Rss filters

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Howdy All

I need some help with rss filters.

Basically I have this tv series that I want to download but I only want the 3rd season and I want to specify whitch episodes I want.

I've been through the screen shot totorial but I couldn't find it there.
Do I do this in Rss Manager or somewhere else in Rutorrent?

help appreciated

thanks

simur612

May 25, 2018
yep, that's the place to be.

Your filter would probably include something like "S03E[0][1457]" for episodes 1,4,5 and 7 of season 3. But of course this depends on the naming scheme used.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Hey

Would something like this work as a filter /true.blood*/i/S03E[0][1-12] Just tried that and it didn't work. Id also like to specify High definition if possible.

I don't understand all the syntax but would like to learn. Can you suggest a site or a thread that goes into the syntax and finer nuances of rutorrent?

Thanks

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Usually the site to look at is
Code:
http://www.regular-expressions.info/. But many sites out there deal with regular expression. There are different tastes, but with time you get a feeling for it.
Currently i am using rutorrent to view my torrents but i am not actively using it for management stuff or rss.

Some hints towards your expression:
/expression/i ... i would put these at the beginning and the end to have the whole expression case insensitive.
[number] ... these are explicit definitions for a digit, so 12 is 1 and 2 but not 12.
A dot stands for any kind of character including a dot itself. The star/asterics for an arbitrary repetition of the character which stands in front of it.

So i would start e.g. with (eps 01 till 19, maybe need two filters if only wanted up to 12)
/true.blood.*S03E[01][1-9].*hdtv.*/i
If you provide a example name ...

saroos1

May 25, 2018
thanks for the addition novik.

"^" .. meaning the beginning of the string
"\." .. meaning to escape the dot. So in that the case the dot only stands for itself
"(string|string)" .. meaning OR. Have to try that on rssdler myself. Not used/seen that before

simur612

May 25, 2018
Howdy

I have tried both /^true\.blood.*S03E(0[1-9]|1[0-2]).*hdtv/i and /true.blood.*S03E[01][1-9].*hdtv.*/i in the filter box. One of the above filters did work and it started downloading the first 3 episodes of the season. The only small thing is it started downloading in two's. I have 2 eps of everything. One in HDTV.Xvid and one in 720p.HDTV

This is only after changing the way I get feeds (as below) to a proper feed URL from this one particular site.

Also I'd like to ask one stupid question. Let's suppose I've searched and found a particular series that I want say on ezRSS. When I am looking at words with the RSS feed symbol to the left of Search-based RSS Feed [?] Do you right click on it and select "copy link location" from the dropdown and use that as your feed URL. Is that how u are supposed to do it? The only reason I ask is that every tutorial I look at says "get" or "use" your feed URL here, never quite explaining how to actually get it in the first place.

I might be being dumb here but I just want to know for sure.

Help appreciated

Thanks

randac56

May 25, 2018
If you right-click and save the link or click on it and copy the URL from the top. no difference.

A site with many infos and tools concerning regex
Code:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/06/01/essential-guide-to-regular-expressions-tools-tutorials-and-resources/From there this is nice:
Code:
http://gskinner.com/RegExr/
You mentioned one of the gives filters is working and downloading in two's.

Give me just a second...
replace ".*hdtv" with "\.hdtv"
because ".*" is matching "720p" (any character repeated one or multiple times)

OR just put 720p into the "exclude" box of the feed to stay more flexible in case the naming scheme gets changed

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Hey

Have a couple of weird things happening with the feed.

Firstly this filter /True\.Blood\.S03E(0[1-9]|1[0-2])\.HDTV/i and this one /true.blood.*S03E[01][1-9].*hdtv.*/i both work and supply me with the 1st 3 episodes of season 3 true blood. The first episode is called Bad Blood.

Second. When I scroll down the feed list for the true blood feed then the list only goes as low as S02E02 not S01E01. I thought that was odd.

3rd. If I get /true.blood.*S03E[01][1-9].*hdtv.*/i and substitute *S03E for *S02E in the string to look like this:- /true.blood.*S02E[01][1-9].*hdtv.*/i then I naturally thought Id get the first 9 episodes of season 2. Instead I got episodes 11 and 12??.

4th. If I then substitute *S03E for *S01E then I get no episodes downloading.

I was hoping that this would be a universal string that I could change a few letters and numbers and Id be on my way.

Not the case. grin.gif

Thanks

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
i'm not sure what you're trying to do but:

regex isn't that hard.

if you want all of season 1 you'd do something like

/^True.Blood.S01E.*/i

if you wanted seasons 1-2 you'd do

/^True.Blood.S0[1-2]E.*/i

there's more than one way to do it but the important thing is to learn regex and how it works...learn to read the regex like you would a language

re-reading your post, it looks like your problem is that you're reading this:

/true.blood.*S02E[01][1-9].*hdtv.*/i

this would match S02E01-S02E19 (except S02E10) provided the first part matches correctly.

if you didn't find this to be so, then you probably are reading the match text wrong. keep in mind having too many ".*" in a regex can lead to matches you don't expect...readlly, though, this should match what i said above.

keep in mind, they may not be downloading because they may not exist on the feed.

it's best to use a regex checking site to see if they are what you want.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Hey

I am still having trouble with the feeds but I first I want to ask a simple question first.

I have taken the True blood feed from two different TV torrent sites. In both cases the feed when u scroll through it in Rutorrent both start somewhere through season 2. Why don't the feeds start at series 1, where on the TV sites (EZtv and ShowRSS) they do by looking at them start at season 1?

simur612

May 25, 2018
I can't speak for your experience but my filters match everything they are supposed to.

make sure your FEED is correct, make sure your FILTER matches it.

if you're not sure, learn regex, or ask.

the simple answer is:

if season 1 is on the feed, and you're not matching it, then your FILTER is bad.

If your not matching it and it's not on the feed, then your FEED is bad.

also, it's important to note, RSS feeds are normally limited by the people who make them.

simply put, they only show x number of enties.

Some will be 10, some will be 20...some will be 100

your feed may only show x number of items meaning season 1 won't be on the feed. RSS isn't meant to be a full history, it's meant to be a rolling history with the newest items first

randac56

May 25, 2018
Thanks alot guys

I'm working on a ebook titled "Sams teach yourself Regular Expresions in 10 minutes.

I'll see how that goes and work with what u have given me.

Thanks

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Howdy

Since I last posted I have been trying to learn Regex. Its a bit complicated so I'm a while off.

My question is if I get a regex string and make a few substitutions why doesnt it work.

Example:- I have been using this string for True Blood Season 3 and it works fine. This is one that someone wrote for me /^True.Blood.S03E.*/i Now I take that and turn it into this /^Flight.of.the.Conchords.S01E.*/i

Now I think to myself why doesnt the Conchord string work. All I have done is changed the words in the string and the series S0 number

Can someone tell me why I cant use the true blood example and simply subsitute. Why doesnt that work?

Also from the reading with regex they have been doing a lot of backslashes \ and you guys are using forward / slashes a lot.

Thanks

saroos1

May 25, 2018
/xxxxxxx/i is needed bu rutorrent, that why you find it every where.

^ = begin by ...

.* = everything

So /^Flight.of.the.Conchords.S01E.*/i should work but remenber that regex is case sensitive so

/^Flight.of.the.Conchords.S01E.*/i is different of /^Flight.Of.The.Conchords.S01E.*/i

Consequently be aware of case in your RSS.

++

simur612

May 25, 2018
/xxxxxxx/i is needed bu rutorrent, that why you find it every where.
No. For example, you may use |xxxxxxx| instead /xxxxxxx/. "i" - is a search modifier for case insensetive, it may be absent
/^Flight.of.the.Conchords.S01E.*/i is different of /^Flight.Of.The.Conchords.S01E.*/i
You forget about modifier "i".
/^Flight.of.the.Conchords.S01E.*/i is a some as /^Flight.Of.The.Conchords.S01E.*/i
/^Flight.of.the.Conchords.S01E.*/ is different of /^Flight.Of.The.Conchords.S01E.*/

randac56

May 25, 2018
No. For example, you may use |xxxxxxx| instead /xxxxxxx/. "i" - is a search modifier for case insensetive, it may be absent
My bad... I haven't read the whole notice ^^
/^True.Blood.S03E.*/i Now I take that and turn it into this /^Flight.of.the.Conchords.S01E.*/i​
So I don't now why it doesn't work. Maybe copy and past the entry of rss to compare it.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
is it possible that it isn't listed in the standard S01E01 format?

I've run into some sites which do not follow this convention.

Also, if Flight isn't the first word, your filter wouldn't match (though i realize it SHOULD be)

If you used any spaces in the wrong place it wouldn't match either.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
My RSS feed already has all the Includes and Excludes in it. It worked perfectly in Utorrent.
Now I am trying to duplicate it using RUTorrent. The RSS Feed only finds what I want to download.
So in the RSS Manager, what exactly would I put in for Filter and Exclude?
In Utorrent I did not need to setup any filters...