Can't save settings

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Hi!

What is wrong if rutorrent can't save settings?

For example: I set upload speed limit to xx kB/sec but after restart there is no limit.
huh.gif

das329717

May 25, 2018
There is nothing wrong with rutorrent.

rutorrent is a front end for rtorrent, set your settings in your .rtorrent.rc file.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
So if I modify a value in rutorrent, there is no change in .rtorrent.rc? Why? I think that would be normal. shocked.gif

somus1735

May 25, 2018
because rutorrent does not write into rtorrent.rc !!

Like said , it is a frontend for rtorrent ... so it uses the settings but does not change them.

Just go into your rtorrent.rc and make the changes that you are normally making at rutorrent & they will stay forever.
Or don't you have axx to that file ??

das329717

May 25, 2018
So if I modify a value in rutorrent, there is no change in .rtorrent.rc? Why? I think that would be normal. shocked.gif

Why should it? rutorrent is just a front end for rtorrent which sends commands via XMLPC

rtorrent has it's own configuration file. If you want to make permanent changes then EDIT THAT FILE. It's not that hard.

Otherwise, write a plugin which does it for you, but that's not what rutorrent is designed to do, and with good reason.

jith45

May 25, 2018
Funny I've found this thread by mistake and I must say I have the same problem. I change the speed setting in rutorrent but if I close the window and reopen it, the limit is back to no limit.

Now I understand wonslung's response but I need to ask this: if rutorrent is only a front end client to rtorrent, why do we have a text box in the settings box to change the speed settings? If I change this setting, lets say from no limit to 10kb/s, the speed will effectively drop to 10kb/s... so this setting must be more than just a nice text box!?

Also, I don't know for the OP of this thread, but I have set speed limits in rtorrent.rc and they seems to be ignored. From my rtorrent.rc file:

# Global upload and download rate in KiB. "0" for unlimited.
download_rate = 0
upload_rate = 10

When I launch rutorrent, the limits are set bak to no limit. In one day, I wasted 27GB of bandwidth uploading...

All other settings are used so this means that whatever is going on, the rtorrent.rc file is not completely ignored.

somus1735

May 25, 2018
it can make changes to the rtorrent session that is running , but not to the rtorrent.rc
So when you restart your rtorrent , the rtorrent.rc is loaded again .. with the settings you have set.

With closing the "window" do you mean your browser ??
As closing this does not mean you close down rtorrent , as this still runs on your server/pc

jith45

May 25, 2018
OK I've found the root cause of my problem, probably yours as well.... Are you using the scheduler plugin??? If so, check your speed settings... Mine was activated for some reasons at unlimited speeds. Thats why if I changed a download or upload value it would come back to unlimited by itself...