Users?

jith45

May 25, 2018
I'd love to see a future version of ruTorrent with user support. I wanna keep my sisters torrents out of my list of torrents hehe. It would be awesome if it could authenticate with credentials from Samba or even Linux accounts.

Thoughts? Ideas?

das329717

May 25, 2018
Nope not true ..... did you really read it ?
There is only 1 instance of rutorrent running

Rtorrent is running multiple times, so if youw nat rtorrent to be for multiple users ... hop over to the rtorrent forum/site , and ask them to develop this

jith45

May 25, 2018
Ok, no I'm on my iphone and at a lecture so I only skimmed it. but does it really matter if rtorrent has multi-user support? I mean the authentification will be done by ruTorrent, and so will torrent uploads, whats to say ruTorrent can't just remember in a database which user uploaded a certain torrent? The users will (in my case at least) not be able to actually view the rtorrent client.

somus1735

May 25, 2018
we will create a multi user rutorrent ui which uses a single instance of rtorrent as SOON as rtorrent supports running torrents in this way.

Right now, this is out of the question unless you want to do this in the broken method that wtorrent does.

If you want this feature, then your BEST bet is to sponsor/pay the developers of rtorrent. Currently, rtorrent can not support 2 torrents with the same hash info from the same instance. This means if 2 users download the same torrent it will cuase problems.

When support is added in a meaningful way, i'm sure we will consider that. Right now we've created the best method for mutli user support, and let me tell you, if you come from a torrentflux background, our method is about 100 times more effecient.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
I also like to know which user it was that have added torrents, and waiting for rtorrent to add anything like that might be like waiting for Santa.
wTorrent might be broken but their way works. I was planing to see if it was a way to add a username in a dat file with user and hash to use as a username in the torrent view. But im still not very good at making plugins so I don't know if it's possible without changes in the main code. The problem will be that if someone removes a torrent outside of rutorrent the data will remain so it will need some kind of a cleanup also. Unless, can't we use the comment field on a torrent for this?

I have just witched over from wTorrent and one of the most requested request from my users is that they want to see what torrents they uploaded.

Other than that ruTorrent is great, in wTorrent i had to fix and adapt myself, the plugin system in ruTorrent really makes things easy for me to add stuff and still be able to upgrade the main code easy.

das329717

May 25, 2018
They already have different logins, but how can they see only their own torrents?

I still want to keep that they can see all users torrents so they don't download the same files. Since most of them are to damn lazy to check the FTP first tongue.gif

somus1735

May 25, 2018
well normally every account would also have there own rtorrent instance
So basicly they only see there own torrents

If they all use 1 instance of rtorrent.
Let them use labels when they add a torrent.
Maybe you can somehow force this by username logged in with ?

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
wtorrent's method does NOT work, it's broken and will NEVER work.

until rtorrent is designed for multiple users, the webuis will have to be configured the way rtorrent does it or they will simply be broken. This is a fact and it's hard to get around.

it's simple, if you want to know which user added a torrent, create a unix user for each "user"

set up an rtorrent for each one, and run it the PROPER way.

That's how you can tell who does what, and that's the way it's MEANT to be run.

ip.gif Logged
widget.jpg

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
We have linux account and diffrent logins, they use the logins to access rutorrent they have separate settings but we all share the same tracker because its easier to see what other downloads and its easier to administrate. I don't see why this should not be a PROPER way to use rutorrent, it works great like this also.

wTorrent worked, fine we used it for 2 years, it was heavy modified and used a external DB to keep track of who uploaded what. Other that that wTorrent was heavy to work with and i can understand that you don't want a external source of data.

But i still gonna play around some and see if its not possible to add user as a tag in the comment field on the torrent, i think that might be a good way to avoid a external data source

somus1735

May 25, 2018
Yes the settings is shared, the torrents and rtorrents settings are all the same.
We all know each other, we split the cost of the server and have set it up ourself.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
souds like we are talking about 2 different things.

your idea of "multi user setup" isn't the same as what a TRUE multiuser setup is, or at least, it's not the same as what most people consider to be a multiple user setup to be.

if wtorrent works fine for you, then keep using it. I didn't mean any disrespect there.

I only mean that wtorrents system is broken and will cause issues for many actual situations, not because of flaws in wtorrent, but because of how rtorrent works. The bottom line is, to have a multi user setup with a sinle rtorrent instance, changes need to be made to rtorrent.

I look forward to the day when this is possible, and if you have patched please submit them.