Resolve peer hostnames

somus1735

May 25, 2018
I would love to see the hostnames of torrent Peers instead of IPs. Activation could be configurable.
GeoIP plugin resolves countries, but I would simply want hostname instead of IP.

Moreover I don't have the possibility to install php-geoip on my Synology NAS as it's using ipkg, therefore simple hostname would make sense. uTorrent has this feature - works like a charm.

somus1735

May 25, 2018
Sounds like "I can do it myself", but need anyone to confirm that this is needed not only for me smiley.gif

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
Quote :
I would love to see the hostnames of torrent Peers instead of IPs. Activation could be configurable.

It *already* configurable. Check plugins/geoip/conf.php.

somus1735

May 25, 2018
GeoIP does not activate because I do not have php-geoip installed and I am not sure I am able to do it the easy way on my rutorrent device.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
Quote :
GeoIP does not activate because I do not have php-geoip installed and I am not sure I am able to do it the easy way on my rutorrent device.

Yet once. Check plugins/geoip/conf.php. Is you understand English?

somus1735

May 25, 2018
Ok, got it
Code: (php)
$retrieveCountry = true;
$retrieveHost = false;

However geoip description on wiki does not say anything about hostname resolving. Why not enable both variables to true so that country AND hostname are resolved by default. If php-geoip does not exist, then only hostname would be resolved by default.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
Quote :
geoip description on wiki

Wiki contents has relation to version 2.8.

Quote :
Why not enable both variables to true so that country AND hostname are resolved by default. If php-geoip does not exist, then only hostname would be resolved by default.

Because reverse DNS is very slow on most of systems.

somus1735

May 25, 2018
well, rDNS works fine on most of desktops as uTorrent has it enabled by default. However I won't argue on this one, could be you're right... just needs wiki correction so that users could find this feature.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
rDNS can be horribly slow.

Almost ALL servers options have this disabled by default because of this issue.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Quote :
How come it works totally fine on desktops?

well technically it doesn't

Some desktops keep a cache of dns info but true RDNS is just as slow, if not slower than servers.

The illusion of it working on a desktop is due to the fact that 90% of the ip's you look up have already been looked up before, and hit the cahce

somus1735

May 25, 2018
Well, then that's fine, let's keep cache within ruTorrent and clear it once it reaches some limit.

somus1735

May 25, 2018
well rtorrent works "just fine" via console, but someone needed WebUI... ok, leave it, I see that you guys don't want it no matter what...

jith45

May 25, 2018
dude, no, it's not that. It's that you are asking for something that already works.

There is a pluign which does this already, you've been told 3 times, unless we just don't understand each other.

If there is another option whihc isn't in rutorrent that you want added, by all means open a bounty for it.

i mean, if you read what novik said:

GEOIP already resolves hosts....just edit the conf.php to look like this:

Code:
<?php^M
// configuration parameters^M
^M
$retrieveCountry = false;^M
$retrieveHost = true;^M
^M
?>^M

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
I was refering to having hostname resolving enabled by default instead of enabling it via config editing.

jith45

May 25, 2018
yes, but that's an unrealistic ideal.

We've explained for multiple reasons why it is disabled.

It's an option which CAN be enabled if you need it, but 95% of the people using rutorrent don't need it, dont' care or don't want to use it.

We added the option for the 5% who DO want it, asking for it to be on by default is selfish and unreasonable considering you can just enable it yourself if you need it.