rutorrent commands not sticking

simur612

May 25, 2018
it depends....as sax says, there are library files for xmlrpc-c which can confuse the build process. That is why i specifiy my xmlrpc-c location the way i do.

also, xmlrpc-c the way i download it is a newer version than 1.21

randac56

May 25, 2018
it depends....as sax says, there are library files for xmlrpc-c which can confuse the build process. That is why i specifiy my xmlrpc-c location the way i do.

also, xmlrpc-c the way i download it is a newer version than 1.21
I will attempt a complete reinstall per your directions tonight then.

Update - after a complete reinstall from source of libtorrent, rtorrent and xmlrpc-c, I still exhibit this issue. I'm now running xmlrpc-c version 1.22.4 now. rtorrent/libtorrent are the same, and I didn't do anything with rutorrent - but it's at v3.1...

So what next? This is a disturbing issue, but not the end of the world for me. I wonder if rtgui or any of the other web front ends I've tried in the past have this same problem... This was actually why I switched away from torrentflux-b4rt, because a) it was slow and b) the webUI didn't seem to respond to my commands properly. For whatever reason, this only seems to effect stopping & pausing torrents via rutorrent. Thanks!!

Almost forgot the number of peers/seeds listed in rutorrent is identical for all torrents. So if one torrent says there's 100 seeds, it also says there's 100 peers. Another says 13 peers, it also says 13 seeds. Every single torrent is like that. I don't see a peer/seed list in the rtorrent ncurses interface, so I can't compare to see which value is correct.

randac56

May 25, 2018
I'm still experiencing this issue... any other suggestions? It's mildly annoying when I have a TON of torrents to manage, and I can't even pause the torrent...

simur612

May 25, 2018
i don't know what to tell you.

Sounds like you've compiled it wrong or you just don't have your system set up correctly.
I've run into a lot of errors but never the one you speak of. If you want me to look into it send root ssh access, hostname and name of an rutorrent user +url to [email protected]

randac56

May 25, 2018
Well I found going directly into rtorrent I can't really pause a torrent... perhaps I'm not understanding how rtorrent works. I'm not sure why the webui has the option if rtorrent can't do it. I'm looking into how the schedule works, basically I want a way to control how many torrents are open - but still keep them in the queue so I can seed them later. I have issues if I move the torrent file out of the 'watch' folder.

Sorry, I cannot give root access to my box. I may consider something like a teamviewer session or the like, but I don't exactly feel comfortable to giving root access out to my server. Thanks!

Hrm... 'schedule' does many things, but not what I really want it to do. I wish there was a way to set global max downloads, global max uploads, all active, etc. This is more of an rtorrent issue than an rutorrent issue...

But that makes me wonder, why does rutorrent have a pause/stop feature if it does not work within rtorrent? Perhaps I am misunderstanding about how rtorrent functions?

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Maybe we can get further if you could post us your rutorrent and rtorrent config.

If you feel that you are having a knowledge deficite about rtorrent maybe you should have a look around their site.
e.g.
Code:
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/wiki/RTorrentUserGuidePause/Stop equals Ctrl+D

There are so many bells and whistles that you can set within rtorrent and rutorrent together including the plugins ...

simur612

May 25, 2018
Well I found going directly into rtorrent I can't really pause a torrent... perhaps I'm not understanding how rtorrent works. I'm not sure why the webui has the option if rtorrent can't do it. I'm looking into how the schedule works, basically I want a way to control how many torrents are open - but still keep them in the queue so I can seed them later. I have issues if I move the torrent file out of the 'watch' folder.

Sorry, I cannot give root access to my box. I may consider something like a teamviewer session or the like, but I don't exactly feel comfortable to giving root access out to my server. Thanks!

Hrm... 'schedule' does many things, but not what I really want it to do. I wish there was a way to set global max downloads, global max uploads, all active, etc. This is more of an rtorrent issue than an rutorrent issue...

But that makes me wonder, why does rutorrent have a pause/stop feature if it does not work within rtorrent? Perhaps I am misunderstanding about how rtorrent functions?
thats on you bro, i normally CHARGE for fixing it. I'm nto going to work around your petty problems with giving me root.

If you can't do it the way i ask then you can figure it out yourself. what i was offering you was something i rarely do, which is help for free.

on 90% of the boxes i fix, if i have to log in, it's going to cost you money.

you've fucked up somewhere. you have either compiled something wrong, or have set something up wrong.
I was offering to help you fix it, but it's cool, you're welcome to fix it yourself. all the info you need to do so is available online for free, you just need to learn how to do it.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Hi arrrghhh,

You really do need to follow the advice given by wonslung and co, and use your best friend "google". If you have followed all the advice you have been given, you shouldn't have any issues with rutorrent. I UNDERSTAND giving your root access is something you are warned against by a lot of peeps from the world of torrenting, but there comes a time when you are having problems that you can not solve yourself or get outside help to sort your problem, ACCEPT wink.gif a helping hand from the developers of the client you are TRYING to use. I have and learnt a few things...lol

simur612

May 25, 2018
it's all good, i understand why someone might be reluctant to give out root access but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I normally don't even offer to log on a server unless i'm getting paid. I've done it for a few people in this forum, and i know novik has as well. It's not something i really like doing honestly, i'd rather get a problem solved via the support forums or if it's a bug, have it solved via a ticket on the project page but this has been a rather long issue and i thought it might be worth taking a look. Honestly, there is little i can do at this point....that was the last resort but i'm not willing to do teamviewer, ti's just out of the question. If i need to log in a server and i'm not getting paid it's gooing to be on my schedule working at my speed.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
wonslung and others - don't get me wrong by any means. I appreciate the help. I have used google. I have looked at the rtorrent site, and tried using CTRL-D myself to stop (or pause?) torrents... It doesn't seem to work. Same thing happens, the torrent seems to pause... er stop and then starts back up again. So perhaps the issue is with rtorrent itself...

Maybe I do have something compiled wrong - but I'm baffled that this is the effect. I actually do appreciate the offer to get into my box and fix it. Your attitude went downhill very quickly, and you started talking about getting paid... I must've struck a chord. I apologize. I would rather fix it myself and know what fixed it - because if I am able to fix it, then I have knowledge of what broke it (hopefully). I find when problems arise, fixing them myself gives me that much more knowledge about the system in general - I typically learn not only how to fix the potential problem, but how to report and diagnose other problems in the future.

So giving you root access in my mind is a bad idea because the issue is magically fixed! Without knowing what was the fix. I learn by doing, so please I welcome any advice in how to remedy the issue.

Saxfusion mentioned config files. Here they be:

.rtorrent.rc
Code:
# This is an example resource file for rTorrent. Copy to
# ~/.rtorrent.rc and enable/modify the options as needed. Remember to
# uncomment the options you wish to enable.

# Maximum and minimum number of peers to connect to per torrent.
min_peers = 40
max_peers = 100

# Same as above but for seeding completed torrents (-1 = same as downloading)
min_peers_seed = -1
max_peers_seed = 50

# Maximum number of simultanious uploads per torrent.
max_uploads = 15

#connection_leech = seed

# Global upload and download rate in KiB. "0" for unlimited.
download_rate = 0
upload_rate = 200

# Default directory to save the downloaded torrents.
directory = /var/www/downloads/Incomplete

# Default session directory. Make sure you don't run multiple instance
# of rtorrent using the same session directory. Perhaps using a
# relative path?
session = /var/www/downloads/torrents/session

# Watch a directory for new torrents, and stop those that have been
# deleted.
schedule = watch_directory,10,10,load_start=/var/www/downloads/torrents/*.torrent
schedule = tied_directory,10,10,start_tied=
schedule = untied_directory,10,10,close_untied=

# Move completed downloads
system.method.set_key = event.download.finished,move_complete,"execute=mv,-u,$d.get_base_path=,/var/www/downloads/Complete;d.set_directory=/var/www/downloads/Complete"

# Close torrents when diskspace is low.
#schedule = low_diskspace,5,60,close_low_diskspace=100M

# Enable the default ratio group
ratio.enable=

# Change the limits, the defaults should be sufficient
ratio.min.set=500
ratio.max.set=1000
ratio.upload.set=20M

# Changing the command triggered when the ratio is reached.
system.method.set = group.seeding.ratio.command, d.close=, d.erase=

# The ip address reported to the tracker.
#ip = 127.0.0.1
#ip = blabla.com

# The ip address the listening socket and outgoing connections is
# bound to.
#bind = 127.0.0.1
#bind = rakshasa.no

# Port range to use for listening.
port_range = 51630-51640

# Start opening ports at a random position within the port range.
port_random = yes

# Check hash for finished torrents. Might be usefull until the bug is
# fixed that causes lack of diskspace not to be properly reported.
check_hash = yes

# Set whetever the client should try to connect to UDP trackers.
#use_udp_trackers = yes

# Alternative calls to bind and ip that should handle dynamic ip's.
#schedule = ip_tick,0,1800,ip=rakshasa
#schedule = bind_tick,0,1800,bind=rakshasa

# Encryption options, set to none (default) or any combination of the following:
# allow_incoming, try_outgoing, require, require_RC4, enable_retry, prefer_plaintext
#
# The example value allows incoming encrypted connections, starts unencrypted
# outgoing connections but retries with encryption if they fail, preferring
# plaintext to RC4 encryption after the encrypted handshake
#
# encryption = allow_incoming,enable_retry,prefer_plaintext

#
# Do not modify the following parameters unless you know what you're doing.
#

# Hash read-ahead controls how many MB to request the kernel to read
# ahead. If the value is too low the disk may not be fully utilized,
# while if too high the kernel might not be able to keep the read
# pages in memory thus end up trashing.
#hash_read_ahead = 10

# Interval between attempts to check the hash, in milliseconds.
#hash_interval = 100

# Number of attempts to check the hash while using the mincore status,
# before forcing. Overworked systems might need lower values to get a
# decent hash checking rate.
#hash_max_tries = 10

# Max number of files to keep open simultaniously.
#max_open_files = 128

# Number of sockets to simultaneously keep open.
#max_open_sockets = <no default>

# Example of scheduling commands: Switch between two ip's every 5
# seconds.
#schedule = "ip_tick1,5,10,ip=torretta"
#schedule = "ip_tick2,10,10,ip=lampedusa"

# Remove a scheduled event.
#schedule_remove = "ip_tick1"

scgi_port=localhost:5000
rutorrent config.php (let me know if there's another file I should post...
Code:
<?php
// configuration parameters

// for snoopy client
@define(&#39;HTTP_USER_AGENT&#39;, &#39;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; pl; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0&#39;, true);
@define(&#39;HTTP_TIME_OUT&#39;, 30, true); // in seconds
@define(&#39;HTTP_USE_GZIP&#39;, true, true);

@define(&#39;RPC_TIME_OUT&#39;, 5, true); // in seconds

@define(&#39;LOG_RPC_CALLS&#39;, false, true);
@define(&#39;LOG_RPC_FAULTS&#39;, true, true);

// for php
@define(&#39;PHP_USE_GZIP&#39;, false, true);
@define(&#39;PHP_GZIP_LEVEL&#39;, 2, true);

$do_diagnostic = true;
$log_file = &#39;/tmp/errors.log&#39;; // path to log file (comment or make empty to disable logging)
$saveUploadedTorrents = true;

$topDirectory = &#39;/&#39;; // Upper available directory. Absolute path with trail slash.
$forbidUserSettings = false;

$scgi_port = 5000;
$scgi_host = "127.0.0.1";

$XMLRPCMountPoint = "/RPC2"; // DO NOT DELETE THIS LINE!!! DO NOT COMMENT THIS LINE!!!

$pathToExternals = array(
"php" => &#39;&#39;, // Something like /usr/bin/php. If empty, will be founded in PATH.
"curl" => &#39;&#39;, // Something like /usr/bin/curl. If empty, will be founded in PATH.
"gzip" => &#39;&#39;, // Something like /usr/bin/gzip. If empty, will be founded in PATH.
"id" => &#39;&#39;, // Something like /usr/bin/id. If empty, will be founded in PATH.
);

// For web->rtorrent link through unix domain socket
// (scgi_local in rtorrent conf file), change variables
// above to something like this:
//
// $scgi_port = 0;
// $scgi_host = "unix:///tmp/rpc.socket";

?>

simur612

May 25, 2018
i understand what you're saying. 2 things.

if you are trying control-D from screen it's NOT going to work if you have control set as the screen key-binds

try to load rtorrent just from ssh and see if control d works.

second thing. my attitude didn't go "down hill". I'm just being realistic. I do work on seedboxes as a side business and i make a good deal of money at it. I almost NEVER offer to help someone where i have to actually log in and fix the problem. 99% of the time i offer support online via this forum and the irc. Advice is free, but when i have to spend my time to log in and fix a server, whether it be a fix or a full install (which i do almost 1-2 a day these days) It's going to cost some money. This is not unusual when dealing with linux or FreeBSD servers. I'm not saying i would charge you a lot (i offered to do it for free) but i typically charge between 30-100 dollars to set up a seedbox depending on the customer and what i have to set up. (for instance, some setups like xen based vm's or openvz systems, or even getting solusvm working on an ovh server can be pretty time consuming, and more importantly, not everyone knows how to do it correctly)

Anyways, take it for what it's worth. I was trying to do you a favor, i'm cool with the fact that you don't "feel comfortable" with it, just try to see it for what it is.

Anyways, good luck. I hope you get it working.....if you REALLY want to do it correctly, then start over with a fresh install and this time follow some proper instructions...and don't use ubuntu......I'm not sure if you did but this is the biggest mistake i see people make. Ubuntu is NOT a server os, don't be fooled by the fact they have a server build. (I'm not sure you used ubuntu, but i'm just throwing it out there....)

Personally, i would recommend FreeBSD. It's very stable, and if you use ports to install rtorrent, you CANT fuck it up....FreeBSD ports, with rtorrent compiled with the defaults, will give you a working rtorrent GUARANTEED.

If you have to use linux, use debian if you're a noob. If you have some decent linux experience, you could use pretty much anything, though i would stay away from ubuntu and centos.

(centos is a decently stable server os but it has VERY old packages and will require some non-standard configuration or repositories to get everything working correctly)

Now, you can take everything with a grain of salt if you wish, i am HEAVILY biased, and i will be the FIRST to admit it.

Of course, my bias is based on experience.

simur612

May 25, 2018
do me a favor.

comment out all the lines with "system.method"

stop rtorrent

reload

let me know if that helps

randac56

May 25, 2018
I'd like to learn BSD... but that's a little above me. I do use Ubuntu. It works for me... I can try Debian, but Ubuntu is basically Debian already.

Again, that's all rebuilding my server for this issue. I completely agree I could be doing something wrong - I was using rtorrent thru the init script which invokes it via screen. I'll go and try it without screen now to see if it makes a difference - would this effect rutorrent, or is it just a test to see if I can actually pause/stop torrents via the default ncurses client?

That's impressive that you have that much business setting up seed boxes - more power to you! I definitely fix computers on the side - troubleshoot all sorts of problems. You definitely work with some interesting stuff, did you teach yourself? I'm all self-taught, but I'd like to take some classes. Anything you recommend in the way of learning FreeBSD? I feel like I know Linux fairly well, and I guess you'll hate me for saying it but of all the Linux distro's I've used, Ubuntu has been my favorite. I always come back to it. I would like to expand my horizons, just not on my so-called 'production' server tongue.gif Thanks again wonslung... I really did not mean to offend you in any way.

Just saw your post. The only system.method command I can find is for moving the files once the download is complete... I commented it out, did a stop/start on the init script and no dice... rutorrent still exhibits the same behavior. Let me try running rtorrent w/o screen and using ncurses to pause/stop a torrent...

I am just confused. In the ncurses interface on the "active" screen (key 9) if I ctrl-d items, they disappear and the reappear. Like they stop... and rtorrent says no! So they start back up again. Compiling it incorrectly... really?

simur612

May 25, 2018
I'd like to learn BSD... but that's a little above me. I do use Ubuntu. It works for me... I can try Debian, but Ubuntu is basically Debian already.
This is a just not true. saying ubuntu is basically debian is like saying an offroad voltswagon modified for racing in the desert is basically just a beatle.

It's just wrong.

Again, that's all rebuilding my server for this issue. I completely agree I could be doing something wrong - I was using rtorrent thru the init script which invokes it via screen. I'll go and try it without screen now to see if it makes a difference - would this effect rutorrent, or is it just a test to see if I can actually pause/stop torrents via the default ncurses client?​
no, yes

in that order.

That's impressive that you have that much business setting up seed boxes - more power to you! I definitely fix computers on the side - troubleshoot all sorts of problems. You definitely work with some interesting stuff, did you teach yourself? I'm all self-taught, but I'd like to take some classes. Anything you recommend in the way of learning FreeBSD? I feel like I know Linux fairly well, and I guess you'll hate me for saying it but of all the Linux distro's I've used, Ubuntu has been my favorite. I always come back to it. I would like to expand my horizons, just not on my so-called 'production' server tongue.gif Thanks again wonslung... I really did not mean to offend you in any way.​
FreeBSD is easier to use than linux. People who say it isn't have either:

A) never tried
or
B) have used linux for a very short amount of time but long enough to see some linuxism's as "the way to do things" when they are really just bad habits

Reasons FreeBSD is better than linux:

1) FreeBSD is a full os, linux is just a kernel. A typical linux distro has taken parts from 100 different places and twisted them to work together. FreeBSD is developed AS an os, kernel and userland

2) FreeBSD is has an older, much more stable code base. Unix dates back to the late 60's. FreeBSD is a TRUE unix.

3) FreeBSD has jails. Jails are amazing and once you've learned about them, you'll wonder why linux doesn't have them. (openvz is close to jails but its not nearly as simple to use, and fairly recent)

4) FreeBSD has a more reliable filesystem. ufs2 is much more reliable than the ext based filesystems as far as data loss goes and generally fast enough (though ext filesystems are often faster...this is because they sacrifice reliability for speed.)

5) FreeBSD has ports. Ports are a method of building software from source in a way that any idiot can handle. Instead of having to know what ./configure options to use for each piece of source software, yoiu just move to a directory, type make install and it brings up an easy to use ncurses menu with your options, you select them, and it builds them to spec with dependencies. This generally takes longer than a package system but the flip side to this is you get much more lean software, much newer, up to date software build FOR your needs. you also have a /etc/make.conf file in FreeBSD letting you set system wide compiler options. this allows you to set the cputype and other systemwide options (for instance, you can build python 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 biut you may want to set the system to build stuff with 2.6 by default)

6) FreeBSd has ZFS. While this might not matter so much for a small seedbox, ZFS is by far the most advanced filesystem around today for free, and 20 years ahead of ANYTHING in the linux world (no btrfs DOES NOT COUNT)

7) FreeBSD is very lean. you can install it in MUCH smaller spaces if you know what you're doing. I've built bare bones freebsd installs on 50 MB's but realistically it's not unheard of to use a 1gb or 512 MB space for the base system

cool.gif FreeBSD keeps the base system separate from the addons. To someone coming from the linux world, this might not seem like a big deal....just wait till you need to FIND soemthing installed on linux and you have to comb through /usr/bin or /usr/lib then get back to me after doing the same task on a FreeBSD system. On FreeBSD you can ALWASY find base system stuff AND ONLY BASE SYSTEM STUFF in /usr/bin, where /usr/local/bin will have your addon software.

9) FreeBSD doesn't use system V init scripts. I have NO IDEA why people love these stupid things....to give you an idea of what i mean, on ubuntu, debian...and MOST versions of linux you have start up scripts in /etc/init.d and if you actually WANT them to start at boot, you have to make a MESS of stupid symbolic links in different /etc/rc directories...this system is terrible. FreeBSD has a system where: All scripts are in /etc/rc.d/ for the base system (and /usr/local/etc/rc.d for addons) The scripts have dependiencies highlighted in them saying, basically "do not start this without first starting these things" and in order to make it start at boot, you simply make a single line entry into the /etc/rc.conf file like so

apache22_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"

I could go on all day....theres a number of reasons to use FreeBSD.....it's documented very well, the members on the mailing lists are generally more informed...it's just a better server os in my opinion.

Just saw your post. The only system.method command I can find is for moving the files once the download is complete... I commented it out, did a stop/start on the init script and no dice... rutorrent still exhibits the same behavior. Let me try running rtorrent w/o screen and using ncurses to pause/stop a torrent...

I am just confused. In the ncurses interface on the "active" screen (key 9) if I ctrl-d items, they disappear and the reappear. Like they stop... and rtorrent says no! So they start back up again. Compiling it incorrectly... really?​
I don't know what you've done. I'm not going to guess. I've told you what you need to do, what you d with the information is up to you.

I saw 2 such lines i thought you should comment out or i wouldnt' have said "lines"

randac56

May 25, 2018
Wow... Not even sure where to start. First, you probably know this... Ubuntu does a complete pull of Debian every time they start a new system update. So I'm not sure why you would say Debian is that different from Ubuntu. Ubuntu is built on Debian. I don't think this is really within the scope of the thread or even this forum however.

I've used FreeBSD. It is most definitely not easier, but I had already about a year of Linux experience under my belt so perhaps that was my issue? Not sure. I do like a lot of the things you describe in your post, I'm just concerned about migrating everything to it. That will have to be a slow process on my end, because I don't want to move to a system I can't fix. Not that I can fix everything that could break with my current system, but I have a pretty good understanding of where to start if something is borked. I'd like to have some of that knowledge before I switch my file server over to FreeBSD. Again, kind of off-topic for this forum/thread.

Damnit, I swear I searched my own conf file and only found one. Now I do find two... D'oh. I'll test again today. I have done what you tried, I completely ripped all XMLRPC, libtorrent, rtorrent and rutorrent out of my system and rebuilt each from scratch - which you gave a great step-by-step on what needs to be done. It all went just fine, but I was still experiencing the issue.

Perhaps I am asking you to guess - mainly because your guess would be a much more educated guess than mine. I have no clue why I cannot stop/pause torrents. It's not the end of the world for me, but it is a little maddening when I have a lot of torrents to manage and I only want certain ones running. Moving around the actual .torrent files has caused issues for me, so I don't really want to do that anymore. Plus, it's a pain tongue.gif

I'll comment out that other system.method line. Still not sure how I missed it, go figure.

I am just confused. In the ncurses interface on the "active" screen (key 9) if I ctrl-d items, they disappear and the reappear. Like they stop... and rtorrent says no! So they start back up again. Compiling it incorrectly... really?​
This still baffles me. I don't see how ME compiling it somehow incorrectly would cause this issue. I really, genuinely do not understand how that could happen. It seems like a bug in rtorrent, but there's obviously something unique about my setup because I'm sure a lot of other people would've complained about it.

simur612

May 25, 2018
it's not a bug in rtorrent or rutorrent, it's human error.

If i can set up hundreds of seedboxes which work, and i can help 95% of the people who have errors fix them (none of who have your error) then it's a mistake you've made somewhere. I've done all i can do. I do not have enough information to guess any more than i have. I've tried all i can do. At this point you can either:

Start over
Pay someone who knows what they are doing to set it up for you
Live with it.

I have nothing else to offer...i've done the best i can

saroos1

May 25, 2018
You need to do as wonslung said. I can't remember if you said you had a rented dedicated server, either way home or commercial it seems that it would prudent of you to re-image your server and start afresh and follow wonslungs install guide of rtorrent (REMEMBER to install the dependancies).

There is nothing wrong with the tarball release of rtorrent or libtorrent. You will only get issues if you use the svn version of rtorrent in conjunction with the latest rutorrent.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Alrighty, I'll go for another recompile tonight. Anything I should remove first, or should I just recompile everything? (Everything being rtorrent, libtorrent, XMLRPC and rutorrent...) If I'm starting fresh with this server it's going to be a while, because I literally just started fresh with it not 3 months ago.

It may be human error, I'd just like to know where. I'll keep plugging at it. Thanks for the help

simur612

May 25, 2018
remove the entire os.

don't use ubuntu

go with debian lenny or squeeze (even though you think it's the same, it's not.)

install xmlrpc-c svn

install libtorrent from latest stable tarballz
install rtorrent with xmlrpc-c from latest stable tarballz
install php 5.2.10 or better (5.3 would be best)
install some webserver (apache being the best for a noob)
install rutorrent svn

profit.