How to use rutorrent: extsearch plugin

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
Extsearch adds a much requested feature of an internal search for your favorite sites with out leaving the rutorrent url.

It's installed like any other plugin. (as of the writing of this document, it's only available by svn, but should be available as a normal plugin for the 3.2 release)

(note: This plugin is not compatible with the older search plugin, so please disable it in plugins.ini or remove it entirely before installing extsearch)

There are a few noteworthy settings in "settings/search" Especially if you intend to use any of the private tracker Engines.

(note: If there is a site which you would like added, provide me with an invite and i will do my best to make it happen, this is the ONLY way new sites will be added unless you add them yourself, my email is [email protected])

It's also important to note that if a site changes it's layout/code these engines may be rendered useless but we will do our best to keep them current.

Here is a couple screenshots of the "settings/search" menu.

It's very important to note that private sites are all disabled by default AND REQUIRE COOKIES to be added (the "format of cookies" section under settings/search is ONLY PROVIDED AS A REFERENCE. For more information about adding cookies to rutorrent please see http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=186.0 and http://code.google.com/p/rutorrent/wiki/PluginCookies)

once you've added your cookies and set your settings, it's time to search.

look for the search bar at the top of the screen, as shown in the next screenshot

search02.png

click on the magnifying glass icon and select which search engine you wish to use

you can now enter your search term on the left, and pick the search category on the right (note: These categories are different based on each engine, if you're not sure which category to use, just leave the default "ALL" selected)

hit enter to search.

It may take a few seconds to process but when the search is done you should notice 2 things: one, if you receive any results they will appear in the main window:

search05.png

and two, an entry for your search will be added to the left panel under "search" with the search engine name, search query and number of results as shown in the next screenshot:

search04.png

right clicking on these search items on the left panel will bring up this menu:

search11.png

Loading items from a search are similar to loading items from an rss feed. Basically, you just select the item and click "play" or rightclick the item and select "load"

search06.png

This should bring up a familar window like so:

search07.png

You can select any option you want here, just clicking "ok" will download the item to your default download directory.

search08.png

All in all, it's pretty straightforward and convenient.

Attachments

simur612

May 25, 2018
It is a great guide again, cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

I was wondering, is that hard to learn How to add new public or private torrent site into the available option list for search?

is there a guide for it?

I just thought you and Novik65 probably receive a lot of email for the new site requests. Implicitly speaking, there are a lot of work for you guys to cover the general public needs, it is not really fair for you guys anyway. Maybe everyone who wish to extend feature further, then we shall work together and make it happens.

Best Regards

Attachments

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Hi I've Located my UID's and PASS's and etc etc.

When i go to edit the line of code in the private trackers section (the ones that don't pertain to the loginMgr) and they have the uid=XXX etc...

i can't remove the XXX (it wont let me backspace the text) and put the Code in... with out this i can't seem to get the search function to work. This is happening on all 3 Private Trackers i've got details for.

Regards.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Hello i cannot get the searchext plugin to work always get this error

Bad response from server: (500 [error,extsearch])

Using debian squeeze with rtorrent version 0.8.9/0.12.9 and i believe rutorrent version 3.2 with searchext version 3.2

I have added

[search]
enabled = No

to plugins.ini trying to disable the old search

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Hello, I can't get HD-Torrents to work with extsearch plugin.

I Go to Settings - Cookies and put:
hd-torrents.org|uid=88332;pass=111...hidden because of piracy...111;
hd-torrents.me|uid=88332;pass=pass=111...hidden because of piracy...111;
hdts.ru|uid=88332;pass=pass=111...hidden because of piracy...111;

Then I go to Settings - Search and activate HDTorrents private Engine but it never returns any result. I already configure another private engines as HD-Torrents RSS and all work fine except this one.

Can you help me PLEASE?

Thanks.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
im sorry torrent sites are not working

torrentday
iptorrent
blackcat-games
pretome.info
bitgamer

thanks

randac56

May 25, 2018
Would be nice to have an option in the config to hide public trackers rather than having to delete from /engines/

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Oh, I understand. And it defaults to "local torrents" which is why it was greyed out and didn't return any results.

Maybe if there was a down arrow on the magnifying glass, or tiny down arrow that showed up after the box (separate icon) to indicate that there are other options?

In any case it seems incredibly obvious to me now. I suppose I thought it was just an icon before.

Thanks

randac56

May 25, 2018
Is it possible that someone could be so kind, as to create a second "cousin plugin" that will allow us to input additional search engines without having to edit, or understand complex code? So many search engines come and go all the time, it really would be nice if the user has this option. Please the user would not have to deal with the annoying pop-ups from visiting many of these tracker sites... Thanks...