Need your suggestion regarding multi-user installation alternatives

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Hello people,

In 5 or 6 days, i'll be leaving my seedbox provider and will get myself a VPS. I've read a lot of stuff here and found nice scripts that i'm sure will be helpful as i'm not an expert on this kind of stuff.
The VPS will be a 250GB one with 3GB RAM and i would like to share 100GB with another friend/user. So, question: whats the best way to "safely" (you'll understand what i mean) do that? I already tutorials about this and i know i have several ways to do it, so please don't ask me to search tongue.gif... What i really need to know is if its possible to give that second user a certain amount of HDD and how many RAM he will have. I know i can do this with unix commands for a given user, but how is it made on a multi-client ruTorrent? Also, how can i determine the permissions for that user (here's the safety part)? I know how to this via unix commands, but how is it managed on multi client ruTorrent? I only want him to save torrents on a specific directory (he can then add sub dirs) and download files from that dir only - don't want him to mess with my scripts and all that... Also, i've seen somewhere that i can add multi-users with other different IPS...well, my VPS will have 2 IPS - is that helpful?

Please, let me know you're feedback! smiley.gif

das329717

May 25, 2018
I wouldnt' use a VPS If you can get a dedi.

If you MUST use a vps, it would depends on the VPS software. For instance: a XEN based VPS is going to behave VERY different than am openvz based VPS.

Either way, it's going to be somewhat more difficult to share an exact amount with a friend. If you don't mind sharing and not putting a limit on your friend, it will be WAY easier.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Thanks for the reply.
Well, a dedicated server is far more expensive. sad.gif This one (250GB and 3GB RAM) would cost me 28$ because i would have a limited 20% discount... I could ask the provider whether they are OpenVZ or XEN based VPS... The point to share a VPS would be exactly that: share some HDD space with somebody else to reduce the cost of it. So...should i not try to do so?

das329717

May 25, 2018
Well like i said, As long as you don't want to do something like:

Limit user 1 to 150 gb
Limit user 2 to 100 gb

you should be fine.

If you DO want to put hard limits, it's going to be harder because:

most vps's don't allow you to partition
rtorrent doesn't work with quota

So it depends.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
I see... Well, if i do create one user with that limit (downloads will go to a different folders, different plugins, etc...), he/she couldn't do no harm to the server as he/she will only have access to ruTorrent, right? Can't i setup that account to download ONLY to a specific folder so to prevent possible damages? Also,with that user's FTP account i can restrict the permissions, right? This way, the user could access only is download folder... So...it won't do no harm, right?

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
das, i'm thinking of getting me a VPS from vStar (i have 20% discount)... Are they any good? Do you know any other VPS provider better then vStar? I guess i'll try it for a month and will see how it behaves with multi user. As i know the guy who will be there too, i can tell him is max HDD is 75GB although he has absolutely no restriction (he doesn't need to know that tongue.gif...i will contact him if he is over that limit...).
Being so, this script should help me http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=608.0 right? Will i then be able to create a FTP user with access to one and only one specific dir (his rTorrent download dir)?

I really need some feedback... Also, if you can, please indicate me other VPS or cheap Dedicated alternatives...

das329717

May 25, 2018
absolutely, you can set it to a top level directory.

What i was saying is it would be difficult to limit how much data was allowed ot be saved there, for instance, imagine you have 250 gb and 2 users

users home directories were

/home/user1
/home/user2

They would SHARE the total 250 gb space, so if user1 downloaded 200 gb, only 50 gb would be available.

If you are ok with this, its very simple to lock user1 to his home or some other directory

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Great!

Can you tell me how can i do that? Both users will have a different .rtorrent.rc and plugins, righ? Will the script i mentioned before allow me to do just that?

das329717

May 25, 2018
yes, you can set a different .rtorrent.rc for each user, and you can use a plugin.ini for each user to set which plugins they are allowed to use

you can also create different confs for each plugin if needed...it's all in the wiki...if you have a specific question, i can help.