Error: XML cannot be the whole program

das329717

May 25, 2018
SkyDrome- I'm not sure what you need, that's why I put the link to the instructions I used. I've got a VPS running Ubuntu, using Apache2 and php5, along with the given rtorrent and rutorrent, what else do you need?

wonslung- what do I need to do to configure php properly? I've double checked having php5 which is what the google code forum recommended to do, as far as I can tell I haven't touched any php config file, how can I check that issue?

Thanks for the replies.

jith45

May 25, 2018
lol, it's not your php config. It's your web server.

you haven't told us what you are using yet, but assuming you are using apache you need to:

make sure the module is enabled
make sure php mime types are passed properly (a .php file is sent to the php interpreter )

somus1735

May 25, 2018
I started getting this error as well ... after the latest updates to apache was applied yesterday huh.gif

So whenever I try to log in to RuTorrent WebUI I get a blank UI and in the logger window it reads "JS error: [https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/rutorrent/ : 403] XML cannot be the whole program"

RuTorrent has been running flawlessly for several months now ... and after the apache update everything is ... angry.gif

somus1735

May 25, 2018
I'm assuming SCGI is used to interface the WebUI with apache, so it must be something related to that, because I see no change in any of the apache2 log files (they look the same as before this error started occurring)

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
this is normally due to php not being setup properly.

If you updated apache, chances are you screwed up your config or disabled php.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
Try this as I have found that updating php or apache you need to" re-chown" specific files. Try : find / -user apache

And then enter chown root:apache /path to files listed

Hope this helps

somus1735

May 25, 2018
Well ..after hours and hours of going through conf files checking for changes and re-applying file permissions, without any result. I finally decided to try and re-install everything so I did

sudo apt-get install apache2 apache2.2-common apache2-utils autoconf automake autotools-dev binutils build-essential bzip2 ca-certificates comerr-dev cpp cpp-4.1 dpkg-dev file g++ g++-4.1 gawk gcc gcc-4.1 libapache2-mod-php5 libapache2-mod-scgi libapr1 libaprutil1 libc6-dev libcppunit-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-openssl-dev libexpat1 libidn11 libidn11-dev libkdb5-4 libgssrpc4 libkrb5-dev libmagic1 libncurses5 libncurses5-dev libneon26 libpcre3 libpq5 libsigc++-2.0-dev libsqlite0 libsqlite3-0 libssl-dev libssp0-dev libstdc++6-4.1-dev libsvn1 libtool libxml2 linux-libc-dev lynx m4 make mime-support ntp ntpdate openssl patch perl perl-modules php5 php5-cgi php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-geoip php5-sqlite php5-xmlrpc pkg-config python-scgi screen sqlite ssl-cert subversion ucf unrar zlib1g-dev pkg-config unzip htop screen irssi libwww-perl curl

and ... something related to php was installed (can't remember what and didn't copy) and now everything works again smiley.gif

What puzzles me is that I have updated apache numerous times and never had any issues and I really don't see why something related to php needed to be installed again. Maybe it's just a story of
dependencies not being fulfilled when updating apache.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Well ..after hours and hours of going through conf files checking for changes and re-applying file permissions, without any result. I finally decided to try and re-install everything so I did

sudo apt-get install apache2 apache2.2-common apache2-utils autoconf automake autotools-dev binutils build-essential bzip2 ca-certificates comerr-dev cpp cpp-4.1 dpkg-dev file g++ g++-4.1 gawk gcc gcc-4.1 libapache2-mod-php5 libapache2-mod-scgi libapr1 libaprutil1 libc6-dev libcppunit-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-openssl-dev libexpat1 libidn11 libidn11-dev libkdb5-4 libgssrpc4 libkrb5-dev libmagic1 libncurses5 libncurses5-dev libneon26 libpcre3 libpq5 libsigc++-2.0-dev libsqlite0 libsqlite3-0 libssl-dev libssp0-dev libstdc++6-4.1-dev libsvn1 libtool libxml2 linux-libc-dev lynx m4 make mime-support ntp ntpdate openssl patch perl perl-modules php5 php5-cgi php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-geoip php5-sqlite php5-xmlrpc pkg-config python-scgi screen sqlite ssl-cert subversion ucf unrar zlib1g-dev pkg-config unzip htop screen irssi libwww-perl curl

and ... something related to php was installed (can't remember what and didn't copy) and now everything works again smiley.gif

What puzzles me is that I have updated apache numerous times and never had any issues and I really don't see why something related to php needed to be installed again. Maybe it's just a story of
dependencies not being fulfilled when updating apache.​

it was probably libapache2-mod-php5

somus1735

May 25, 2018
it was probably libapache2-mod-php5​

No, it was something php5 related, not Apache related.

So if I had to do it again I would most likely just do

sudo apt-get install php5 php5-cgi php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-geoip php5-sqlite php5-xmlrpc

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
So I tried to install it again and I get the same error I've double checked all the different things are installed, module php5 is enabled, I'm using apache2, I haven't touched the php config file. My only guess is the rtorrent config file? Is there anything I can check to see what's not working?

What did you mean when you said "make sure php mime types are passed properly (a .php file is sent to the php interpreter )" wonslung?

Thanks

jith45

May 25, 2018
Did you try again after a clean install of your OS? If not, then the old configuration files are probably still being used.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
it was probably libapache2-mod-php5​

No, it was something php5 related, not Apache related.

So if I had to do it again I would most likely just do

sudo apt-get install php5 php5-cgi php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-dev php5-geoip php5-sqlite php5-xmlrpc​

libapache2-mod-php5 is for mod-php

php5-cgi is for phpcgi

Apache can be set up to use either but most people will use mod-php.