Stalled Downloads when using Multiple Torrents

das329717

May 25, 2018
I have a strange problem. Not sure if this is related to ruTorrent or my .rtorrentrc. I experience the following behavior:

• No torrents in rTorrent.
  • Add torrent #1. Torrent #1 begins downloading as fast as possible. Priority defaulted to normal.
  • While #1 is downloading, I add and start torrent #2. Priority unchanged from the default, normal.
  • Because torrent #1 is completely saturating my download bandwidth, torrent #2 gets very little (< 5 kB/s) or no download bandwidth.
  • Torrent #1 eventually completes, but torrent #2 never takes off. It will just idle at 0-5 kB/s.
  • If I stop it and start it again, it immediately picks up and downloads at normal speeds.
Similar behavior will happen when I start the rtorrent daemon with two downloading torrents in the queue. They start out fighting over the bandwidth, then one will succeed, maximize, and lock the other out.

Anyone else experienced this?

Arch Linux
Linux 2.6.36.2 Fri May 20 18:12:15 CDT 2011 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
ruTorrent 3.4 / rtorrent 0.9.2 / libtorrent 0.13.2

.rtorrentrc
Code:

scgi_port = 127.0.0.1:9000
encoding_list = UTF-8

port_range = 93877-93977
check_hash = no

directory = /mnt/Downloads
session = /home/tater/.session

encryption = allow_incoming, try_outgoing, enable_retry

# Maximum and minimum number of peers to connect to per torrent.
min_peers = 10
max_peers = 52

# Same as above but for seeding completed torrents (-1 = same as downloading)
min_peers_seed = 1
max_peers_seed = 52

# Maximum number of simultanious uploads per torrent.
max_uploads = 30

max_downloads_global = 3

# Global upload and download rate in KiB. "0" for unlimited.
download_rate = 0
upload_rate = 100

use_udp_trackers = yes
dht = auto
dht_port = 9881
peer_exchange = yes

execute = {sh,-c,/usr/bin/php /var/rutorrent/rutorrent/php/initplugins.php root &}

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
and you're sure this isn't just related to the torrent itself? If not then i can't think of a reason this should happen....i've never seen that. (not saying it's not true)

das329717

May 25, 2018
Happens on multiple trackers with multiple torrents. Public and Private. Most of my torrents are from various private trackers that are very well seeded. The restart of a stalled download results in instant increase to normal speed (as long as there are no other contending torrents). I don't think it's a seeding issue or even at network issue. This doesn't happen on my other systems on the same LAN with different clients