Help needed installing RTORRENT and RUTORRENT

saroos1

May 25, 2018
I have a simple question to start with I haven't been able to figure out or find any information on.

Are the rest of you using a dedicated server, or are any of you using a server that is set up for hosting with cPanel that contains many domains?

It seems when reading through the instructions that the rtorrent and rutorrent install are in one directory, in or off the root of the server. In other words, not installed rtorrent and libtorrent as server "processes", and then install rutorrent on the domain where needed?

I don't understand how a user would be able to modify files on the server if they only have a domain on the server, so I am assuming there must be some way to do this all on a domain?

Since I own the server, I have root access. I was able to get help from the hosting company getting the rtorrent and libtorrent RPM's installed, and the two libraries that weren't on the server that were needed for them.

I used the install process to install rutorrent on the domain I want to run the program from but apparently there is a configuration problem because it can't seem to find the RPC2 directory which is on that domain and it is complaining about scgi, although the plug in was installed on that domain in the plugin directory, which is where I assume it should go.

Wonsung was nice enough to let me know in email that despite what the rtorrent site says, that I still need to compile the rtorrent with xmlrpc. Even if that wasn't done (whether needed or not), I can't believe that is the only reason things aren't working.

I don't know how much sense it makes to continue if I am not even able to ascertain if I can run this program on a server like mine set up for webhosting?

Would be great to hear that it is at least possible so I don't proceed banging my head on the wall for no reason.

Thanks

randac56

May 25, 2018
That IS the reason it is not working.
It is quite simple.

rtorrent MUST
MUST
MUST
be compiled WITH xmlrpc-c

it is NOT compiled with xmlrpc-c on many package management systems.
The rtorrent documentation you are refering to does NOT say that it is built in, only that it CAN be installed with xmlrpc-c

so heres what you need to do. It's as simple as this, if you can't follow these instructions then don't bother.

1:) get rtorrent compiled with xmlrpc-c

2:) install a webserver which can handle scgi

3:) set up rtorrent correctly

4:) set up rutorrent correctly

you are still stuck at number 1

once you have number 1 down, i'll help you with the rest.

randac56

May 25, 2018
A lot of people make the mistake in thinking that rtorrent packages always have xmlrpc-c. This error is due to rtorrents page saying this:
Since version 0.7.5, rtorrent has a built-in XMLRPC interface (if enabled).​

This is basically stating that rtorrent can be built with xmlrpc. The fact of the matter is that it is almost never built with xmlrpc-c in most distros. This is one reason i prefer FreeBSD, as the ports system not only defaults to xmlrpc-c but it also handles compiling from source in a simple, effective manner.