Run rTorrent and ruTorrent in Docker

jith45

May 25, 2018
Hi, everyone,

I've run my BitTorrent box in Docker container for almost one year. And recently I just packaged it to an all-in-one (rTorrent + ruTorrent) Docker image, hope it will be useful for someone here.

Please checkout my GitHub page for more detail: docktorrent

Highlights
  • All-in-one Docker container, build once and run everywhere.
  • Newest version of rTorrent and ruTorrent, with support of DHT and asynchronous DNS which will result in a more responsive rTorrent.
  • Enable all useful ruTorrent plugins by default.
  • Get a working BitTorrent box in less than 3 minutes, give it a quick try and tune the configs later.
  • rTorrent will automatic restarts on crash.
  • No more boring installation, also keep your OS in a clean state.
Quick Start

Clone my repository and build the image yourself:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/kfei/docktorrent
cd docktorrent
docker build -t docktorrent .
Since the building process may take some time. You can just pull the latest image from mine:
Code:
docker pull kfei/docktorrent
Now run the docktorrent container:
Code:
docker run -it \
-p 80:80 -p 45566:45566 -p 9527:9527/udp \
--dns 8.8.8.8 \
-v /data-store:/rtorrent \
docktorrent
Note that
  • The exposed ports are required for ruTorrent web interface, rTorrent listening and the DHT protocol according to your .rtorrent.rc.
  • The --dns 8.8.8.8 argument is optional but recommended. It seems like the current version of rTorrent still has some DNS issues, using Google's DNS may help.
  • The /data-store volume is for all downloads, torrents and session data, just make sure the disk space is enough.
  • If the container starts without errors, visit http://127.0.0.1 through any web browser, log in to with the default account: docktorrent/p@ssw0rd.
Requirement
All you need is to have Docker installed on your system. Check Docker Documentation for installation guide on your OS platform. (I highly recommend you to have a look at Docker.)

Feedback
Please let me know if you found any problem on docktorrent, suggestions also be appreciated. For example, should an FTP server be packaged in as well?

Happy seeding!

das329717

May 25, 2018
any tips on configuring /customizing the docktorrent? i like to have special directories that rtorrent writes to etc

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
followed instructions. couldn't get networking to work. gave up. This would be a neat idea, if the rtorrent config was easily customizable and it worked.