Unpack - Autounpack progress messages

peshua19

May 25, 2018
I've noticed that if you manually unpack, it gives progress info in the logger "unpacking started, unpacking finished" which is useful but having it automatically unpack gives no such messages. Is it possible to enable this? I want to make sure files are fully ready for torrent creation.

simur612

May 25, 2018
if it's automatic, why would you expect this?
(just currious)

you might try opening a ticket on the project page.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Do the file(s) that are in the process of being unpacked show up at its destination folder? Or will only the finished/fully unpacked file be at the destination folder? I just wonder because I would like to create a torrent of the data as soon as it's unpacked (manually for the time being) but am worried that I might accidentally try creating an incomplete file (for those times when unpacking takes a bit longer because the server's disk is busy doing other things like high speed seeding).

If the unrar on linux acts the same way as on Windows and it extracts to a temp folder and moves completed data afterwards, then this is a nonissue. But I don't know if it does that or not.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Do the file(s) that are in the process of being unpacked show up at its destination folder? Or will only the finished/fully unpacked file be at the destination folder? I just wonder because I would like to create a torrent of the data as soon as it's unpacked (manually for the time being) but am worried that I might accidentally try creating an incomplete file (for those times when unpacking takes a bit longer because the server's disk is busy doing other things like high speed seeding).

If the unrar on linux acts the same way as on Windows and it extracts to a temp folder and moves completed data afterwards, then this is a nonissue. But I don't know if it does that or not.
It depends on how the unrar command is used. Have a look at the manual page for unrar for better understanding:

http://www.edenwaith.com/support/untar/help/man/unrar.html

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
I don't quite understand. Are you saying that one of those options/switches is what I need? The only relevant choices I could see would be how it extracts (e or x) but not anything to do with a temporary folder/incomplete files.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
I'm saying that you can get unrar to behave differently depending on how it is used.

For instance: you can move to the directory you wish to have files extracted TO and run something like:

Code:
unrar e /path/to/some/rar/file.rar

or you might do something like:

Code:
unrar x /path/to/some/rar/file.rar

which gives a totally different situation.

simur612

May 25, 2018
Oh I see. However, it doesn't help me with the problem of files that are temporarily incomplete while using rutorrent. I was wondering whether there was another way (besides having the unpack plugin modified) of determining when a file was fully unpacked while using autounpack with rutorrent, as currently I either have to wait and guess that it's done, continually refresh the directory via ssh, or turn off autounpack and manually unpack in the torrent's file list.

randac56

May 25, 2018
it might be possible to make it log when it's complete...What i would do, if i were you is this:

Go to the project page as googlecode and add a feature request. Request that the unpack plugin has an option to enable logging on auto-archive to the "logger" tab

Right now novik is REALLY busy with paid work but when he's able, if he thinks it is a sane request (and if it's possible) he will add it.

It sounds reasonable to me, and it should be fairly simple because when you call unrar via shell it has an exit code which you can use in scripts to know:

unrar completed
unrar has stopped with an error

but like i said, you need to actualy request this feature, or perhaps open a bounty.