noob question: how to install a plugin?

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Hi,

I just installed ruTorrent and it looks great so far. OK, there is this error message that ubuntu nags me with that "rTorrent is compiled with incorrect version of xmlrpc-c library, without i8 support. Version must be >= 1.11. Some functionality will be unavailable." but I will ignore it. After trying to compile rtorrent from source I gave up and used the available one which apparently is a tad too old.
Anyway, I don't seem to be able to get plugins to work. Specifically I want to make use of the autotools plugin. Is there more to it than simply dropping it into the "plugins" directory? I did that but either I don't get that plugin or something's not done correctly.

Please let me know what kind of info I should provide to make it possible to guide me. Or could someone show how it should look like when the plugin is there? Last but not least: Yes, I saw wonslung's post "How to get auto-tools working properly" but couldn't really make too much sense out of it. I guess I'm missing something very basic in understanding the inner workings wink.gif

cheers

randac56

May 25, 2018
installing a plugin is simple.

download your plugin, untar it and drop it in the plugins directory.

or, better yet, use svn like this:

Code:
cd $rutorrentLOCATION/plugins
svn checkout http://rutorrent.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/plugins/plugin-name
oh, autotools is a pretty complicated plugin but it is one of the ones that WILL need the better version of xmlrpc-c to work.

If you need help getting rtorrent compile properly let me know.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
ok, thanks. so I picked a special plug-in to try it out wink.gif

regarding the compilation of rtorrent, I tried a couple of guides I found and ran into several problems - the last was that I couldn't get "./configure --with-xmlrpc-c". I then went back to the standard version from the ubuntu rep. I'm running Ubuntu 9.1 (karmic) in a stripped down fashion with xbmc as media centre / htpc (so no X, just a few daemons)
But if you have an idea, I would be grateful and try again.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
To get it working on ubuntu :

* apt-get remove rtorrent

You want to use the versions from the website
Below steps shout do it for you.

*** Install XMLRPC-C

svn co https://xmlrpc-c.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xmlrpc-c/stable xmlrpc-c
cd xmlrpc-c
./configure --disable-cplusplus
make
sudo make install

*** Get rtorrent & Libtorrent files

libtorrent : http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/downloads/libtorrent-0.12.5.tar.gz
rtorrent : http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/downloads/rtorrent-0.8.5.tar.gz

tar xzf : both tar's

*** Install libtorrent

cd libtorrent
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
sudo make install

*** Install rtorrent

cd ../rtorrent
./autogen.sh
./configure --with-xmlrpc-c
make
sudo make install

Now rtorrent is installed

try rtorrent : type rtorrent , see if versions are correct

if you get an error like this:
rtorrent: error while loading shared libraries: libtorrent.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

you need to edit your /etc/ld.so.conf and add this line
include /usr/local/lib
then run : ldconfig

Type again : rtorrent.

Now it should work .. if not , pm me .. and i might be able to help

peshua19

May 25, 2018
yaaaay, please ignore the rest of this post - there was still some libxmlrpc crap installed embarrassed.gif
Code:
sudo apt-get remove libxmlrpc-core-c3-dev libxmlrpc-core-c3and now everything is installed smiley.gif

I now "see" that the autotools are indeed installed (plugin tab) but where should I see them working? I figured that they would be visible in the "add torrent" dialogue? Final Edit: ... I figured it out that I need a plugin for that cool.gif - all good now.

ignore the rest, just kept it here in case someone already saw it
thanks - I tried it but it fails when making rtorrent (this is the last bit of the output)
Code:
rpc/libsub_rpc.a(xmlrpc.o): In function `rpc::XmlRpc::size_limit()':
/usr/local/downloads/rtorrent-0.8.6/src/rpc/xmlrpc.cc:555: undefined reference to `xmlrpc_limit_get'
rpc/libsub_rpc.a(xmlrpc.o): In function `rpc::xmlrpc_list_entry_to_value(_xmlrpc_env*, _xmlrpc_value*, int)':
/usr/local/downloads/rtorrent-0.8.6/src/rpc/xmlrpc.cc:102: undefined reference to `xmlrpc_read_i8'
rpc/libsub_rpc.a(xmlrpc.o): In function `rpc::eek:bject_to_xmlrpc(_xmlrpc_env*, torrent::Object const&)':
/usr/local/downloads/rtorrent-0.8.6/src/rpc/xmlrpc.cc:368: undefined reference to `xmlrpc_i8_new'
rpc/libsub_rpc.a(xmlrpc.o): In function `rpc::xmlrpc_to_object(_xmlrpc_env*, _xmlrpc_value*, int, rpc::rt_triple<int, void*, void*>*)':
/usr/local/downloads/rtorrent-0.8.6/src/rpc/xmlrpc.cc:248: undefined reference to `xmlrpc_read_i8'
rpc/libsub_rpc.a(xmlrpc.o): In function `rpc::XmlRpc::set_size_limit(unsigned long long)':
/usr/local/downloads/rtorrent-0.8.6/src/rpc/xmlrpc.cc:563: undefined reference to `xmlrpc_limit_set'
/usr/local/lib/libxmlrpc_server.so: undefined reference to `xmlrpc_serialize_response2'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [rtorrent] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/downloads/rtorrent-0.8.6/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/downloads/rtorrent-0.8.6/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/downloads/rtorrent-0.8.6'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I did two things differently than you:
  • I also removed obsolete packages after removing rtorrent with "apt-get autoremove" - this was libtorrent11 and libxmlrpc
  • I used the latest versions of rtorrent and libtorrent
Apparently the error has something to do with the distro's xmlrpc overlapping with the compiled one - but I removed it before I compiled it so there shouldn't be two around. Maybe something's still lingering around?

See here: http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/1593 - I would have no idea how to remove anything obsolete apart from what I already did.

Any help would be appreciated

simur612

May 25, 2018
autotools works like this:

you have a download directory set in your .rtorrent.rc

for our example, we'll call it /home/user/download/

in this directory you create some subdirectories.

let's call them
/home/user/download/Video
/home/user/download/Video/TV
/home/user/download/Video/Movies
/home/user/download/Video/Sports
/home/user/download/Music
/home/user/download/Music/Rap

and you get the idea

now, when you set a torrent to download, if you set the path to one of these subdirectories, auto-tools will label the torrent based on the subdirectory

so for instance, you download a TV show and you set it's download path to
/home/user/download/Video/TV

autotools will label it Video/TV

also, you can set an "auto-move" directory. It will replicate your structure in the path you've set.

So, let's say you set your auto-move directory to /mnt/storage/

when that first torrent is done downloading, it will be moved to
/mnt/storage/Video/TV

by using this system you can do some cool stuff. one thing you can do is create your structure in the download path and use rss automatic downloading to never have to manually do anything.

Another thing you can do is set a "finished" directory, then use rsync to sync it to a remote computer.

if you find that it is not working as described, make sure you have php5-cli installed and set in the config for rutorrent.

next step would be to enable logging and see where it is failing

peshua19

May 25, 2018
thanks for taking the time and explaining again how to set it up - I guess I partly managed already (following your other thread). It seems like the php task to watch or to move hangs though. The error log wasn't really helpful so far. I will poke around a little more. I have disabled it for the time being - at least I now know where/how to enable/disable it etc.

cheers