Misc problems with rutorrent v3.2

das329717

May 25, 2018
Hi there!

I just recently installed rtorrent and rutorrent on a slackware 13.1 (32 bit) server and so far, it seems to work decently but I am experiencing several annoyances and a few critical problems. I hope you guys can help me!

problem 1:
Imagine torrents are loaded and started, they are downloading. If I close my browser or just refresh (F5) the browser's window (Firefox), the window refreshes but the torrents are going to "Stopped" status... Annoying because I need to keep the browser's window open all the time. Whats going on?

problem 2:
I currently have about 70 torrents loaded in rutorrent. Like I previously said, all the torrents will go to "Stopped" status if I exit rutorrent or refresh, with the exception of a few (about 15) that will be in "Pausing" status... Why's that?

problem 3:
Most of the torrents currently in my setup have been transferred from a machine running Ktorrent. To transfer my downloads in rutorrent, I copied the data from the ktorrent download folder to the rtorrent download folder (as specified in my rtorrent.rc config file). Then in Ktorrent, I exported .torrent files for each torrents and imported them in rutorrent with the "Add torrent..." button. It worked and rutorrent started to check the data. The problem is that the amount downloaded and the completion % as well as the download size are all wrong. For example, one of the torrent is 34GB. Ktorrent said that the download was 51% complete with approx 17.35GB downloaded. Now in rutorrent, it says 0.00% (0MB) but if I do a "Force re-check" it will confirm what ktorrent said but at the moment I refresh the page or close/reopen rutorrent, its back to 0%....

Finally, all amounts over 2GB are wrong. I get "rTorrent is compiled with incorrect version of xmlrpc-c library, without i8 support. Version must be >= 1.11. Some functionality will be unavailable." in the logs. I admit I will need to recompile rtorrent with a newer version of xmlrpc-c. Could this be responsible of some of the above problems??

Thanks for your support!

jith45

May 25, 2018
i find it helpful to always use the svn version of xmlrpc-c-advance and the latest stable rtorrent/libtorrent source.

to get and compile xmlrpc-c

Code:
svn http://xmlrpc-c.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xmlrpc-c/advanced xmlrpc-c
cd xmlrpc-c
./configure
make
make install
then get libtorrent/rtorrent:

Code:
wget http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/downloads/libtorrent-0.12.6.tar.gz
wget http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/downloads/rtorrent-0.8.6.tar.gz
tar zxvf rtorrent-0.8.6.tar.gz
tar zxvf libtorrent-0.12.6.tar.gz

compile libtorrent:

Code:
cd libtorrent-0.12.6
./configure
make
make install

compile rtorrent with the newly build xmlrpc-c

Code:
cd ../rtorrent-0.8.6
./configure --with-xmlrpc-c=/usr/local/bin/xmlrpc-c-config
make
make install

das329717

May 25, 2018
Do you think recompiling rtorrent with xmlrpc SNV will fix all these problems?

AFAIK I've seen that the problem with xmlrpc (i8 support) was purely cosmetic....

das329717

May 25, 2018
OK so I recompiled and reinstalled rtorrent using the advanced release of xmlrpc-c and it seems to have fixed some of my problems (incorrect numbers) except the fact that the torrents are still going to paused mode after a window refresh or relaunch of the window. (problems 1, 2 & 3) described above.

So what do you suggest?

EDIT: I forgot to mention this: when I right-click and select Start from the contextual menu, the torrent starts but is automatically stopped after a few minutes...

EDIT 2: I started rtorrent via CLI and pressed "l" to visualize the log in case I'd see some errors. Except some minor warnings (scgi is a public port consider using a private.... or whatever it is..) I could not see any permission errors, folder or file errors, etc. I have also seen that all the torrents are "Inactive" in rtorrent.

jith45

May 25, 2018
typically when torrents go to "pause it's due to permission issues.

either the permissions are wrong
the path doesn't exist
or something similar

check your rtorrent and rutorrent settings.

das329717

May 25, 2018
I must admit I dont get it. I received an email from this forum telling me that somebody replied to this thread but I cant see his reply, myself being the last poster here....

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by SkyDrome.
- Hide quoted text -

View the reply at: http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=601.new;topicseen#new

Unsubscribe to this topic by clicking here: http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?action=notify;topic=601.0

Regards,
The Rutorrent Webui Team.​

jith45

May 25, 2018
maybe some one deleted the reply ... I would not worry about that , but I would about your set-up & problem

das329717

May 25, 2018
Ok I narrowed the problems down to a port problem that I fixed with my firewall... Now with rtorrent only (not rutorrent) its downloading like a rocket. However, if I launch rutorrent, all the torrents are in "Stopped" mode and even if I right-click -> start, it will not download at all (maximum 0.5kb/s... compared to average of 450kb/s with rtorrent).,,

SO I believe it is a problem with rutorrent.

Could it be a bug in rutorrent?

jith45

May 25, 2018
check your config.

make sure the directories are set up correctly.

please read the wiki for the answered you seek.

jith45

May 25, 2018
the watch file in .rtorrent.rc should have nothing to do with it.

either way, i'm glad you solved it.

das329717

May 25, 2018
After a second thought, I need to mention that I changed a few things:

My understanding of the port numbers was wrong. The settings of rtorrent.rc and my firewall were not quite matching.

I fixed the watch folder as well. Maybe you are right, this shouldn't matter...

I fixed a few permissions

Now its working perfectly!

Anyways, thanks wonslung and all the others for your help!

jith45

May 25, 2018
file permissions can most CERTANLY cause torrents going to "stopped" when added.

glad you fixed it my friend

jith45

May 25, 2018
OK I checked the file permissions and ownership and all files (including session files, temp files and all partial downloads files) are property of the rtorrent user with read/write permissions.

I did a
Code:
chown -R rtorrent:rtorrent *in the rtorrent's home folder root. This should be OK.

As for rutorrent, can you point me which setting I should double check? As far as I can tell, config.php seems OK and other files are pretty straight forward (plugins.ini, access.ini, etc) with the exception of .htaccess that has "Deny from all" in it.

If my problem was wrong permissions, I should be able to see that in some log files somewhere!? I cant believe rtorrent does not issue a log file anywhere..

I also checked the disk space: 642GB left...