2009.06, libtorrent-0.12.6, rtorrent-0.8.6, xmlrpc-c-18.51, scgi-1.14, rutorrent-2.8 + rutorrent-3.0b

I have two systems with this configuration. One system for development is running in SunVxBOX, second is 'working' system running on Atom based PC. First system has only two torrents in the list, second one has about 140 torrents.
First system works perfectly, the second one hangs each time I add new torrent to the system. rtorrent hangs, Solaris SMF restarts rtorrent.
During rtorrent restart, I've noticed that there is autotools plugin process in the process list.
I removed autotools and restarted apache. Then I added another one torrent without any problem.

Probably, problem is that i use release (2.8 ) and development (3.0) version of rutorrent on the system.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Because i start release version, 2.8 and 3.0b sequentially, without restart rtorrent tracker.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
I tested it once again. This time I did not run rutorrent-2.8.
I tried to add new torrent and rtorrent did hang. I remove autotools plugin. restart rtorrent and apache, removed the torrent just added, wailed till all files rechecked and add the torrent without any error.