Error help please

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
Hmm,
So I have this homemade seedbox that a friend made for me on a VPS and he installed rtorrent and rutorrent on it for me to use(Ubuntu 10.04 is installed on the VPS). Now unfortunately something has screwed up and I cant access my seedbox via safari anymore and I get this error message from rutorrent:
[22.12.2010 20:36:23] WebUI started.
[22.12.2010 20:36:23] Bad response from server: (502 [error,getplugins]) <html>
<head><title>502 Bad Gateway</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>502 Bad Gateway</h1></center>
<center>nginx/0.8.53</center>
</body>
</html>
[22.12.2010 20:36:24] Bad response from server: (502 [error,getuisettings]) <html>
<head><title>502 Bad Gateway</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>502 Bad Gateway</h1></center>
<center>nginx/0.8.53</center>
</body>
</html>​

So if there is anyone that can help me with this, it would be much appreciated. I have little experience with linux and VPS's so you might need to spell everything out for me, or 'talk' really slowly so I can understand.

Thanks

Edit: I have tried restarting rtorrent and I have rebooted my VPS but nothing has changed. Still getting those error messages.
Also, I am still seeding all my torrents and I ma 100% connectable on all of my trackers so this is a problem with ruTorrent, not rtorrent.

Any help is appreciated---like where can I find out what Error 502 means?.

somus1735

May 25, 2018
502 is a bad gateway error, sounds like an scgi issue.
without more info noone will be able to help you.

need to see the .rtorrent.rc the webserver error logs, webserver configs, rutorrent/conf/ files and a possibly a list of plugins...it could be a number of things but start looking in the error logs.

Make sure rtorrent is running.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
ok, thanks for the advice. I would post these error logs but I do not know the first step in locating them... haha
Plus, when I do post them, I probably wouldn't be able to figure out what you guys tell me to do. Could I just delete rutorrent through SFTP and reinstall it? I found some tutorials online that I think I can manage to follow for installing it.
If this is a feasible option, how would I go about removing rutorrent in the first place? I found the rutorrent folder but if I were to delete that entire folder, would that in essence delete the program and allow for a fresh install?

-And yes I have tried different browsers and different computers, still the same error.

jith45

May 25, 2018
Yes you can simply delete the rutorrent folder and redownload SVN/public rutorrent, if thats what you really want to do.

Ensure rtorrent is running when you redo rutorrent and as wonslung said, its probably an scgi problem, so make sure you have that configured!

jith45

May 25, 2018
you can delete it, sure.

not sure if it wil solve your issue if your issue is related to your webserver or your php setup, or some other aspect of the program....rutorrent is just a web front end for rtorrent which relies on a working webserver with working php.

If rtorrent isn't functioning correctly, rutorrent will not work.
If your webserver is not configured properly, rutorrent will not work.
If your webserver doesn't have php setup properly, rutorrent will not work.
If rutorrent isn't configured properly, rutorrent will not work.