Video conversion plugin

jith45

May 25, 2018
Hi,

I've been working on a plugin to convert video files, mp4 to avi, but it could easily be expanded to convert other formats.
The only thing is I have no clue what I'm doing really lol
I've gotten so far and now I've hit a wall, the plugin loads, the context menus show up, but when I try to initiate the conversion it just does nothing.
I got as far as I have by looking at a few other plugins to see how they worked, namely, mediainfo, screenshots and data, so its quite likely that what I've got is completely useless.
I was hoping someone might be able to see where I'm going wrong with this as I've been racking my brains over this for hours now to no avail.
The way I convert cant be the problem as its how I'm already doing it, the plugin is simply designed to invoke the conversion from within ruTorrent.
I've attached what I've done, so is someone with a bit more knowledge could have a look I'd really appreciate it smiley.gif

Thanks,

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Just an update for anyone who's interested in this project.
I started from scratch, forcing myself to learn how everything works, and I've got quite far with the plugin now.
I decided it should convert more than just mp4 files, at the moment it just does videos, but I see no reason this couldn't be expanded to audio files later too,
FLAC to MP3 conversion from within ruTorrent would be something I think that a lot of people might use.
For me the video conversion side of this is the most important, and also most tricky, so I'm aiming to get that done 100% first.
I've got it to convert videos now, no problems there any more, I'm just figuring out how best to display everything and how to handle things,
there's a lot left to implement, auto conversion, conversion queues, progress displays, conversion of all files within a torrent, etc.
But it's coming along now, I wouldn't say no to some extra help with this, or even just some suggestions as to what features people would like, etc.
Anyway, I'll upload the new version once I've got it working a bit more stable.

jith45

May 25, 2018
Another update for anyone interested, its coming along really nicely now I've worked out how a lot of things will be done so its looking good.
I've mainly been working on the UI since all the back end stuff is quite simple, and it's really dependant on the interface to it.
I'm not sure when it'll be ready for release because it depends how much time I have to work on it, and I don't want to release it until its at least beta worthy.
Here's a screenshot showing the main settings panel and the conversion queue tab.

Click to enlarge

Hopefully I'll have this ready for testing soon, but I want to add in as many features as I can before then, so if anyone has any suggestions for it now is the best time to let me know.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
Important work. Vitally important for those using the in rutorrent seedbox. I have three suggestions for you to consider the possibility of implementing:

One. Support importing Bluray and DVD folders (such as source files);
2nd. Ensuring a fair amount of customizations (bitrate, set desired final file size, dual audio, subtitles, etc.);
3rd. Allow save and import profiles with custom parameters for conversion.

This plugin is Faved here, congratulations!

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Yeah great work ! If you implement mkvmerge feature, your plugin will be awesome cheesy.gif

I keep watch this thread.

++ Nico

PS : Don't forget adding all lang file in folder lang even if it's always in english.

das329717

May 25, 2018
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm glad people think this is good, hopefully it can do the things everyone wants.

acamposxp,
1: By Bluray and DVD folders do you mean converting of the downloaded disc rips(torrents containing .VOB, .IFO. etc files) to a single(or multiple) .mkv/.mp4/.avi file?
2: Yes, all these features are already in consideration, bitrate can be auto calculated based on desired output size, but other ways will be possible. dual audio, subtitles, etc will be looked into.
3: This is a very good idea, I will implement that right away, profiles will allow much easier customization of output settings for the user.

nicobubulle,
I am not familiar with mkvmerge, but I will look into this, I assume it allows joining of split movies into a single file? if so I will certainly look into doing this as it is a good idea.
And yes, I won't forget the lang files, I can try to put as many translations as I can by default but perhaps this is best left to people who know the correct translations.

jith45

May 25, 2018
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm glad people think this is good, hopefully it can do the things everyone wants.

acamposxp,
1: By Bluray and DVD folders do you mean converting of the downloaded disc rips(torrents containing .VOB, .IFO. etc files) to a single(or multiple) .mkv/.mp4/.avi file?
2: Yes, all these features are already in consideration, bitrate can be auto calculated based on desired output size, but other ways will be possible. dual audio, subtitles, etc will be looked into.
3: This is a very good idea, I will implement that right away, profiles will allow much easier customization of output settings for the user.

nicobubulle,
I am not familiar with mkvmerge, but I will look into this, I assume it allows joining of split movies into a single file? if so I will certainly look into doing this as it is a good idea.
And yes, I won't forget the lang files, I can try to put as many translations as I can by default but perhaps this is best left to people who know the correct translations.
Folder BD

rxVBV.png

Folder DVD

Q2xNQ.gif

2. Thanks!
2. Thanks!

I look forward to the beta version. If you want, I propose to make the translation into Portuguese of Brazil

somus1735

May 25, 2018
I was correct then acamposxp, you're talking about encoding DVD or Bluray rips, which can be ripped to folders as you showed or to ISO files,
both of which can be used as sources for encoding as far as I know, so I will look into this and will try to implement it as a feature at some point.
If you can do the Portuguese translation that would be great, thanks for offering.

das329717

May 25, 2018
It there anything specifically that mkvmerge does which ffmpeg or mencoder doesn't?
As I can put an interface to any of these CLI tools but it is easier for me to focus one one at a time, for now I am using ffmpeg as it does a lot and is common,
but if you can tell me what features mkvmerge brings which we can't get from ffmpeg then I can look into adding just those, or including a way to select the desired encoding tool in the options.

I can see that mkvmerge is a powerful tool for manipulating MKV files, but most if not all of these things can be done with ffmpeg too,
although ffmpeg requires more work to do the same it seems, but this is not a big issue as the plugin will make it invisible to the user.

jith45

May 25, 2018
If your plugins support profiles like the Megui and Hybrid will be very good. Advanced options in x264 encoding, supporting, for example, High10 Level, High 4:4:2 and 4:4:4, tune, and especially encoder in 10 bit color (supported by x264) would be excellent and revolutionary. The Handbrake piece for this extremely limited support. This can all be done via profile if you only worry about the CLI (plugin), and not limiting the resources of codecs, as does the HandBrake. This same observation holds true for audio and subtitles.
The idea is promising, if you need help, I'm available. Accepting profiles, you do not need GUI for everything.

http://i.imgur.com/TsYj5.png

We have developed a very good profile for 10bit color in Hybrid, the Selur. I have attached below, if you want to test the feasibility. Beforehand, reinforcement that requires a lot of hardware, but the results are surprising:

Can leave a BD 2 hours and 20 minutes (38GB), with a size of 751MB, the quality of the images below:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/8/16/3337690/110.png

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/8/16/3337690/181.png

somus1735

May 25, 2018
I will have to see what is achievable, everything suggested so far is possible I think, its just the time it might take to get implement everything.
As I am only working on this in my free time I'm trying to design it so it can be expanded on easily, this means when I get time to work on it I can add new features fairly quickly.
I want to have core functionality in place which will be useful to most people before I start including more advanced features.
Foremost is an interface to ffmpeg that will allow transcoding of video files, secondly the same ability but for ALAC,FLAC, and WAV files.
Once those features are in place it should be easy to expand to allow the use of other tools, like mkvmerge, mencoder, etc and introduce new features.
The biggest issue is allowing for all possible future additions before knowing how they will be implemented, or even what they might be.

jith45

May 25, 2018
It's not dead, I just haven't had a lot of time to work on it so its not coming along very quickly at the moment.
The basics are in place, once I get a chance I'll hopefully get it functioning fully and release a beta, then over time I can add new features.

das329717

May 25, 2018
Handbrake is good, but limited. Does not support DeepColor output (first bit color), for example. The ideal is to use ffmpeg / memcoder, with support for profiles

somus1735

May 25, 2018
Hi. This is exactly the feature i was looking for cheesy.gif

I'm having trouble installing it though. I copied it to the plugin folder and did a restart but it doesn't show up in the menu.
Running ruTorrent v3.5 rev 2308.

Anything i forgot to do? or can do to resolve the problem?

Thanks in advance

jith45

May 25, 2018
LOL @ brianfroeland... the plugin link isn't even up yet.

Anyway, I'd be really interested in a plugin like this, even if it is unfinished. You should put it up on GitHub, especially if you've lost interest in working on it. Somebody else could pick up on it.

I hacked in some basic "unmkv" support (using xenonmkv) into the unzip plugin, mainly because I was worried about the order of how the plugins work.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Whereas the last post of the supposed author of the plugin was on 04/12/2012, I suppose he must have abandoned the project (if there was one). Unfortunately. It was a great idea. Hope some volunteer (who knows programming) adopt the idea. cry.gif