A few basic questions from a new user...

simur612

May 25, 2018
Hi.

The forum looks good, and seems to be just what I need, so thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

I've never used a seedbox before and I'm looking at using http://getaseedbox.com as my provider because they seem to offer very competitive deals. They also use Rutorrent as their torrent client, and their FAQ section sent me here. I haven't signed up yet and, before I do, I'd like to understand what's going on. I don't know about these questions, so forgive me if they don't make much sense and/or appear rather basic - I just really don't know much on what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty clued up on utorrent as I've been using it on my own PCs for years, but a few things that happened recently, along with the ongoing ratio battle, have made me look for a more secure, and faster torrent host. On a home PC I'm pretty handy, but dealing with VPN's and seedboxes is a new thing for me so if you could help me out with just a few things to get started, I'd greatly appreciate it.. Also, I'll possibily have a few other questions in the future, but I'll get to them when needed.

So, let's see..

I suppose as this is my first post here, it's also a kind of introduction as well, hence the extra jibber-jabber included.

Basically, for today, could you just tell me how I get files to and from Rutorrent/my seedbox & my pc? Is it done with an FTP program or is it as simple as clicking a few links or??

Thanks again for your help.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
it depends on how the server is set up but the standard method is via ftp or sftp.

Some providers also set up http download links.

do yourself a favor...ifyou can afford it, get a small dedi...which country do you live in?

simur612

May 25, 2018
Thanks.

Australia.

My main problem is that my ISP throttles everything. I have 270 metres of line between me and the exchange and my modem syncs @ 24533kbps. On my previous ISP I could speed test @ 20Mbps (it's an ADSL2+ 24/1 connection $150 x 200GB a month) and with this ISP (ADSL2+ 24/1 connection $90 x unlimited a month) I can only get to about 600KBps and bit torrent will max out at about 450KBps, but the kicker is these guys give unlimited data every month. So far this month I've d/led 730GB so it's well worth copping a kick in the nuts with speed.

I was happy and everything, but 2 days ago I had bit torrent maxed out @ 450KBps when I started a TV season pack from a popular private bit torrent TV tracker and my bit torrent quickly spun up to 1.2MBps and sat on that until the pack finished, then it went back to it's 450KBps; that's nearly 10Mbps. Checked it again the same way - maxed it out on torrents from other trackers and forced another pack to run from the private tracker & back up to 1.2MBps.. Even when nothing else is running and I do a speed test I can only get 4.8Mbps so this is really weird. The puzzle is how does that tracker get my pc to d/l faster than I can run a speed test...

The real reason I was looking at a seedbox was to get my torrents arrive in the box at fast speeds, and then take what I want, in the order I want, one at a time, from the box to my pc. It's not going to be a big fairyland torrent-world seed machine, it's really only for a bit more privacy and a bit control over when I can get access to a torrent instead of running several at a time and have them floating in here at 50KBps each.

I only need a small box or dedi with a 100Mb line & 100GB or less of storage.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't know much about external servers, but I figured that if I could acheive what I mentioned before, I'd be happy enough. If it didn't work out, I'd just go back to what I'm currently doing. So, that's the full picture..

What do you say??

saroos1

May 25, 2018
i'd look for an ovh reseller. they have a budget line called "kimsufi"

The setup fee is a little harsh (50 euros or pounds depending on which country your reseller is in) but the monthly fee isn't horrible. Another good provider is server.lu

You probably don't want a shared box from any provider because most of them overshare. PM me, i know a few decent resellers...or you could find your own. It's all about how much you want to spend...i have a small kimsufi box and it's been great...they come wiht 3 TB a month bandwidth but they don't charge for ovh-ovh traffic which turns out to be a good deal of it (because 90% of all seedboxes are on ovh)

I've NEVER gone over. I know of a guy who went over once but it's rare.....you have to be doing some serious downloading to go over.

Anyways, as far as price goes, ovh is probably the best...the only problem is they don't sell in your country so you have to go through a reseller, which means you can tack on 10 pounds or so.

still...it's well worth it...If you have a friend who live in france, germany or the uk, then you might be able to get them to buy one for you.

Oh, i hear they sell to americans and canadians now too but i haven't tried those yet.