Limit simultaneous downloads/uploads

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Hi

I just started using rtorrent+ruTorrent after trying a handful of other torrent clients, none of them being able to do what exactly what I wanted.

I think I've finally found the perfect torrent client, but I'm having a little issue. I can't seem to find where to limit the maximum allowed active torrents, like I can in other torrent clients.
Since English isn't my native language, I've tried illustrating my problem below:

The above screenshot is of my Windows' machine µTorrent client, and this is what I want ruTorrent to do. Notice how the torrent I'm downloading is downloading at close to max speed (my connection is around 500kB/s).

This is a screenshot of my ruTorrent. As you can see, it's trying to download all the torrents at once, resulting in very slow speeds for all of them, again resulting in a much longer ETA.

So my question is: How can I limit the maximum allowed active downloads?

Thanks for a great WebUI and all help is appreciated!

peshua19

May 25, 2018
So what I'm asking for isn't actually possible (within ruTorrent)?
Wow, that's a pretty big drawback for me. undecided.gif

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
So what I'm asking for isn't actually possible (within ruTorrent)?
Wow, that's a pretty big drawback for me. undecided.gif
it isn't NEEDED

you set globals based on total number of CONNECTIONS and then set max throttles for groups. The entire idea of per torrent quotas is out dated and absolutely wasteful

randac56

May 25, 2018
it isn't NEEDED
Not totally true, some people need it.
As what they want is the following :

Only have 1 or 2 torrents active at high speed, so that way you get those 2 torrents in like 24 hours.
And after they are done downloading , 2 new ones start, and download for 24 hours
But I can already start watching the first 2 movies.

The way rtorrent now works is that it devides speed between all active torrents.
So if I load 4 torrents , it will take me around 48 hours before I can watch any of the movie I download

Ofcourse you can manual maintain the queue , but an auto system would be helpfull, as you all know how lazy we are.

peshua19

May 25, 2018

Only have 1 or 2 torrents active at high speed, so that way you get those 2 torrents in like 24 hours.
And after they are done downloading , 2 new ones start, and download for 24 hours

The way rtorrent now works is that it devides speed between all active torrents.
So if I load 4 torrents , it will take me around 48 hours before I can watch any of the movie I download

Ofcourse you can manual maintain the queue , but an auto system would be helpfull, as you all know how lazy we are.
This guy gets it!
it isn't NEEDED

you set globals based on total number of CONNECTIONS and then set max throttles for groups. The entire idea of per torrent quotas is out dated and absolutely wasteful
I'm not sure what "setting globals" etc. means? Could you educate me? smiley.gif

saroos1

May 25, 2018

no, they don't.

That is what priority and throttle settings are for.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
no, they don't.

That is what priority and throttle settings are for.
It does not 100% do what they want.
As when I set torrent 3-4 to throttle at 10kb download
when torrent 1-2 are finished .. the throttle is still there ..
so I manually need to set it to a higher throttle to get good download speed on those 2 torrents

saroos1

May 25, 2018
I guess we just disagree. I think the per torrent method is wasteful, inefficient and ineffective.

If the goal is to make the best use of the available bandwidth, it is by far the most inefficient method.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
I initially also felt how you did, but eventually I came to understand that wonslung is right. It is more effective, bandwidth wise, to not have any queue system at all.

Although I do feel for you, and understand your point - I also have faced the problem mentioned problem regarding the download order of movies, 1080p in particular. But for now, what I do is either wait patiently, or throttle each individually.