Sockets VS Port

jith45

May 25, 2018
Hey all,

I've recently wrote a guide on setting up ruTorrent/rTorrent with sockets because there doesn't seem to be much support for it. But I have people ask me what the benefits are and I'm not positive on what to say. I've read before that it is more secure but I'm not sure if that is actually the case. If anyone could clarify a bit I'd appreciate it.

Also, I have a few questions about Sockets, since there isn't much documentation about them. Is there anyway to have rTorrent and ruTorrent communicate without using the webserver? ruTorrent accesses the socket directly, as does rTorrent (Well, they both have the socket in their conf), and I've seen in the advanced settings something called "scgi_dont_route" and I'm not sure what that means.

I guess I'll leave it at that for now, thanks for any answers!
HackedServer

PS: 3.0 is looking great, I've been told by many that ruTorrent is the future for seedboxes wink.gif

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Hey all,

I've recently wrote a guide on setting up ruTorrent/rTorrent with sockets because there doesn't seem to be much support for it. But I have people ask me what the benefits are and I'm not positive on what to say. I've read before that it is more secure but I'm not sure if that is actually the case. If anyone could clarify a bit I'd appreciate it.

Also, I have a few questions about Sockets, since there isn't much documentation about them. Is there anyway to have rTorrent and ruTorrent communicate without using the webserver? ruTorrent accesses the socket directly, as does rTorrent (Well, they both have the socket in their conf), and I've seen in the advanced settings something called "scgi_dont_route" and I'm not sure what that means.

I guess I'll leave it at that for now, thanks for any answers!
HackedServer

PS: 3.0 is looking great, I've been told by many that ruTorrent is the future for seedboxes wink.gif

technically, they are BOTH sockets. One is a tcp socket, one is a unix socket.
The benefits of one vs the other are very murky at best. It really depends on a number of factors but i can tell you from personal experience that unix sockets tend to have a number of performance issues when it comes to rutorrent. Espeically on BSD or other "true" unix type os's

some people prefer unix sockets because it offers slightly better security, and in SOME aplications provides better performance. In my experience, using unix sockets with rutorrent causes strange issues. I'm not sure if this is due to code issues in rtorrent, rutorrent, or the underlying os. I would lean towards rtorrent or rutorrent, as i use unix sockets for php and other services without issue.

as for your second question, yes, you could use the plugin RPC, this uses php to do the job of setting up the RPC mount, though it is generally considered a last resort option, as webserver SCGI will perform better.

the SCGI system should be thought of as a "tunnel" for which information is passed.

jith45

May 25, 2018
Hmm, well that is disappointing, I guess ruTorrent has been a bit flaky recently. I guess its time for a new guide. Looks like ports through the web server is how it should stay.

Thanks for the reply wonslung.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
yes, but as i said, this isn't so much a rutorrent issue. I'd use tcp ports if you are having these issues

jith45

May 25, 2018
I've already switch to ports, since sockets doesn't' seem to be advantageous.

Thanks

HS

somus1735

May 25, 2018
Just want to say here,

Im using sockets instead of ports, benefit is higher security, downside is performance, its not much higher security, and its not much slower, however you will notice the speed faster then security offcourse ;-)

Only changed today to socket instead of port, also went from apachi/lighttfp to lighttfp only (since i now have lighttfp to do everything including https)

Anyway, i notice everything is a bit slower, and at first it looked like a lot of functions are not working correctly in rutorrent 3.0 however, after putting all settings back as they should be in the config (forgot the php int.) everything looks like its working fine.

If i run into some problems (on the rutorrent side) i will let it know (for future reference).

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Like i said in a prior post, it depends on your os. (calling it sockets vs ports is really irritating me btw, they are BOTH sockets, one is a unix socket, the other is a tcp socket)

using a unix socket has been shown to cause problems with some of the plugins. Use them at your own risk.