Open for seeding

saroos1

May 25, 2018
How can I open a torrent, which is already complete, for seeding. For instance, to seed something from one tracker to another.

I tried to set the download location as the correct folder in the 'Complete' folder, but it did not work.

Any suggestions?

simur612

May 25, 2018
well, before i explain this, you need to know that you can not run 2 torrents with the same hash at the same time. If you want to do that, you need to have 2 SEPARATE rtorrent's set up. The way i do this is quite simple though.

Make sure you have the latest svn 3.0

download the torrent file from site one, let it completely, either remove it from rtorrent OR add it to a new user which has read rights (this is the path i take)

When you add it, selete the download path (careful though, if you download to /home/wonslung/ and the file is /home/wonslung/SomeMovie you want to select /home/wonslung here, NOT /home/wonslung/SomeMovie)

Add the torrent as fast resume.

Next post i'll post in pictures to make it easier to understand

randac56

May 25, 2018
ok, heres the pictue post.

Provided you'd downloaded your torrent from site 1, and are ready to seed it on site 2 (you have deleted it from your first user OR you are adding it to a second user, either is fine, yuou just can't run 2 torrents with the same data at the same time ON THE SAME USER)

you click add torrent which brings up this window

you select the directory RIGHT UNDER your data. This is the dir you Downloaded the data TO. It's important you do this step right or you will end up downloading the torrent again, and we don't want that, we want to seed it with our data.

next, select the FAST RESUME option, This will keep you from having to resync the data. This is an optional step but it's handy because you can start seeding immediately instead of waiting for the data to be checked (note, for this to work you need to be 100% sure that the torrents contain the same data, otherwise you've made a major mistake) And click to add your torrent.

The final window should look like this:

if you've done this right, you will now be reseeding your torrent.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
I do this all the time with the same user and never had a problem. What i do is download a torrent from tracker 1 and wait for it to finish. Then go look for the same exact torrent at tracker 2 and download the .torrent file. Next, i just add the .torrent file from tracker 2 and have it download to the same path as the tracker 1 torrent. Finally, it starts to check right away and then begins to seed when its complete checking.

I usually leave both torrents running (seeding) when doing this and still havent ran into a problem. Sometimes i even do this with 4 different trackers, 4 of the same torrents with some even having to download a little more data and it still works fine with all torrents.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
well, before i explain this, you need to know that you can not run 2 torrents with the same hash at the same time. If you want to do that, you need to have 2 SEPARATE rtorrent's set up. The way i do this is quite simple though
Yu can run 2 or ore the same torrents at the same time , maybe becaue the announce is difference , that then also the hash is different .. but I never have problems when I seed on 2 trackers at teh same time

simur612

May 25, 2018
I do this all the time with the same user and never had a problem. What i do is download a torrent from tracker 1 and wait for it to finish. Then go look for the same exact torrent at tracker 2 and download the .torrent file. Next, i just add the .torrent file from tracker 2 and have it download to the same path as the tracker 1 torrent. Finally, it starts to check right away and then begins to seed when its complete checking.

I usually leave both torrents running (seeding) when doing this and still havent ran into a problem. Sometimes i even do this with 4 different trackers, 4 of the same torrents with some even having to download a little more data and it still works fine with all torrents.
you might think it's working but if the torrents have the same hash, i ASSURE you rtorrent only runs one of them.

simur612

May 25, 2018
Yu can run 2 or ore the same torrents at the same time , maybe becaue the announce is difference , that then also the hash is different .. but I never have problems when I seed on 2 trackers at teh same time
again. IF the hash is the same then it WILL NOT WORK.

you can look inside of rtorrent and you'll see that it isn't actually running but one.

randac56

May 25, 2018
you might think it's working but if the torrents have the same hash, i ASSURE you rtorrent only runs one of them.
The torrents are the same hash and are the exact same torrents, but are from several different private trackers. I use the same torrent data to upload to 4 different trackers constantly to build good buffers. When i do this there are 4 instances of the torrent running, but all are using the same data/path from the original torrent to upload. Each instance uses its own tracker announce and updates my stats just fine. Actually, as soon as i add the 2nd torrent, rtorrent starts to check the hash right away and then does the same for the 3rd & 4th.

Im not sure if this is what u are talking about ^^^, but this is what i do and it does work.

simur612

May 25, 2018
yes, this is possible, IF THE HASH IS DIFFERENT.

I'll give you a perfect example.

Go install wtorrent.
create 2 users. (wtorrent has mutliple users with a single rtorrent instance)

add one torrent to user1

add the same torrent to user2

watch rtorrent in screen or shell

It will not actually work. It's possible that different trackers provide different hashes. The fact of the matter is that 2 torrents with the same hash info will not work in rtorrent. I know EXACTLY what people are saying, i've got 4 copies of the exact same torrent data moving on different sites right now, but the torrent hash info is different, so it's not an issue. Occasionally, you WILL run into torrents with the same hash though. I've seen it before.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
It will not actually work. It's possible that different trackers provide different hashes. The fact of the matter is that 2 torrents with the same hash info will not work in rtorrent. I know EXACTLY what people are saying, i've got 4 copies of the exact same torrent data moving on different sites right now, but the torrent hash info is different, so it's not an issue. Occasionally, you WILL run into torrents with the same hash though. I've seen it before.
So far no problems , so I think this will only happen when you try the same torrent from the same tracker, as it looks like every tracker creates a different hash ,

That must also be the reason why it's so difficult (impossible) to get muliple users working on one instance of rtorrent.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Ok i see what u are saying. Honestly i never looked to see if the hash was the same. I figured since rtorrent was checking the hash as soon as i added the torrent, that it was the same. I guess i was wrong. Anyway, its good to know this and thanks Wonslung for the info in your above posts. I really appreciate it and all the work u and others put into this forum. Thank u and im new here so im glad to have finally spoken to u.

simur612

May 25, 2018
hehe, i try. Yes, this is why multiple user will always require one rtorrent per user. In all honesty, i don't see this as a major flaw. As you've rightly pointed out, 99% of the time, changing the torrent announce will change the hash.