check_port - port closed

peshua19

May 25, 2018
I have my torrent traffic split through a vpn tunnel. I have fiddled with many ways of doing this, but the most successful way of doing it has been by process user, i.e. UID. Therefore, I specify my rtorrent traffic to be marked by the rtorrent process user ID (UID) and forwarded through the VPN tunnel, all other traffic remains through the WAN IP. This works really well, except for 1 x annoying exception.

The rutorrent check_port plugin shows that the rutorrent port is closed, even though it is definitely open, all torrents are working normally / well etc. I assume that this is because the rutorrent plugin is trying to test the port through the vpn tunnel but as the UID on the rutorrent plugin is the webserver rather than the rtorrent user it cannot get through?? I obviously dont want to redirect my entire webserver through the vpn.

My guess is that I need to somehow change the user on the check_port plugin to match the rtorrent user, so it can traffic through the VPN. As the check_port plugin is part of rutorrent, which is an apache process (??) I assume it may involve somehow getting the rutorrent apache process running under the rtorrent UID.
So, that is the long winded way of asking if anyone knows how to get the rutorrent Apache process running under my rtorrent UID rather than www-data?

A few other pieces of info. I am using the latest plugins from SVN. When I dont split my traffic, i.e. it all goes through the VPN, the port is shown as open with a green tick.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Yes, of course. Thank-you for your suggestion.
I issued;
Code:
ip route -p add 107.20.89.142 tun0to the shell, where 107.20.89.142 is canyouseeme.org's ip address and tun0 is my vpn route. Port is no opening with a satisfying green tick.