Server Requirements And...

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Hello everyone,

Want to buy vps and searching for these questions in search engine and on this forum but haven't found the answer. (I hope this is the right board to ask and thanks in advance).

1. I'm planning to install rutorrent in ubuntu or debian what's the minimum server requirements (especially the RAM and Processor).
Has anyone running this script on 256MB RAM on ubuntu? How many active torrent you can have with such ram?

2. I know rutorrent support multi user but my question is, can we limit active torrent (download and upload) on each user? Let's say user Joe can only have 2 active torrents (1 download and 1 upload or 2 download and vice versa) with 1 Mbps upload cap, while user Doe can have 4 active torrents with 2 Mbps upload.

I think that's all for now.

Thank you

das329717

May 25, 2018
First of all, your questions has relation to rtorrent, not to ruTorrent.

1. I'm planning to install rutorrent in ubuntu or debian what's the minimum server requirements (especially the RAM and Processor).
Has anyone running this script on 256MB RAM on ubuntu? How many active torrent you can have with such ram?​

I use rtorrent on the asus router with 32M of RAM. ~10 of active torrents, 1-2 downloads. May be this helps.

2. I know rutorrent support multi user but my question is, can we limit active torrent (download and upload) on each user? Let's say user Joe can only have 2 active torrents (1 download and 1 upload or 2 download and vice versa) with 1 Mbps upload cap, while user Doe can have 4 active torrents with 2 Mbps upload.​

*rtorrent* is a not multi user client. As result - you must have one rtorrent instance per one user. And yes, you may have different configurations for each of your user.
And yes, you may use one copy of *ruTorrent* for all of your users.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Thank you I saw the multi user setup here http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=256.0 which means i just have to install rtorrent and rutorrent one time and then just add a user (my causin, a friend, etc) am i right?

And one question i haven't figure out on your answer.. Can we limit how many active torrent on each user? I read at glance on the topic that there's only setting for max bandwidth.

With 32MB of ram I consider that as lightweight.

Thank you

das329717

May 25, 2018
Thank you I saw the multi user setup here http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=256.0 which means i just have to install rtorrent and rutorrent one time and then just add a user (my causin, a friend, etc) am i right?​

I think - yes. But this text contain a lot of letters and i'm too lazy for reading it all. Ask its author.

Can we limit how many active torrent on each user?​

Yes. You must add line
scheduler.max_active.set=number
to .rtorrent.rc of each user.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018

Yes. You must add line
scheduler.max_active.set=number
to .rtorrent.rc of each user.​

actually this and the memory usage that i'm curious about..

Thank you

(where's the thanks button?)