How to set up rutorrent 3.0 with multi-user support

simur612

May 25, 2018
It's really cool feature! But how to logout from current session?
I want to place logout button near help button. How can i do this?
It would require moving away from basic or digest authentication, and moving towards some form of php authentication.....

though i think there technically IS a way to do it with basic auth, i've seen other programs hack around the problem....though i forget exactly how they did it...the main sisue is this:

With basic auth, once you log in, it keeps you logged in till you close the browser.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Thanks for this Wonslung.

Ive just set this up and it was pretty straightforward.

Ill try and update my seedbox setup guide with an optional section on multiuser access using the info from this thread if you dont mind?

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
wonslung, is there any chance you could include how to do this setup using FreeBSD jails when you re-write the guide?

I had a bash at it but couldn't get networking enabled in the jails (using ezjail)

I think this would be the ultimate multi-user secure setup and a great guide . .

saroos1

May 25, 2018
to get networking working, it depends on how you set up your jails

If you are using public ips it's much easier.

(this would be if you had multiple public ip's and you did alias's)

Otherwise, you need to use pf and nat, which is much harder. I'd be glad to help you with either method, though it might be easier if we did it via chat.

let me know what your system is like and we will make it happen

simur612

May 25, 2018
Well for now I'm just working on a test box using proxmox to install fully virtualized machines, I have Ubuntu 9.10, Debian 5 and FreeBSD 8 installed atm . .

I plan to get a dedicated server soon, and will be installing FreeBSD on it, so then I'll have the option for public IPs . .

If I could speak to you on chat then, that would be great!

Thanks man

simur612

May 25, 2018
Code:​
cd conf/​
mkdir user/wonslung​
mkdir user/jeff​
mkdir user/snott​
mkdir user/booger​
now, if you do a ls you'll notice 3 files here:​
wonslung@debian-pvm:/var/www/rutorrent/conf$ ls​
access.ini config.php plugins.ini users​
you need to copy these files into each user directory like so:​
cp access.ini config.php plugins.ini users/wonslung​
cp access.ini config.php plugins.ini users/jeff​
cp access.ini config.php plugins.ini users/snott​
cp access.ini config.php plugins.ini users/booger​

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I wanted to give you a heads up on your instructions that messed me up. As you can see above, you mention to create user folders in /www/rutorrent/conf/user, but it should be /www/rutorrent/conf/users. You noted it both ways in the quote above. I could not get it to work in the user folder, but it worked right away with the users folder. I noticed that you also did that in the big howto (which is awesome BTW): http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=256.0. I'll post a heads up in there too in case this thread never gets read.

I spent quite a long time double checking all my config files because the blasted thing just would not work right with the config.php in the wrong place![/quote][/Quote]

simur612

May 25, 2018
hrm, i thought i fixed this a long time ago...

I see what the issue is...though to be fair, in the line right above that i say:

"now, you need to add a directory for each user in the conf/users/ directory and copy the config files for each into that dir, then edit each accordingly"

and right below that i have it listed correctly as well....also when you check out rutorrent the rutorrent/conf/users/ directory already exists....it was a typo on my part and i'm sorry if i confused you, thanks for pointing it out, i will apply the fix

peshua19

May 25, 2018
No worries. I was not blaming you. I just wanted to point it out so that people that were following the guide, and even cutting and pasting the commands, would not get tripped up in the future.

Share and share alike..

simur612

May 25, 2018
as quoted from first post

anyways, if you did everything right, when you go to your page you should be ask to put in a username and password

i have set up users in the conf/users dir as quoted above what password where am i able to set this?

Thanks