RSS Manager - Download .torrent File to a Watch Directory

das329717

May 25, 2018
Hello,

One downfall of the RSS Manager of rutorrent that I can't seem to work around: being able to specify a directory where just the .torrent file is downloaded to, and let the directory of that torrent's data be specified somewhere else.

For example, I currently have to use RSSDLer to parse tracker RSS feeds because of this. When a .torrent file is downloaded by RSSDLer, I simply specify to save it into a rtorrent watch directory and then label/move it based on a .rtorrentrc config line:

schedule = watch_directory_1,10,10,"load_start=/media/tdrive/rtorrent/watch/bitme/*.torrent,d.set_custom1=/media/tdrive/rtorrent/complete/bitme/"

It would be great if the RSS Manager could allow us to specify where to save the .torrent file only. You could then use rtorrent itself or Automove to move the actual torrent data contents around as you wish.

Forgive me if this has already been suggested or if this is currently possible. I've attached a screenshot to show a bit more detail.

jith45

May 25, 2018
For which reason you need this? Real situation, please?

You already have download functionality, you don't need for rtorrent for this. You already could use automove plugin to move the actual torrent data contents around as you wish.

das329717

May 25, 2018
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain good enough. Yes, it's true that I already use watch directories and automoving through rtorrent itself using the .rtorrentrc config line above. When I download a .torrent file from a tracker I save the .torrent file to a particular /trackername/watch/ directory and it stays there. While the torrent data is downloading, the data resides in a generic /incomplete/ directory. When the torrent is complete the data is moved from the /incomplete directory to a particular /trackername/complete/ directory.

In regard to rutorrent's RSS Manager, when a desired torrent is matched through an RSS feed, I would like it to download the .torrent file to a particular /trackername/watch/ directory and that's it. I would like the location of the incomplete and complete torrent data locations to be handled by rtorrent itself through the watch, incomplete, and complete configurations that I already have set up inside .rtorrentrc.

My understanding is that rutorrent's RSS Manager will download the .torrent file and the data to the directory that is specified in the RSS Manager settings for a particular feed (screenshot in my first post). This is not what I want. I and others like to separate .torrent file locations, incomplete data locations, and complete data locations for organization.

I hope that makes sense smiley.gif I could be wrong about rutorrent's RSS Manager? Otherwise, it would be a great feature! Thank you!

Attachments

jith45

May 25, 2018
Yet once - you can do all of this with ruTorrent plugins. In common words - with ruTorrent you don't need use watch directory and automoving from the .rtorrentrc.

das329717

May 25, 2018
Yes, but I still think it would be more flexible if RUTorrent would just download the .torrent file via RSS to a location we specify. We could then control what we want to do with that .torrent file, the incomplete data, and the complete data, natively through .rtorrentrc. As on now, RUTorrent forces a decision upon you in regard to RSS and that's why we still have to use tools like RSSDler.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
Maybe even more flexible: do not use the RSS from ruT but use a different manner of grabbing feeds, saving torrents and manipulate them to your liking?

das329717

May 25, 2018
Well this is exactly what I'm doing now. I use RSSDler to parse feeds and download the .torrent files I want into an rtorrent watch directory. What I'm saying here is: Since the relationship between RUtorrent and rtorrent is so close (RUtorrent is essentially a GUI for rtorrent), and the fact that RUtorrent already has an RSS plugin, it would be great to simply make the RUtorrent plugin more flexible and allow one to specify the download location of .torrent files grabbed from RSS feeds. You could then use the functionality of watch, incomplete, and complete directories that are inherent to rtorrent, without using a buggy 3rd party app like RSSDler.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
2.5 years old, I know but it's one of the first results on google looking for 'rutorrent rss watch' so...

Solution:
- use set_custom2 instead of set_custom1 for your watches (custom1 is used by rutorrent)
schedule = watch_directory_1,10,10,"load_start_verbose=/data/data2/rtorrent/default/torrents/*.torrent,d.set_custom2=/data/data2/rtorrent/default/finished/"

- change the move_completed command this way:
# Move completed torrents
system.method.set_key = event.download.finished,move_complete,"branch={not=$d.get_custom2=,d.set_custom2=/data/data2/rtorrent/rutorrent/};d.set_directory=$d.get_custom2=;execute=mv,-u,$d.get_base_path=,$d.get_custom2="

basically, it will copy rutorrent/rss files to /data/data2/rtorrent/rutorrent/ and other watched torrents in their respective folders

HTH !