Changed upload behaviour in 3.0

randac56

May 25, 2018
Using rutorrent 2.8, I used to upload two torrent files from different trackers which contained references to the very same files (Sometimes, the torrent file also have the exact same name). To avoid consuming 2x the storage space, I used to create unix symbolic links in the seedbox filesystem, and point the download directory of the second one to the directory where I created the symbolic link. This way I can seed the same physical files to two different trackers, when they are identical, and use only 1x the storage space. Of course, this only works if you already have 100% of the files, from the first torrent.

In 2.8, this worked flawlessy. After creating the symbolic link at the filesystem, I just upload the second torrent file (from a different tracker), changing the download directory to the one where I created the symbolic link, and checking the 'dont start download automatically' checkbox. Then I ran a forced recheck on the new shown torrent to get sure its 100% identical in the second tracker, and voilá: Two identical torrents using the very same files.

Now, in 3.0, if I use the very same method, I always end up with only the last torrent uploaded. The first one disappears from the interface as soon as the next gui data update occurs. And an interesting fact: All the torrents I uploaded in 2.8 pointing to symbolic links are shown in 3.0 as two independent torrents (as they are). So, this 'first one disappearing behaviour' only happens when uploading torrent files in version 3.0.

Despite its disappearance from the 3.0 gui, the first one seems to continue to be seeded in rtorrent underneath. And if I delete the second torrent uploaded (via 3.0 gui), the first one 'reappears' in the next gui update.

Any workarounds? Can this be fixed in the future?

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
the work around is to not do it that way at all.

Just pointing 2 torrents which are the same to the same download dir works fine.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Its THAT easy?
Never tried this way. Well, it never cease to amaze me how gifted I am on complicating simple things.
Will try, thank you again wonslung!