"...unfinished chunks" error after manually moving folders with File Manager

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Hi -

I have seen posts where users have received the following error after moving folders with autotools:
"Download registered as completed, but hash check returned unfinished chunks."

However, I receive this error when I move folders manually using the built-in ruTorrent File Manager. If a torrent completes, and I leave the received folder exactly where it arrived, then everything is fine: the Done column is 100% and the torrent seeds without any problems. However, if I move the folder using File Manager, then I receive the above error -- also, the "Done" column drops from 100% to 0% and the torrent will not seed (stays in paused state). For example, a torrent in a folder named "Example Radio Program" arrives in the folder named "Incoming Folders". I use File Manager to move the "Example Radio Program" folder to a folder named "Archived Folders". In other words, the original path is ".../rtorrent/Incoming Folders/Example Radio Program/[individual files such as mp3, txt, etc.]" and the new path is ".../rtorrent/Archived Folders/Example Radio Program/[individual files such as mp3, txt, etc.]" -- I do not touch the individual files or rename the folder -- I simply move the entire folder intact.

I have tried performing a "Force Recheck" on the torrent after the move, but the error remains. Also, if I use File Manager to move the folder back to its original location, the error remains. When I do a "Force Recheck" after moving the folder back to its original location, the Done column progresses from 0% to 100%, but the error remains (this seems especially odd).

Also, I have tried pausing the torrent stream before moving the associated folder, but that doesn't seem to help. One more thing: the error is not intermittent -- it seems to happen every time after a folder is moved.

My configuration:
I'm using a well known seedbox service (semi-dedicated server with my own unique ip address). I'm using it pretty much "as is" -- I may have changed a couple minor settings -- I can't recall -- but I am sure I didn't make any major changes).
ruTorrent: 3.5
rTorrent: 0.9.2/0.13.2
All autotools are off
Default directory for downloads: /home/[myusername]/rtorrent/downloads/Incoming Folders
(The default directory path above was already configured when I started using the seedbox except I added the end destination folder "Incoming Folders". I created "Incoming Folders" with File Manager and then added the name to the end of the default path in Settings. As I mentioned, when folders arrive in "Incoming Folders" and I leave them there, everything is fine. The problem only occurs after I move them to the folder named "Archived Folders" (or to any other folder). I do wait until the torrents complete before I move their associated folders -- I also pause the torrents).

I'm not new to torrenting, but I am new to ruTorrent (which I really like) -- I wonder if I'm missing something that should be obvious or if I'm making some bonehead mistake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. smiley.gif

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Hi -

I have seen posts where users have received the following error after moving folders with autotools:
"Download registered as completed, but hash check returned unfinished chunks."

However, I receive this error when I move folders manually using the built-in ruTorrent File Manager. If a torrent completes, and I leave the received folder exactly where it arrived, then everything is fine: the Done column is 100% and the torrent seeds without any problems. However, if I move the folder using File Manager, then I receive the above error -- also, the "Done" column drops from 100% to 0% and the torrent will not seed (stays in paused state). For example, a torrent in a folder named "Example Radio Program" arrives in the folder named "Incoming Folders". I use File Manager to move the "Example Radio Program" folder to a folder named "Archived Folders". In other words, the original path is ".../rtorrent/Incoming Folders/Example Radio Program/[individual files such as mp3, txt, etc.]" and the new path is ".../rtorrent/Archived Folders/Example Radio Program/[individual files such as mp3, txt, etc.]" -- I do not touch the individual files or rename the folder -- I simply move the entire folder intact.

I have tried performing a "Force Recheck" on the torrent after the move, but the error remains. Also, if I use File Manager to move the folder back to its original location, the error remains. When I do a "Force Recheck" after moving the folder back to its original location, the Done column progresses from 0% to 100%, but the error remains (this seems especially odd).

Also, I have tried pausing the torrent stream before moving the associated folder, but that doesn't seem to help. One more thing: the error is not intermittent -- it seems to happen every time after a folder is moved.

My configuration:
I'm using a well known seedbox service (semi-dedicated server with my own unique ip address). I'm using it pretty much "as is" -- I may have changed a couple minor settings -- I can't recall -- but I am sure I didn't make any major changes).
ruTorrent: 3.5
rTorrent: 0.9.2/0.13.2
All autotools are off
Default directory for downloads: /home/[myusername]/rtorrent/downloads/Incoming Folders
(The default directory path above was already configured when I started using the seedbox except I added the end destination folder "Incoming Folders". I created "Incoming Folders" with File Manager and then added the name to the end of the default path in Settings. As I mentioned, when folders arrive in "Incoming Folders" and I leave them there, everything is fine. The problem only occurs after I move them to the folder named "Archived Folders" (or to any other folder). I do wait until the torrents complete before I move their associated folders -- I also pause the torrents).

I'm not new to torrenting, but I am new to ruTorrent (which I really like) -- I wonder if I'm missing something that should be obvious or if I'm making some bonehead mistake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. smiley.gif
And this is a normal behavior. Try to answer to the one question - how rtorrent must know about your moving?

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Thanks for the reply. Oh -- I was using File Manager within ruTorrent because I thought it would adjust pointers to the folder that is associated with the torrent, but that was probably a bad assumption on my part. I guess that once a torrent is streaming, there is no way to move the associated folder without ending the torrent stream. I was hoping that once a torrent is completed, I could move the folder using File Manager but continue to upload to the swarm. The purpose in moving the folder was just to stay organized. I guess I'll just leave all my folders where they are for as long as I'm uploading.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Thanks for the reply. Oh -- I was using File Manager within ruTorrent because I thought it would adjust pointers to the folder that is associated with the torrent, but that was probably a bad assumption on my part. I guess that once a torrent is streaming, there is no way to move the associated folder without ending the torrent stream. I was hoping that once a torrent is completed, I could move the folder using File Manager but continue to upload to the swarm. The purpose in moving the folder was just to stay organized. I guess I'll just leave all my folders where they are for as long as I'm uploading.
You can't do this, because this is a *File* Manager. It doesn't know anything about rtorrent (and it can work without rtorrent at all). For moving torrents you must use plugin '_datadir' (it add command 'Save As' to the torrent's context menu).

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Thanks for clarifying this for me. And thanks for the tip to use the plugin -- I plan to install it soon. I really appreciate your help.