Adding a seed

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Hi guys. I'm new to the whole seedbox thing but I've been using torrents for years.

My plan is to download a file off a public tracker and then help seed it on a private one.

I've managed to download the file off the public tracker, that was easy enough. Now I want to add a seed to the torrent on the private tracker. Usually in uTorrent I'd do this by downloading the .torrent and then point it to the directory where the data is located. Then uTorrent would check it and voila, all is well.

But, when I add the torrent to ruTorrent it just starts downloading even though I aleady have the file undecided.gif

Can anyone help me? I'm running ruTorrent v3.0

Thanks

das329717

May 25, 2018
Are you sure it's downloading and not hash checking?

Make sure your download directory is correct so rtorrent finds your old download from the public tracker.
Also verify that the torrent files are the same. It's possible that the public tracker's torrent data is unpacked but the private tracker's data is in rar format.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Hi brock, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I'm sure it starts downloading because the download speed and the done percentage increases. I'm also sure the files are the same because they are the same scene release and I can add a seed from my home computer by using the same source.

The FTP directory has 3 files: autoadd, done and downloading. It seems that I can't choose where the file must be downladed to. This is what it looks like when adding a torrent.

I think (yes this is pretty self explanitory) that you drag things into the autoadd for them to automatically start downloading, the downloading file is for uncompleted DLs and the done file is for everything that is done.

I just deleted the torrent which was at 0.6% completion and re-added it and it automatically went to 0.6%. I think it's because all new torrents automatically go to the downloading folder, and because I didn't delete the data, just the torrent, it started checking again.

Meh. I don't know. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe if I can move the completed file into the "downloading" file it could work.

jith45

May 25, 2018
JUst select the right folder it needs to go to .. but remember this :

In Utorrent you would have :

/movies/name.of.torrent/
And you would point it to this to start the uploading.

In rtorrent you need to point it to : /movies/

somus1735

May 25, 2018
duanh your data and the name and structure must be absolutely identical for both trackers / releases: same dir name, same directory structure, same file names, and above all same case (you are probably using a linux filesystem which differentiates between lowercase and uppercase letters unlike windows where it's all the same).

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
going private to private may work in many situations if you keep the release group the same but you are rarely going to find private>public that will work.

The torrent data needs to be IDENTICAL and with most things having several releases, this just isn't very likely.

If you KNOW the data is correct, you can use fast resume.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys.

I still haven't gotten it to work, but that's because the seedbox keeps losing connection.

The support doesn't seem to care so I've cancelled my account with them.

Thanks anyways for the responses

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
OK I checked the file permissions and ownership and all files (including session files, temp files and all partial downloads files) are property of the rtorrent user with read/write permissions.

I did a
Code
chown -R rtorrent:rtorrent *in the rtorrent's home folder root. This should be OK.

As for rutorrent, can you point me which setting I should double check? As far as I can tell, config.php seems OK and other files are pretty straight forward (plugins.ini, access.ini, etc) with the exception of .htaccess that has "Deny from all" in it.

If my problem was wrong permissions, I should be able to see that in some log files somewhere!? I cant believe rtorrent does not issue a log file anywhere..

I also checked the disk space: 642GB left...