problems with adding new torrents

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Hi.
I've installed 0.8.5 and rutorrent 2.8 + rpc plugin

Everything looks fine, but when i try to add new torrent it says "torrent is succesfully passed to rTorrent." and nothing more happens, neither error nor new download appears.
How can I find out what is going on?

I use Freebsd 7.2 amd64, rutorrent is in jail (as I already have php there), rtorrent is in host system. Webserver is nginx.
tcpdump shows that xmlrpc traffic goes ok from rutorrent to rtorrent and backwards.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Code:
--- Success ---
/usr/local/bin/php: not found

---
sh -c /usr/local/bin/php -c /usr/local/etc/php-p2p.ini /usr/home/p2p/public_html/plugins/scheduler/update.php& exit 0
Oh shi~
Seems rtorrent and rutorrent need to be on the same system ;(

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Code:
--- Success ---
/usr/local/bin/php: not found

---
sh -c /usr/local/bin/php -c /usr/local/etc/php-p2p.ini /usr/home/p2p/public_html/plugins/scheduler/update.php& exit 0
Oh shi~
Seems rtorrent and rutorrent need to be on the same system ;(​

Well yeah you would say so.

Maybe it works on other system also, but then you need to change the scgi ip to the right one (so not localhost) ... but not even sure if that will work

simur612

May 25, 2018
I tried to do this awhile ago...i forget exactly what the problem was but i remember that i eventually gave up.

It would be very nice if we could figure this out as it would add a HUGE amount of security for multi user systems.

maybe novik can speak on it.

Novik, if you see this thread:

Is it possible to run rutorrent and rtorrent on separate machines (or separate ip's)

and if so, how?

randac56

May 25, 2018
Is it possible to run rutorrent and rtorrent on separate machines (or separate ip's)​

It's possible. But most of plugins (trafic, scheduler, rss, etc) and torrent's addition will not work.
and if so, how?​

By standard way. Use hostname in config.php instead localhost, etc.

simur612

May 25, 2018
Thanks randa, you have no idea how nice this is for us FreeBSD people.

Basically, with FreeBSD you can create a jail for each user and completely lock them off from the rest of the system so if you have a multi user system you can, for instance, create 4-5 jails each with thier own ip and set up rtorrent in each, then create a single webserver jail to host rutorrent in.

This is even nicer on machines which can support ZFS because on such machines you can use cloned ZFS filesystems for each jail, but even on systems limited to ups will allow for jails created on nullfs mounted filesystems....all in all this is a HUGE win for the FreeBSD crowd.

also, let me add that on such a system you can run php in it's own jail as well if you use php-fpm

(you'd still need php-cli on the main machines i'd guess though)