Retrackers plugin as alternative to rsync/ftp for local file transfer?

jith45

May 25, 2018
I'm considering the idea of using bittorrent mechanisms for syncing files from a seedbox, rather than using rsync or ftp mechanism.

I know uTorrent has a limited built-in tracker, but I haven't found a reference to such a thing in rTorrent/libTorrent/ruTorrent. Does one exist?

I can see two basic approaches to making this work, although I'm sure there are others.

One option would be to maintain a private tracker just for this purpose and by RSS or syncing the .torrent files themselves create private swarms just between my seedbox and home server. Would the retracker plugin work for this purpose? I don't completely understand the implications of adding a tracker to an existing torrent file. If I add a private tracker to an existing torrent, is that change seen by existing trackers or anyone else in the swarm, or is it simply a newly available torrent in the new tracker?

Is it possible to do something simpler with DHT or Peer Exchange? Would it be possible to enable Peer Exchange or DHT only between certain IP's, perhaps with the assistance of firewall rules?