GeoIP plugin: Switch to GeoIP-City db instead of GeoIP-Country DB

randac56

May 25, 2018
I posted this first on the google code website, but as requested I repost here for discussion:

Hello,

first of all thanks for the plugin, works like a charm. Two small requests though:

I wonder if it would be possible to use the GeoIP-City database instead of the GeoIP-Country database. The data in the city db seems to be more exact. Just check the IP 186.105.108.001 f.e., the country db doesn't know the IP, whereas the city db knows that this IP belongs to an ISP from Chile. A whois search confirms the later result. Furthermore it would be cool, if there could be an additional column in the peer view, showing the rev-dns/name entry for that IP, so one could see what ISP the peer is using, if it's a dial-up/FTTH connection or if it is a seedbox, f.e..​

The later seems to be resolved (had a look at other threads over here), so feel free to ignore that part. I'm not sure about the first part, maybe that can't be done in the plugin, but in the PHP module. I'm not familiar with PHP at all, so even after having a short glance at the documentation at their page I don't know if that would be possible. The cli GeoIP tool I use (Maxminds geoiplookup) can read the country, city and ASN database.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
1) The comments on wiki page is a not right place for addition some requests.
2) The right place for this - projects issues section.
3) Already done.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Quote :
1) The comments on wiki page is a not right place for addition some requests.
2) The right place for this - projects issues section.
3) Already done.

So how do I switch to GeoIP-City then? Searching the forums didn't yield any results (or, to be specific, I didn't find anything, which doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there).

Thanks in advance!

randac56

May 25, 2018
I see. Is r890 of the GeoIP plugin compatible with rutorrent 3.0 or do I need to upgrade rutorrent to svn trunk too?

Thanks!

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Quote :
I see. Is r890 of the GeoIP plugin compatible with rutorrent 3.0

Don't know really. SVN version has a lot of changes.

Quote :
or do I need to upgrade rutorrent to svn trunk too?

I think, yes, you need.