rutorrent commands not sticking

simur612

May 25, 2018
i have other reasons for saying not to use ubuntu. I could go into them if you really want but the bottom line is it isn't as stable as debian stable

anyone who thinks that it is doesn't know enough to deserve an opinion.

but honestly, the stability has nothing to do with my reasoning, it's actually due to some of the compiler issues which make compiling some of the stuff needed for rtorrent more difficult for some people.

Some of these issues have been fixed in later builds but i still see them pop up from time to time. also stock ubuntu comes with xmlrpc-c packaged on the system which will interfere with the svn install and you'd be shocked the number of noobs who need this issue fixed...basically, when this happens you get rtorrent build with xmlrpc-c in /usr/local/bin but linked against /usr/lib

This = big problems

hence, my instructions.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
The issue has nothing to do with distributions used, XML RPC library version, planets interactions, environment pollution but simply his rtorrent configuration regarding the "watch dir":

Code:
schedule = tied_directory,10,10,start_tied=
schedule = untied_directory,10,10,close_untied=

simur612

May 25, 2018
even if that is the case, it shouldn't effect torrents added via the webui.

but yes, the watch directory settings say:

start torrents added to this directory

close torrents deleted from this directory?

if so it would stand to reason that if you ARE using the watch directory as your only method of adding torrents then yah, it would override rutiorrents commands...but that's just so obvious that i didn't even consider he was talking about that.

I thought he was adding torrents from the webui.

so yes, if you are using your watch directory as the means to add torrents, then yes, now you know.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Stamp me with a n00b sign, because that's exactly the problem. I guess I just assumed that rutorrent would be able to pause torrents that are added in this method...

So is there no way to use the watch directory feature in rtorrent and have rutorrent be able to pause the torrents?

simur612

May 25, 2018
of course, just remove the tied line

basically tied says "torrents added to this directory (tied) will have this done to them"

so you have it set to start tied torrents

randac56

May 25, 2018
So is there any way to use the watch folder AND be able to pause torrents in rutorrent?

I found that in the rtorrent ncurses interface I have to use "^k" to pause/stop the torrent. Works great... even updates rutorrent properly, and I can start up the torrent no problem in rutorrent.

Do I have something misconfigured in rutorrent? Is there some way I can fix this?

Thanks for the help!

simur612

May 25, 2018
dude, did you try what i said?

just add this line only:
Code:
schedule = watch_directory,10,10,load_start=/var/www/downloads/torrents/*.torrent

i just did that and when i pause torrents it works.

if you look at the lines you had then read them, it makes perfect sense, let's look at them one by one:

Code:
schedule = watch_directory,10,10,load_start=/var/www/downloads/torrents/*.torrentThis line says watch a directory, start any new .torrent files you find

Code:
schedule = tied_directory,10,10,start_tied=This line says any files tied to the directory, start them (if a file is in the directory and not running, please start it back)

Code:
schedule = untied_directory,10,10,close_untied=
This line says "please stop any torrents when they are deleted from the directory)

randac56

May 25, 2018
Ah... I didn't realize it was that tied section that was causing the issue. Thanks for breaking it down like that!

Aren't you glad that Ubuntu or compiling isn't the root cause? I am!! Thanks again!

(User error, as usual) I thought I had tried removing those lines previously. Apparently not.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
hehe, honestly it was a communication problem. I wasn't aware you were using your watch directories as the main method of adding torrents....if you had been using the webui to add torrents, your problem wouldn't have happened....i also thought you understood the config file (not saying that you SHOULD have, it's my own faught for assuming)

Anyways, I'm SURE this thread will help others who run into this problem so it's a GOOD thing, i'm just sorry it took us so long....support fail on my part.

As far as ubuntu goes.....most of the problems associated with ubuntu will either happen durring the install or much later down the road, due to it's use of ext4 as a filesystem (which has serious flaws.)

Granted, these issues aren't as big of a deal on a seedbox..unless your root instal becomes corrupted....which happens more often than you think....

but anyways, i am glad it's working for you