Set global up/down rates from main screen?

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Hi. Great UI - awesome job!

One feature that would like to see would be the option to adjust the global up and down rates from the main window. It would be great to see them displayed and easily accessible instead of going to the Settings -> Connection window.

I've always found that it is very helpful to be able to throttle the rates when I need more bandwidth for something else...

randac56

May 25, 2018
well, you know with versions of rtorrent past 0.8.5 you can set multiple throttle levels.

Also, you can set up scheduler

which version of rtorrent are you running?
which version of rutorrent are you running?
are you running any plugins?

peshua19

May 25, 2018
I'm running rutorrent svn r559 and rtorrent 0.8.5

Yes, I know about the scheduler and multiple throttle levels. I think that a nice feature is to adjust the up/down rates easily, at any time. For example, the new builds of Transmission have a quick feature for throttling the up/down rates manually.

I like to adjust my bittorrent bandwidth when I want to quickly ftp something large. Then I return my bittorrent bandwidth to what it was previously. This just happens when I need it - it isn't scheduled, nor do I care about throttling each torrent - just total bandwidth.

randac56

May 25, 2018
ahh, i use ALTQ traffic shaping for that sort of thing...but i kind of see what you mean. I would imagine you could write a plugin to do this.

I'm sure anything you come up with would be added to the plugin repos.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Yeah, my router sucks so traffic shaping isn't a good option right now...

If I find the time, I'll throw together something for this - it should be easy via the rpc calls. I don't have much web development background so it'll be fun. I'll have to look into what the plugin architecture lets you do - I'd want this feature to be easy to access, so probably on the button bar next to the search box.

randac56

May 25, 2018
that's awesome man, well i know novik has been super helpful with anything i've needed...i also know he's open to plugin development.

As far as routers go, have you ever considered building one?
you can take an old p3 or p4 (or better) with 2 nics (and a wifi card if you want wifi) with a network switch and build a kick ass router.

most commercial routers suck. They have 200 mhz processors and maybe 32-64 MB ram.

A p3 blows this away.

There is even a GREAT project called PFSENSE which will run off of a live cd, provided you have hardware for it.

also, you can pick up an intel pci dual nic card for like 15-25 dollars on ebay. I built my router (though i run FreeBSD with pf instead of pfsense)
and it's one of the best things i've done. i run my own squid server on it too, which can make your web browsing faster and save on bandwidth too

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Haha, yeah, I know. Years ago I had a simple linux box running with a simple ipchains setup and rinetd, then I moved to the smoothwall project for simplicity instead of doing it all myself.

Problem was, it was noisy and took up space and too much power, so I recycled it.

Now, I'm planning on moving to a mini-itx solution when I want a new little project to do (small, quiet, and cheap to run). That isn't happening anytime soon though - I just redid my HTPC where I moved from a 6 year old Athlon to something modern and slick enough to quietly run all the HD content I can throw at it: XBMC with a MythTV backend running on Gentoo. It rocks. Hell, that's my torrent box, web, and svn server too. ...I'm pretty happy with it! smiley.gif

As to an rutorrent plugin - I won't start that anytime soon either. Holidays and work are in the way for now, but I'll keep it in mind.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Quote :
Haha, yeah, I know. Years ago I had a simple linux box running with a simple ipchains setup and rinetd, then I moved to the smoothwall project for simplicity instead of doing it all myself.

Problem was, it was noisy and took up space and too much power, so I recycled it.

Now, I'm planning on moving to a mini-itx solution when I want a new little project to do (small, quiet, and cheap to run). That isn't happening anytime soon though - I just redid my HTPC where I moved from a 6 year old Athlon to something modern and slick enough to quietly run all the HD content I can throw at it: XBMC with a MythTV backend running on Gentoo. It rocks. Hell, that's my torrent box, web, and svn server too. ...I'm pretty happy with it! smiley.gif

As to an rutorrent plugin - I won't start that anytime soon either. Holidays and work are in the way for now, but I'll keep it in mind.

as a firewall, pf blows iptables/ipchains or netfilter away. it is not only a better stateful firewall, it is also much more secure and much MUCH easier to set up.
pfsense is designed around pf for newbs who don't want to do it themselves. I implore you to try it if you've used any other sort of linux firewall (pfsense is FreeBSD based which anyone who knows what they are talking about will tell you is a better system)

My network is beastly. I have a pf firewall running transparent squid to speed up my networks web browsing. I also have a NAS which is based around Supermicr MBD-X7SBE motherboard with 8 gb ram, 20 1tb hard drives running ZFS on OpenSolaris.
It's sick