Tracker swarms not showing & large torrents stuck paused

das329717

May 25, 2018
Hello smiley.gif
I did search and read every post here but im stuck at fixing 1 or 2 small issues i have and would love to get them fixed.

My setup is a VPS server running on debian - RuTorrent is version 3.1 - Rtorrent is version 0.8.6 - Libtorrent-0.12.6

My first problem is the swarms dont seem to scrape and show as 0 seeds 0 peers even though the swarms are healthy i cant find how to scrape them more or connect to the swarm and when i look in the general tab the tracker and status just show blank.I know the torrent has seeds and peers and it was seeding back during download but once the download has completed it stops uploading and although it shows seeding it wont seed or see the swarm.This happens on all torrents using different trackers and also having some torrents with backup trackers and some without huh.gif
2hy8brm.png

My second problem is related to large torrents or torrents with lots of files, They either get stuck paused and nothing will start them or i get this error below :
Storage error: [Hash checker was unable to map chunk: Too many open files]

I read that it was related to memory and the rtorrent.rc file not having enough connections allocated but my rtorrent.rc file shows
# Max number of files to keep open simultaniously.
max_open_files = 20480
Max memory in MB is 3277

Even stopping all other torrents and having just that 1 running hasnt fixed it so im lost now huh.gif

Thanks in advance for your help smiley.gif
Hello smiley.gif
I did search and read every post here but im stuck at fixing 1 or 2 small issues i have and would love to get them fixed.

My setup is a VPS server running on debian - RuTorrent is version 3.1 - Rtorrent is version 0.8.6 - Libtorrent-0.12.6

My first problem is the swarms dont seem to scrape and show as 0 seeds 0 peers even though the swarms are healthy i cant find how to scrape them more or connect to the swarm and when i look in the general tab the tracker and status just show blank.I know the torrent has seeds and peers and it was seeding back during download but once the download has completed it stops uploading and although it shows seeding it wont seed or see the swarm.This happens on all torrents using different trackers and also having some torrents with backup trackers and some without huh.gif
2hy8brm.png

My second problem is related to large torrents or torrents with lots of files, They either get stuck paused and nothing will start them or i get this error below :
Storage error: [Hash checker was unable to map chunk: Too many open files]

I read that it was related to memory and the rtorrent.rc file not having enough connections allocated but my rtorrent.rc file shows
max_open_files = 20480
Max memory in MB is 3277

Even stopping all other torrents and having just that 1 running hasnt fixed it so im lost now huh.gif

Thanks in advance for your help smiley.gif

Attachments

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
that's WAAAAAY too many max open files.

also, sounds like your shit may be set up majorly wrong

max open files shouldn't be over 128 probably

das329717

May 25, 2018
Cheers Wonslung smiley.gif

I'll edit the max open files to 128

When you say my shit may be setup wrong could i have a clue ? cheesy.gif They work fine when downloading but after they finish and show as completed they just ignore the swarm and sit there doing nothing, Thinking it could be the swarm i tried the same torrent file on a T-Flux install and that works just fine huh.gif They dont show as an error and nothing obvious i can see so im lost angry.gif

Attachments

das329717

May 25, 2018
Changing max open files to 128 has fixed the second problem grin.gif Thanks

But the 1st problem still exists , I cant see the swarms even though they are healthy and the tracker announce(s) and status still show blank info sad.gif
Any help would be great because im lost and its all i need to finish the install/setup smiley.gif Everything else is fine

Attachments

jith45

May 25, 2018
If you dont have it installed - then this is a *NOT* ruTorrent problem. This is a problem of rTorrent. For example, rTorrent's port is closed

das329717

May 25, 2018
@ Novik65 - If the port was closed wouldnt it stay closed ? The downloads work fine during download showing the swarm and tracker info but once completed they stop connecting and show 0 seeds 0 peers and no tracker announce or status listed.

@ Wonslung - The show peers like WTorrent plugin has helped smiley.gif As you can see below the torrents do have a swarm that before i couldnt see but the plugin shows there is a swarm but once the download has completed i stop seeding so every torrent im basically doing a hit n run, The 7.31 GB uploaded was done during download and now its completed i cant seed any more or see the tracker announce and status.
641pue.png

Thanks for all the help so far and if you have any other ideas id be glad to try them grin.gif
I think ill try removing all the plugins and see if that helps and then go over my rtorrent.rc file and try changing settings to shed some light on why my servers determind to hit n run and not share back cheesy.gif

Attachments

das329717

May 25, 2018
After many more hours searching ive found someone with the exact same error as me in a support ticket at libtorrent http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/2170
To save anyone clicking and reading it says this :
hope rakshasa would add in the next realeases the option to scrape a tracker.

at the moment rtorrent would only show a complete peer list if the tracker runs with the xbtt torrent source (C++), all other trackers (private) or not would ever display 0/0 they will send you only the swarm at the start of a torrent, but when theres no active peer connection you receive 0/0​

So does that mean rtorrent wont scrape/update the swarm status huh.gif Once the download is complete it wont look to see new peers so it never shares back after the download ..... unless the tracker runs on ' xbtt torrent source (C++) '

Is there a way to force a manual scrape or know a way around this please ?

Cheers smiley.gif

Attachments

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
dude, noone else has this problem for REAL.

I've been using rtorrent for years and it ALWAYS seeds back.

If it's not seeding back there are 3 possible reasons.

1) You set it up wrong.

2) The tracker is set up wrong.

3) Network issue preventing it from working properly. (like a router not forwarding ports correctly)

You are probably in the state the call "unconnectable"

This happens due to your ports not being forwarded properly.

Even in this state, it's possible to download and share to a limited number of peers. This problem is NOT related to rutorrent but i don't mind trying to help you fix it.

Please tell me is this a seedbox, or running at home behind a router?

are you running any firewall software?
(some firewalls let traffic OUT but not back in this would cause your issue)

Please post your .rtorrent.rc and any other relavent infomation.

for more information please read http://wiki.themixingbowl.org/How_to_become_connectable

das329717

May 25, 2018
If it's not seeding back there are 3 possible reasons.​

1) Sounds right cheesy.gif
2) It happens on all trackers and ive tried a few so i ruled that out
3) Shouldnt be any but ill check

You are probably in the state the call "unconnectable"​

I thought that but i tested on a private tracker and the 3 i had seeding to it showed me as connectable with the same 3 showed in my active list.

This problem is NOT related to rutorrent​

Yeah i know that sorry and wasnt trying to say it was smiley.gif ive read most of the posts here before signing up and know you and others could help plus rutorrent is far more nicer than wtorrent.

but i don't mind trying to help you fix it​

Cheers smiley.gif ive spent weeks trying to get this setup and working right and im so close its just this 1 snag i cant get passed.

Please tell me is this a seedbox, or running at home behind a router?
are you running any firewall software?​

Its a seedbox running on a Debian VPS and no firewall software

Please post your .rtorrent.rc and any other relavent infomation.​

My .rtorrent.rc has changed 101 times all day but right now its set to the same values listed here http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=256.0
Now and then i seen an error message " Tracker: [Timed Out] " listed in the support ticket > http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/1546
I followed the instructions and compiled c-ares then recompiled curl with the "--enable-ares" option but that didnt change anything.

I really want to finish this but i dont know what to try next so any help is great thanks smiley.gif I had hoped this was a common issue and easy to fix but i guess not cheesy.gif

Attachments

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
well this sounds very strange to me.

I've set up literally hundreds of seedboxes...i've NEVER seen this issue.

if you are connectable then by default, you can seed.

that's what it MEANS

somus1735

May 25, 2018
@ Novik65 - If the port was closed wouldnt it stay closed ? The downloads work fine during download showing the swarm and tracker info but once completed they stop connecting and show 0 seeds 0 peers and no tracker announce or status listed.​

If you can download and you see seeds/peers during download, but you seee 0/0 when download finished - yes, probably rTorrent port is closed. Or you client use old version of curl. Or something like that. Yet once - this problem hasn't relation to webui. It has relation to your client/network/system configuration.
The show peers like WTorrent plugin has helped​

This plugin show info from scrape (digits after /). If you havent it - you see info about *real* peers/seeds, to which you client can connect.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
another thing which people always seem to NOT understand is this:

just because a torrent reports x number of peers doesn't mean you will connect to ANY of them. It's ALL based on the tracker and clients, whether or not the peers are connectable and a number of other factors.

but chances are you've set up rtorrent wrong or are behind a firewall.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
Hi there pvk181, I am in agreement in wonslung.

Just out of interest did you follow the instructions when updateing your c-ares and libcurl. Did you install from tarballs the latest versions and THEN recompile rtorrent/libtorrent?

Just a shot in the dark, try changing your peer exchange (in your rtorrent.rc) to yes and restart rtorrent. YES I can hear the rest of you saying it only applies to torrents not marked private!

Stubs

das329717

May 25, 2018
Thank you Wonslung and Novik65 smiley.gif I know the basics of how trackers and swarms work and ive used Flux for a while so i have a good idea of what to expect but i prefer Rutorrent.
I'm new to rtorrent and rutorrent but i wont give up so thanks for all the help so far smiley.gif

@ Stubs - Thanks for the input and yes i followed the instructions for c-ares and libcurl .... i think cheesy.gif

c-ares
Code:
wget http://c-ares.haxx.se/c-ares-1.6.0.tar.gz
tar -zxvf c-ares-1.6.0.tar.gz
cd c-ares-1.6.0
./configure
make
make install
curl
Code:
wget http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.19.5.tar.gz
tar -zxvf curl-7.19.5.tar.gz
cd curl-7.19.5
./configure --enable-ares
make
make install
recomplied libtorrent 0.12.6 then rtorrent 0.8.6 with xmlrpc-c

Rebooted the server and everything is still the same but i dont have any error messages either so i cant see where to look huh.gif I have dnsutils installed and nslookup returns the trackers info and ip addy.
I think ill spend a bit longer trying to work out why before re-installing debian and trying again undecided.gif maybe next time round it will work perfect

Attachments

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
do this.

Start 5-10 torrents from a site which are freeleech

let them finish.

Then after 3-4 hours send a screenshot of the torrents in rutorrent.

das329717

May 25, 2018
Thanks Wonslung smiley.gif

I have 7 downloading from 3 different trackers and i have a screen shot of them during download and ill take another shot in a few hours and see if it gives any hints to my problems.

Ill post my rtorrent.rc file then aswell.

Attachments

das329717

May 25, 2018
After downloading the 7 torrents they have been seeding since so ive taken 3 screens showing during download - 3hrs after and 6hrs after smiley.gif
As normal the downloads were fine and the tracker announce shows then as soon as the download is completed the tracker announce disappears huh.gifI've kept the screens full size so i wont post them here.

Screen 1 - During download http://i34.tinypic.com/8vx4z4.png
Screen 2 - 3hrs 32mins later http://i34.tinypic.com/34hjjbb.png
Screen 3 - 6hrs 27mins later http://i35.tinypic.com/1xdv7.png

Something definatly happens after the download has completed huh.gif During download it seeds fine and speeds are decent and stable but after that they slow down or most of the time stop - I know its impossible to get accurate info because of the nature of bittorrent with every swarm and peer location changing per torrent but it definatly puts downloads as priority and then once i become a seed it completly loses interest in the swarm.

I've also just seen an error that keeps coming and going on 1 torrent but most of the time its ok so im not sure if its common and i dont watch it enough or if its a 1 off affecting 1 torrent
Tracker: [Couldn't resolve host name]​

3 torrents all using the same ubuntu tracker but 1 has an issue and the other 2 are fine cheesy.gif But then it changes back to completed and out of the red error state.

Below is my current rtorrent.rc file that was used during the downloads above but ive tried many different settings from different guides here and elsewhere and also the default settings from libtorrent but nothing helps apart from changing my max open connections fixed the paused/stuck torrents i kept getting

Code:
# Global
max_downloads_global = 10
max_uploads_global = 100

# Maximum and minimum number of peers to connect to per torrent.
min_peers = 30
max_peers = 200

# Same as above but for seeding completed torrents (-1 = same as downloading)
min_peers_seed = -1
max_peers_seed = -1

# Maximum number of simultanious uploads per torrent.
max_uploads = 50

# Global upload and download rate in KiB. "0" for unlimited.
download_rate = 0
upload_rate = 0

# Default directory to save the downloaded torrents.
directory = ~/data

# Default session directory. Make sure you don't run multiple instance
# of rtorrent using the same session directory. Perhaps using a
# relative path?
session = ~/.session

# Watch a directory for new torrents, and stop those that have been
# deleted.
schedule = watch_directory,5,5,load_start=~/watch/*.torrent
schedule = untied_directory,5,5,stop_untied=

# Close torrents when diskspace is low.
schedule = low_diskspace,5,60,close_low_diskspace=100M

scgi_port = 127.0.0.1:59475

# Port range to use for listening.
# port_range = 58000-59000
port_range = 59473-59477
# Start opening ports at a random position within the port range.
port_random = yes

# Check hash for finished torrents. Might be usefull until the bug is
# fixed that causes lack of diskspace not to be properly reported.
#check_hash = no

# Set whetever the client should try to connect to UDP trackers.
use_udp_trackers = no

# Alternative calls to bind and ip that should handle dynamic ip's.
#schedule = ip_tick,0,1800,ip=rakshasa
#schedule = bind_tick,0,1800,bind=rakshasa

# Encryption options, set to none (default) or any combination of the following:
# allow_incoming, try_outgoing, require, require_RC4, enable_retry, prefer_plaintext
#
# The example value allows ixncoming encrypted connections, starts unencrypted
# outgoing connections but retries with encryption if they fail, preferring
# plaintext to RC4 encryption after the encrypted handshake
#
encryption = allow_incoming,enable_retry,prefer_plaintext

# Enable DHT support for trackerless torrents or when all trackers are down.
# May be set to "disable" (completely disable DHT), "off" (do not start DHT),
# "auto" (start and stop DHT as needed), or "on" (start DHT immediately).
# The default is "off". For DHT to work, a session directory must be defined.
#
dht = disable

# UDP port to use for DHT.
#
# dht_port = 6881

# Enable peer exchange (for torrents not marked private)
#
#peer_exchange = yes
peer_exchange = no

#
# Do not modify the following parameters unless you know what you're doing.
#

# Hash read-ahead controls how many MB to request the kernel to read
# ahead. If the value is too low the disk may not be fully utilized,
# while if too high the kernel might not be able to keep the read
# pages in memory thus end up trashing.
#hash_read_ahead = 10

# Interval between attempts to check the hash, in milliseconds.
#hash_interval = 100

# Number of attempts to check the hash while using the mincore status,
# before forcing. Overworked systems might need lower values to get a
# decent hash checking rate.
# hash_max_tries = 3

max_open_files = 128

Thank you again for taking the time to help when its not an rutorrent issue smiley.gif but im lost and just cant find whats going wrong with it and i really do want to use it.

Attachments