Possible issue with RSS plugin in latest SVN

randac56

May 25, 2018
Hi All,

I have updated to the latest SVN from the stable release i had on my box. I think i have noticed a problem with the RSS updater on the latest SVN version.

Before, i had setup my feeds to check every 5mins and it would update them every 5 or so mins, however since moving to the latest SVN i have found that the feeds are not getting updated every 5mins like i have set.

In the latest rutorrent version, where the feeds list is on the left hand side, i can now see the countdown from 5mins (which it used to say 30) to 0 seconds before it should refresh the RSS feeds. What i can see is it counts down, to anywhere between 20-45seconds left, then it resets to 5mins. So it never actually reaches 0seconds before it starts the counter again. However this is not the full issue, it seems that when it resets back to 5mins, it actually is not refreshing the RSS feeds. I can prove this as when the counter resets to 5mins and it keeps counting down, i manually refresh the RSS list, and i get heaps of more torrents appear in the list. So i know the RSS feed is not actually updating the feeds every 5mins like it should.

I have this line in my /home/myuser/.rtorrent.rc:
execute = {sh,-c,/usr/bin/php /var/www/rutorrent/php/initplugins.php webusername &}

and this set in
/var/www/rutorrent/plugins/rss/conf.php
$updateInterval = 5; // in minutes

As i said on the older version of rutorrent 3.2 it was working perfectly, not on the latest svn.

Let me know if there is anything else i can provide to help in troubleshooting this.

Thanks.

simur612

May 25, 2018
Hi guys,

well just an update. Strange, however i have updated the rtorrent.rc with the /tmp/execute.log logging and i can see the rss plugin being called every 5mins. I rebooted the server and bingo it started refreshing the torrents every 5mins. very strange.

however i will keep monitoring it and let you guys know if i come across any other issues.

thanks.

randac56

May 25, 2018
it could have just been that you upgraded rutorrent but hadn't restarted rtorrent yet.

Sometimes this can cause issues.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Well just an update on here. I have had the new SVN version up and going for 5 days on my box. Today throughout the morning RSS stopped updating. i didn't reboot the server or stop and start rtorrent but just noticed that the torrent list was not updating. When i manually right click and update, the list will refresh.

I have the execute commands exporting to /tmp/execute.log and interesting enough RSS doesn't show up there anymore. All i get is:
Code:
---
sh -c 'php' '/var/www/rutorrent/plugins/autotools/watch.php' 'user' &
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---As you can see the RSS is not working at the moment. Earlier in the logs from yesterday i can see this:
Code: [Select]
---
---

--- Success ---

---
sh -c 'php' '/var/www/rutorrent/plugins/rss/update.php' 'user' & exit 0
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
sh -c 'php' '/var/www/rutorrent/plugins/trafic/update.php' 'user' & exit 0
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---
I have rebooted the box and restarted rutorrent and still no go with having RSS auto execute.

Is there some other debugging i can turn on to check and see why it is not executing?

Thanks.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Hi Guys,

another update, i have found out that for some reason the RSS check seems to now be happening every hour or so. So not the 5mins that i set in the rss/config.conf file.

Code:
---
---

--- Success ---

---
sh -c 'php' '/var/www/rutorrent/plugins/scheduler/update.php' 'user' & exit 0
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
sh -c 'php' '/var/www/rutorrent/plugins/scheduler/update.php' 'user' & exit 0
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

---
---

--- Success ---

So its working, however i can't seem to work out why its not going according to my schedule of 5 mins instead of the current 1 time every hour.

very strange.

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
I had similar issues with the 3.20 RSS plugin, instead of 3 minutes, it would only update every 15.

Eventually I removed it and installed 3.10 and its working fine now.

simur612

May 25, 2018
Thanks for the reply.

So you suggest just downloading the 3.1 plugins for RSS and replace the new version i have with the old 3.1 version? i think i am going to have to try this as this issue is killing me.

i think i have been told that its not the best thing to run different plugin versions from the core version, however ill give it a shot to get this rss going again.

thanks for your reply.

Novik, is there any chance the current RSS plugin could be broken on the update timer?

cheers.

randac56

May 25, 2018
I tried for the better part of 2 days messing around with it but I still couldn't get it to work, and yeah wonslung mentioned that it wasn't recommended using an older version with a newer version of rutorrent, but in the end it may be worth a shot if you can't resolve your issues.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
is there any chance the current RSS plugin could be broken on the update timer?
No.
1) "rss/config.conf file" doesn't exist.
2) $updateInterval may be setted in plugins/rss/conf.php AND in conf/users/USERNAME/plugins/rss/conf.php. And second file has a priority. If you have this options setted in second file, then this options in first file is a unusial, it overwrited.
3) Update interval is shown on interface. What do you see on it?

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
1) "rss/config.conf file" doesn't exist.
I think that was just a typo there, in his OP he has the correct location for the conf.php
3) Update interval is shown on interface. What do you see on it?
Mine was pretty much the same as his issue, the timer counts down, clocks over when it hits 0 or when the page is refreshed but the feed doesn't update, the site i mainly use has a last rss update time listed in my profile (so I see when its been actually happening) so even though new torrents have been added to the feed it wont show in rutorrent until a manual update, or the "alternate" (if you will) update time clocks around. was 15 minutes for me but is longer for him, regardless of what is set in the conf.php.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Thanks Z16, you are right, i had a typo in there. I defiantly only have the config file in /plugins/rss/conf.php

However what i have done now is to make myself a copy of plugins/rss/conf.php in this directory: conf/users/USERNAME/plugins/rss/conf.php just to see if this makes any difference. (i can see if takes the new file as i changed the interval to be different and rutorrent now has a different time for countdown timer)

I can confirm that, the little timer counts down on the left hand side of the screen, however the RSS feeds do not update in the rss window when the feed has reached 0 on the timer. The timer will just restart and do the same thing again. I can also tell this from the /tmp/execute.log file. i tail -f the file on the box and i can tell when the RSS plugin actually is kicked off. It is kicked off roughly every 45-60 minutes. i am not sure where it is getting this setting from as i have never set it up to update that long.
when i hit manual update feed, all the feeds update correctly and i see all the new torrents.

i have also just re-downloaded from SVN this morning and still no go. i have fully re-setup rutorrent just to make sure i wasn't missing anything and still the same issue.

Are you able to try with the latest version, set the time to say 3 or 4 mins, add in an rss feed: eztv.it is a public one you can use, and let me know if it works for you?

if it helps i have around 10 feeds that update every 5 mins and totalling 280 entries in the RSS window.

let me know if there is anything else i can do to help with troubleshooting this.

thanks.

simur612

May 25, 2018
I can give updating from 3.1 a try and see if anything changes, but I'm a little tight on time today, I will try and get to it tomorrow and let you know.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Hi Z16, not a problem if you don't have time, i was wondering if maybe Novik or wonslung has some time to test this out on the latest SVN. i have tried everything i can and can't get it to work. so if any of you guys could confirm the issue i have that would be great.

cheers