AutoWatch not working

peshua19

May 25, 2018
My autowatch feature is seemingly not working. I set it up to watch a folder, but whenever a .torrent file is dropped in that folder nothing happens. I changed the interval to a low # as well.

Here is my errors.log file:
[27.03.11 01:54:21]
[27.03.11 01:54:21] AutoWatch: --- begin ---
[27.03.11 01:54:21] AutoWatch: enabled : 1
[27.03.11 01:54:21] AutoWatch: autostart : 1
[27.03.11 01:54:21] AutoWatch: path_to_watch : /volume1/torrents/tor_files/
[27.03.11 01:54:21] AutoWatch: get_directory : /volume1/torrents/downloading/​

I'm using a synology NAS and followed this instructions to install rtorrent + rutorrent: http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/RTorrent_ruTorrent_HowTo

I searched around for this topic and it potentially involves editing a rtorrent.rc file, but I do not have that file...

Any suggestions?

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
you will have that file .. but might be somewhere else then the default location (otherwise rtorrent would not start/run)

randac56

May 25, 2018
which user is running rtorrent?

It's likely in that users home directory

try something like

Code:
ls -al /home/$USER/

where $user is the name of the rtorrent user.

randac56

May 25, 2018
you will have that file .. but might be somewhere else then the default location (otherwise rtorrent would not start/run)
there is no way you don't have an .rtorrent.rc file
You are both wrong, you can start rtorrent without having a .rtorrent.rc file, when you start it up you will get the following message/error:
Could not read resource file: ~/.rtorrent.rc​

rtorrent will work fine though, and you can manually add torrents (using enter/backspace).

If you are looking for an .rtorrent.rc you can use the default from the libtorrent.rakshasa.no site (first result in google if you search for rtorrent.rc):
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/export/1193/trunk/rtorrent/doc/rtorrent.rc
Where would it be located by default? I tried running a find, but no luck.​

locate is faster than find, it keeps the location of files in a database so it can return the result faster. If you just recently added files it will not find them though as it needs to update the db first before it can find new files. This update is once a day (i think, havnt really looked into the interval) though you can also trigger it manually by running updatedb.
http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?locate
http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?updatedb

peshua19

May 25, 2018
ScarS, i'm well aware you can start rtorrent without an .rtorrent.rc but it's very unlikely that rutorrent would work without a .rtorrent.rc

saroos1

May 25, 2018
ScarS, i'm well aware you can start rtorrent without an .rtorrent.rc but it's very unlikely that rutorrent would work without a .rtorrent.rc
Ah yes, that is very unlikely indeed since you need to specify the scgi_port

simur612

May 25, 2018
As I said above I posted this about a synology box which does not have a standard user based linux setup.

find cannot locate any rtorrent.rc
Locate isn't an installed command.

I think my rtorrent.rc file is called rtorrent.conf and is located in my /opt/etc/ directory.

AutoWatch does not work. Any solution?

randac56

May 25, 2018
dude, if you are using a non-standard setup then you need to contact the non-standard support people.

rutorrent being opensourced means some people will alter it, but if this happens, you need to seek help from the people who altered it (or be smart enough to figure it out on your own.)

You need to talk to whoever fucked with the code.

sounds like you have a completely non-standard setup and noone here can help you.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
sounds like you have a completely non-standard setup and noone here can help you.
Not true. Several people here have posted after installing this on a Synology NAS. I've seen threads you've responded to.

Everything works but AutoWatch. I've checked permission, the path, etc many times. No suggestions?

See here: http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=645.15
Same problem. You helped for a while, but none of that fixed it for him/me.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Try this:

Code:
find / -type f -name '*rtorrent.*' -print
The command should find all .rtorrent.rc, rtorrent.conf, and many other files.

rtorrent defaults to reading $HOME/.rtorrent.rc. You should figure out which user starts rtorrent and check its home dir.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Not true. Several people here have posted after installing this on a Synology NAS. I've seen threads you've responded to.

Everything works but AutoWatch. I've checked permission, the path, etc many times. No suggestions?

See here: http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=645.15
Same problem. You helped for a while, but none of that fixed it for him/me.
I'm not saying i can't/wont help

I'm saying if your nas people did something screwy which isn't standard what i say may or may not apply, and as such, you should seek help from the people who modified it.

simur612

May 25, 2018
Ok let's just back up a second here. my rtorrent.conf is the same as rtorrent.rc. The whole install was done using ipkg which is similar to debian's dpkg.
Just pretend I have a normal system. Besides this is a rutorrent issue, not a system issue. No support for this kind of stuff there.

Why is AutoWatch not working?
I've commented out the rtorrent watch directory in the rtorrent config file and turned on AutoWatch - no go. I did the opposite, no go.
I've made sure my php path is set. It has permissions. The error log is showing nothing (as you can see above).
How can I troubleshoot the issue?

randac56

May 25, 2018
Fixed it!

Disabled all of the autotools functions and set it up via rtorrent.

editing the autotools.php config file might work. I tried it, but was having issues restarting my rtorrent. This way worked and I'm leaving it.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
it could be an error with your php installation.

Autotools requires

Code:
register_argc_argv = On

The author of auto-tools hasn't supported in since like rutorrent. 2.8 or 2.9

This plugin really needs a complete overhaul but it's doubtful it will get done until:

1 The original author supports it
2 Novik decides to do it
3 Someone opens a bounty to push development
4 Some other dev decided to do it.

I'd love to see it get updated...i use it a lot......Though honestly i'd rather see an auto-sync plugin created first...but that's totally off topic =)

3 other things:

autowatch isn't the same as watch
autotools has a logging feature
check your webserver logs

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Bump.
my php.ini file already had "register_argc_argv = On"

I have rtorrent using a standard watch directory (/volume1/torrents/watch/). It works perfectly.

I'd like to use AutoWatch to allow labeling for future sorting when unpacking.
I've enabled AutoWatch and my errors.log file shows everything fine.
Current setup:
[06.04.11 19:58:05] AutoWatch: --- begin ---
[06.04.11 19:58:05] AutoWatch: enabled : 1
[06.04.11 19:58:05] AutoWatch: autostart : 1
[06.04.11 19:58:05] AutoWatch: path_to_watch : /volume1/torrents/autowatch/
[06.04.11 19:58:05] AutoWatch: get_directory : /volume1/torrents/downloading/​

So inside of /volume1/torrents/autowatch/ I have a folder named tv with a torrent inside of it. It is not being picked up and downloaded. I've also tried .torrent files directly in the main autowatch folder - no go.

What am I doing wrong?

Also of note: For my normal rtorrent watch directory if I remove the .torrent files from that dir the torrents seemingly are perma-pausing. It seemed to be fine before so maybe it was just the timing of the restart. If not I could use some guidance.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
i know you can't use watch and autowatch on the same directory so that may be the problem

simur612

May 25, 2018
i know you can't use watch and autowatch on the same directory so that may be the problem
They're different directories. smiley.gif (autowatch vs watch)
1) What about errors in the web-server's log?
Seemingly none. /tmp/errors.log only shows the message I posted above. (over and over)
2) Try to update core and plugin from svn. May be, this error already fixed
I'm doubtful it's outdated because I did this install about 2 weeks ago and as wonslung said - autotools hasn't been updated in a while. How do I run updates on plugins?

Should I be editing my rutorrent/autotools/autotools.php file for the settings? I'm currently using the webUI and it seems to be set right in the logs, but maybe I should set them in that file?