Where does ruTorrent save torrents?

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Like torrents that I upload either via the url option or stored on my pc? Where does it copy the torrent to?

saroos1

May 25, 2018
If i am not mistaken the .torrent file does not get saved seperately.

rutorrent will pass on the torrent to rtorrent and rtorrent will create a new session-file for it (if you have enabled session-handling in .rtorrent.rc) and download to the directory you have provided during the load-dialogue in rutorrent.

At least that happened when i tried it out a few minutes ago. Usually i am just placing my torrents in the respective watch-folders for rtorrent to pick it up and not using the rutorrent UI for it.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
there is a folder called torrents/ in the rutorrent directory. you can change this setting in config.php (with the other rutorrent files) but it should be a unique dir writable to the web user

peshua19

May 25, 2018
so does it make sense for me to make this directory my watch directory? I guess I am just concerned that I am creating some massive cache of torrents on my computer somewhere that I have no idea where they are.

I guess i should just start using the watch folder verse uploading via ui.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
i wouldn't make it my watch directory. I've been using rutorrent for months and my torrents dir is 1.7 MB

and it only has 18 torrents in it

so it must clear them out on it's own, as i've never deleted any.

randac56

May 25, 2018
ruTorrent use ./torrents directory for temporary save of .torrent files. You add .torrent file through web-interface (or rss plugin download it) => ruTorrent place .torrent file to ./torrents directory and pass it to rTorrent => if rTorrent accept it, .torrent file will be deleted from ./torrents directory. If not, .torrent file can't be deleted automatically. You can delete it by hands, if you wish.
Also all torrents created by plugin "create" without "start seeding" option will be placed in ./torrents directory.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
ok so basically after i upload a torrent through the webui and it gets passed to rtorrent, the actual .torrent file is gone right?

what happens if my rtorrent/server crashes? i can't get back the torrents i was seeding without redownloading?

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
this is why you set a session directory in your .rtorrent.rc

all torrents are placed in the session directory.

I normally use this method:

directory = /home/wonslung/rtorrent/download/
session = /home/wonslung/rtorrent/.session/

but you can use any method you like.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Ok I think I am beginning to understand. Is the session option enabled by default in rtorrent?

Basically I just want to be sure that I am going to lose the torrents I am seeding if/when I need to shutdown or reboot the server.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
check the .rtorrent.rc file for your user. This is file for settings. Anything you set in this file will be the default setup for rtorrent. If your server crashes or reboots, rtorrent (and by extension rutorrent) will use these settings.

If you set a session directory, it will use a session directory.

If you do not, it won't. It's that simple.