Another permission-checking bug?

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Novik helped identify and fix a permission bug in ruTorrent found here: http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=169.0

I think I may have found another one.

Now that I have a few torrents added, I get this error message when I open rutorrent:
Code:
Web-server can't access rTorrent's session directory for read. ruTorrent will not work.It points to my /home/tigereye/.rtorrent/session folder.

The .rtorrent folder (and everything underneath it) is chowned as tigereye:rtorrent. As I mentioned in the above post, my user (tigereye) and my web user (apache) are both members of group "rtorrent".

The permissions for the .rtorrent folder (and everything underneath it) are as follows:
Code:
tigereye@server:~/.rtorrent$ pwd
/home/tigereye/.rtorrent
tigereye@server:~/.rtorrent$ ls -al
total 12
drwxrwsr-x 3 tigereye rtorrent 4096 2010-03-15 12:52 ./
drwx--x--x 6 tigereye users 4096 2010-03-27 15:20 ../
drwxrwsr-x 2 tigereye rtorrent 4096 2010-03-27 15:22 session/
Since the Web-User (apache) does have read access to rtorrent's session folder (by way of the rtorrent group's RW permissions), and ruTorrent is reporting that it does not have proper permissions, I believe a bug exists somewhere in ruTorrent's permission-checking algorithm(s).

Let me know if I can be of any assistance to resolve this.

Thanks!

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
1) Attach file /tmp/errors.log if it is present.
2) Say
Code:
su tigereye
id
what do you see?

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
1) Update to last svn version of ruTorrent.
2) If this problem still occured,
a) send to me file rutorrent/share/users/tigereye/settings/rtorrent.dat
b) add line 'execute.log = /tmp/exec.log' to your rtorrent.rc, restart rtorrent, load ruTorrent, remove this line, restart rtorrent again and send to me file /tmp/exec.log.
3) Please, don't send to me PM, if you want my quick reaction. Write on forum or send to me letter.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
The problem didn't occur, but another one did. Here is what the Logger spits out:
Code:
WebUI started.
rTorrent's user can't access 'id' program. Some functionality will be unavailable.
Autotools plugin: rTorrent's user can't access php interpreter. Plugin will not work.
Traffic plugin: rTorrent's user can't access php interpreter. Plugin will not work.
undefined
undefined
undefined
undefined
undefined
undefined
I noticed the config.php file changed recently in the latest SVN revisions, so I took care to make sure I used the latest SVN version of config.php.

Even though all of 'id', 'php', 'curl', and 'gzip' are available in my PATH (and should have been found automatically), I manually entered the paths to these 4 programs into my user's config.php just in case.
When I retried, the same symptoms/error messages appeared.

I next tried to add the line "execute.log = /tmp/exec.log" to my user's .rtorrent.rc file.
rtorrent would not start properly. When I ran it manually, it spat out this error message:
Code:
Error in option file: ~/.rtorrent.rc:118: Command "execute.log" does not exist.
So I can't send you this log.

Let me know if there are any commands you'd like me to run on your behalf to help debug this issue.

simur612

May 25, 2018
The problem didn't occur, but another one did.​

To correct config.php and clear browser cache.
Code:
Error in option file: ~/.rtorrent.rc:118: Command "execute.log" does not exist.​

log.execute

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Oops - thanks for fixing my typo.

When I changed it to log.execute, rtorrent started successfully and wrote into /tmp/exec.log.
I've emailed it to you, novik.

I did not see any error messages inside, but I'm hoping you can make more sense out of it.

Thanks!

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Try to obtain last version of code from svn and clear browser cache. If problem still occured - i will need to see to you system. E.g. ssh + ruTorrent account.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
i just wanted to respond to this thread for the archival purpose of making sure people have all the info.

I ran into this error today and it was due the /tmp directory not having the proper permissions.

(by default, on FreeBSD at least, they SHOULD be 1777 but on this particular system /tmp was 0755)

SOOO, if you SEE this error it may be that /tmp isn't set correctly. Also note that this will happen if chroot rtorrent or the webserver separately