Creating torrent with create (timeout problem).

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Hello all,

In advance, thank you for this wonderful piece of software, it does the job more then perfect in my opinion (find myself staring at rutorrent instead of doing something else while my downloads run hehe)

Anyway, i have a problem with create, i think im overlooking something.

When i create a torrent (in this case 7,5 gb *(Folder with 22 350Mb files in it)) it times out. I think its apache that does this, however i do not know how to adjust this.

I get an error inside the create torrent saying max timeout of 30 sec in rutorrent/php/torrent.php

Please let me know if you need more info, then i will get the exact error

das329717

May 25, 2018
are you using one of the helper programs? if not you can't expect to be able to create a torrent over 4 gb

(if you installed create plugin but did not install mktorrent, createtorrent, or some other program, and then edit the config to use it, then you are in this boat)

otherwise, you must set the webserver to not time out. Cherokee was defaulted to 15 seconds, i set it to 2400 seconds and it always works.

jith45

May 25, 2018
I've not installed any of the helper programs, according to the plugin information it should work as long as the files are < 2 Gb
The plug-in cannot see and does not handle files, that are more than 2 gigabytes in size. This trouble is caused by php limitation on operations with the big files. Pay attention - the total downloading size can exceed 2Gb. Limitation concerns only each individual file of downloading.​

I will look into the timeout settings of apache2.2 i think thats the easy way.

MKtorrent or CreateTorrent are not "yet" available for Debian Lenny, only in testing.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
I think i've found it, its not in Apache silly me ! rolleyes.gif

Its in PHP, i've now changed the timeout of php to 360 seconds (instead of 30).

Anyway, maybe for the future (since setting your php timeout that high really isnt a very smart thing to do) the timeout can also be modified from PHP itself, maybe its possible to insert this into the create plugin so the timeout is changed when running the create torrent script ?
PHP-code
// Set it to no-limit
set_time_limit(0);​

jith45

May 25, 2018
Thnx Stubs,

Fixed it (for now) with the above timeout solution, so the create itself works flawlessly, and much quicker then im used to with windows + utorrent.

I will get createtorrent just in case i need to create a torrent with files above 2Gb.

Regards,

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
I've not installed any of the helper programs, according to the plugin information it should work as long as the files are < 2 Gb
The plug-in cannot see and does not handle files, that are more than 2 gigabytes in size. This trouble is caused by php limitation on operations with the big files. Pay attention - the total downloading size can exceed 2Gb. Limitation concerns only each individual file of downloading.​

I will look into the timeout settings of apache2.2 i think thats the easy way.

MKtorrent or CreateTorrent are not "yet" available for Debian Lenny, only in testing.
again, i am absolutely 100% sure i'm right about this. you MUST install one of the helper programs if you want to support large torrents. mktorrent is SUPER easy to install, just do this:
Code:
apt-get install build-essential subversion
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mktorrent/mktorrent-1.0.tar.gz
tar xzfv mktorrent-1.0.tar.gz
cd mktorrent-1.0
make
make install
this should give you a binary called mktorrent in /usr/local/bin
then edit the plugin accordingly.

jith45

May 25, 2018
Thnx Wonslung ! installed mktorrent, its waaaaay faster then php (obvious though, but again tongue.gif)

das329717

May 25, 2018
I guess, on version 3.0 you will hasn't any problems with timeouts. Plugin "create" was totaly rewrited, now you will see intermediate progress of torrent creation.

jith45

May 25, 2018
This problem was on version 3.0

The timeout is not in the code though, its the timeout of php.ini thats default set to 30 sec.