Adding the same torrent from multiple trackers

randac56

May 25, 2018
Hi All,

Quick question. I use the autodl-irssi plugin to irc down torrent files in my setup along with RSS. So i have 3 sites. Site A, Site B and Site C.

So the issue i am currently seeing is that all 3 of these sites say have the same torrent (created separately with different hash of course), and when downloaded individually they all download and work correctly. However if i have site A's torrent already downloaded in rutorrent, and i add the same named/release from site B to rutorrent, the torrent doesn't show up. Rutorrent says it dose add the file successfully however it just doesn't show up in the gui. (I check and there is no 2nd tracker url added to the tracker either.) So with Site A's torrent still added i decide to add Site C's torrent to my rutorrent. Well this time it adds correctly and hashes up and there is no problem. So now in rutorrent i now see that Site A and Site C's torrent is added and seeding.

So i download a fresh new torrent that both 3 sites have listed and begin the test again. This time i add the torrent from Site B first. It downloads and starts to seed. I add in Site C's torrent and it adds successfully and hashes then begins to seed. So i can now see 2 torrents with the same name from 2 different sites listed. I then add in Site A's torrent and it doesn't show up. Rutorrent says that it uploaded the torrent successfully, however it doesn't show up.

So here is a quick recap when adding torrents to rutorrent for all 3 sites. (Added in the order listed below)
- Site A + Site B = Site A's Torrent showing in rutorrent
- Site B + Site C = Both sites Torrents showing in rutorrent
- Site A + Site B + Site C = 2 Torrents showing in rutorrent. One from Site A and Site C
- Site B + Site C + Site A = 2 Torrents showing in rutorrent. One from Site B and Site C
- Site C + Site A + Site B = 2 Torrents showing in rutorrent. One from Site C and Site A

So it seems that Site C's torrents always load, however when both Site A's and B's torrents are added with the same torrent downloaded from each site they will both not add together in rutorrent.

I hope that try's to explain the situation that i am experiencing at the moment. I am on the latest SVN version of rutorrent and rtorrent.

The reason i need all 3 to show up for the same release is so that the individual trackers don't think that the client is cheating, as all 3 torrent files should have a different hash value but with the same data.

Hope someone can help me out.

cheers

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
if these torrents have the same hash data, it will not work.

rtorrent can't handle the same torrent from multiple locations if they are exactly the same

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Did you CHECK your assumption of "created separately with different hash of course"? C likely modifies the torrents by adding an info.source field or similar, and the others don't.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Did you CHECK your assumption of "created separately with different hash of course"? C likely modifies the torrents by adding an info.source field or similar, and the others don't.
Sorry saroosfor the late reply. Yeah you were right. both sites seemed to have the same hash value. So thats a pain that i can't add both sites and have them cross seed since rutorrent i guess thinks they are the same torrent being added.

randac56

May 25, 2018
So are you saying cross seeding is not allowed in rutorrent?
i think what he is saying is that rutorrent can cross seed (i do it now) however if the hash value from 2 sites is the same for that release then only one of the releases is added into rutorrent.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
if it's got the same hash it's not going ot work.

This is a limitation of rtorrent, not rutorrent. If you want to complain about it or have it fixed you need to talk to the devs of rtorrent but as brock said this is a limitation of MOST clients.

There are work arounds.

One is to use multiple users (and run rtorrent for each)

another is to re-create a torrent with different size pieces which causes a new hash.