rutorrent 501 bad response apache mod_security CentOS

jith45

May 25, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have this weird server setup for CentOS, so I've tried tons of webUI front ends for rtorrent, but only rutorrent works, so props to you guys for that.

I've set up rtorrent semi-correctly, as outlined in the install instructions. (The only thing I can't do is connect to trackers, but that's not the main problem I have in this post.)

The error I get is:
[20.06.2010 00:51:55] Bad response from server: (501 [error,getuisettings]) <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN"> <html><head> <title>501 Method Not Implemented</title> </head><body> <h1>Method Not Implemented</h1> <p>POST to /rutorrent/php/getsettings.php not supported.
</p> </body></html>

After doing some research, this is caused by one of Apache's mod_security settings. Aside from disabling mod_security altogether, is there something else I can do to get POST to go through?

das329717

May 25, 2018
did you create a rutorrent/conf/users/USERNAME/config.php file?

if not, try that....if you DID then try setting your config connections in the standard config file at rutorrent/conf/config.php and temporary deleting the one in conf/users/USERNAME

I've seen this error pop up a few times....

check rutorrent/share/users/USERNAME/settings for the file uisettings.json

It's probably not being created.....that's the problem....if it IS there, then delete it, it may be corrupted.

Again, the few times i've seen this is was due to multi-user/webauth but thefix was to get rutorrent to create the proper files in share/users/USERNAME/settings and the way to do this was to remove the user config files in rutorrent/conf/users/USERNAME to let it default to the normal config file...then once it creates the proper files, you add the config.php file back to rutorrent/conf/users/USERNAME/

you will have to do this for each user....it is also possible you'rte hitting a different bug...

jith45

May 25, 2018
Thanks for the fast reply,

I think I fixed it by doing some apache htpasswd thing. I'm not entirely sure, though.