Ubuntu Seedbox with rtorrent | rutorrent | pureftpd | multi-user (optional)

peshua19

May 25, 2018
First thank you so much for this guide! I went from knowing little about linux a few days ago, to almost having this working. I do have a few questions regarding this installation. I have had to log in as root in order to give permission for some of these commands to work. I know that is not best practice, but could find no other way to execute the commands without running in root. This is also where I am running into a few problems I believe. First I get the following error message when trying to execute

Code:
sudo chown -R <username>:<username> <username>

chown: cannot access `****': No such file or directory
Secondly, I get the following when trying to execute rtorrent from user

Code:
****@******:~$ rtorrent
rtorrent: Could not lock session directory: "/home/downloads/****/.session/", Permission denied

I am running Ubuntu Server 10.10, Thanks!!!
Since you're using Ubuntu, you should be using the sudo command to get root privileges. Eg., instead of eg. chown -R blah do sudo chown -R blah.

The first problem is probably because you're not in the right directory. Use the cd command to change directory. I'm not exactly sure which dir it should be but perhaps /home/downloads, so try this: cd /home/downloads and then sudo chown .......

To fix the last problem, execute this: sudo chown -R username:username /home/downloads/username Change username to your user name. That command will reset ownership back to your user. It's probably owned by root.

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
Since you're using Ubuntu, you should be using the sudo command to get root privileges. Eg., instead of eg. chown -R blah do sudo chown -R blah.

The first problem is probably because you're not in the right directory. Use the cd command to change directory. I'm not exactly sure which dir it should be but perhaps /home/downloads, so try this: cd /home/downloads and then sudo chown .......

To fix the last problem, execute this: sudo chown -R username:username /home/downloads/username Change username to your user name. That command will reset ownership back to your user. It's probably owned by root.
Thank you so much Brock! That was exactly my problem and being a newbie, had no idea how to fix it. It is great people like you all that make the open source community a great place for people like me!!

saroos1

May 25, 2018
can somebody please help me? I am having a problem with this step

"Configure Apache for HTTPS and password protection"

this is the output in terminal when I enter this
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload​
:
Syntax error on line 2 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:
Invalid command '\xc2\xa0\xc2\xa0', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
...fail!​
I am not sue what I have done wrong... This is my 3rd attempt at this tutorial and I tried to continue after ignoring this but it ends up not working.
I am running Ubuntu 10.04 (x86_64) - Minimal.

Thanks for the help

saroos1

May 25, 2018
ok, The tutorial says to write that command... but I tried "sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart" and got this

* Restarting web server apache2
* We failed to correctly shutdown apache, so we're now killing all running apache processes. This is almost certainly suboptimal, so please make sure your system is working as you'd expect now!
... waiting Syntax error on line 2 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:
Invalid command '\xc2\xa0\xc2\xa0', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
...fail!​

simur612

May 25, 2018
It's probably cause the apache wasn't running in the first place, are you sure it was started properly?

randac56

May 25, 2018
the error tells you that your apache config is bad. Look at the error logs and find out what is wrong.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Hi. I'd like to say thanks for the guide! This has to be the most complete start to finish rutorrent + rtorrent guide I've found to date. I do have a few questions though.

1. Is there a way to change your password for apache once you set it?. I tried to use sudo htdigest -c /etc/apache2/passwords gods <username> and that worked for me. But afterwards my other users passwords dont work for their rutorrrent urls...

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Hey everyone. First time on these forums, first time checking out ruTorrent really. Did a search after I got leased a server and found this thread, because it matched my needs perfectly.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit on a Pentium D 820 Dual Core Dedicated Server. It's a single CPU Dual Core 2.8GHZ 800FSB 2x1MB with 1 gig of RAM.

I followed the guidance in the thread and got everything installed and setup. The current issue I'm having is that now that everything is set up, if rTorrent has been running for more than about 5 minutes, any time I try to access it with ruTorrent, my entire server crashes. Yea, whole thing goes down. The first time I ran it, I ran rTorrent through screen, and controlled it from ruTorrent. I set a torrent downloading, and after about 5 minutes, my server became unresponsive while I was browsing settings through ruTorrent's gui. The second time it has crashed, I ran rTorrent through the console and resumed the torrent that crashed. It continued to run for about 10 minutes or so, so I decided to attempt to use ruTorrent again. As soon as I hit enter and loading screen for ruTorrent popped up in my browser, my server crashed again.

In short, my server has crashed twice related to rTorrent and ruTorrent. I'm wondering if there would be a way I can figure out who the culprit is, rTorrent or ruTorrent, without having my box crash again, hah. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not entirely inept, but it has been a while since I've used a box over ssh, and the last time was for the same reason, using rTorrent. I had never tried ruTorrent before this guide though. Thanks for the help!

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
well it's very doubtful that it was caused by rutorrent seeing as it's just a webap, unless, perhaps youve got some weirdness with your webserver/php or xmlrpc library

i personally wouldn't use ubuntu....i don't care what anyone says, it's NOT a server os.

anyways, with the information youv'e given it would be IMPOSSIBLE to even GUESS what the problem is, and probably very hard to guess even if you could provide more info....it could be a million things....

try checking your webserver error logs

saroos1

May 25, 2018
It's most definitely rTorrent. It's leaving me puzzled. I'm discouraged with rTorrent and Ubuntu right about now, as I'm seeing no reason for it's crashing. In checking my logs, there's nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps rTorrent is downloading or writing faster than the hardware can handle.

Thanks for your assistance. ruTorrent was bad ass for the few minutes I was able to use it, haha.

simur612

May 25, 2018
I have a little problem. When i try to launch :

sudo /etc/init.d/rtorrent start

I have this error : cannot find readable config /root/.rtorrent.rc. check that it is there and permissions are appropriate

I try to give chown to my user or to root with this :

sudo chown root:root (or my user) /etc/init.d/rtorrent​

But i always have this error...

After that, i try to launch rtorrent after i complete rutorrent installation.

I can see this at the bottom of the screen :

( 4:25:43) Using 'epoll' based polling.
( 4:25:43) Using 'epoll' based polling.
( 4:25:43) XMLRPC initialized with 831 functions.
( 4:25:43) The SCGI socket is bound to a specific network device yet may still pose a
security risk, consider using 'scgi_local'.​

and everytime i launch rutorrent (i need to enter my login/mdp), rtorrent is close and i can do nothing :/

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
The owner of the file should be root.

Did you edit the user name?

The user should not be the root user. Use a normal user.
Oh ! It's that's line ! I believe it was just an example. I'll check with user="Myusername".

Thx !

After that, i need to do :

sudo chown root:root /etc/init.d/rtorrent ?

and rutorrent should work fine ? Because when i open rutorrent yesterday, rtorrent shutdown suddently.

PLEASE don't run rtorrent as root.​
I run rtorrent with my user with screen on ssh session.

PS : Sorry for my english

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Yes, /etc/init.d/rtorrent should be owned only by root since the file will execute with root privileges. Only the root user should have write access to that file.

and rutorrent should work fine ? Because when i open rutorrent yesterday, rtorrent shutdown suddently.​
Do you see any error message when rtorrent crashes?

simur612

May 25, 2018
I don't think so... How i can check log of rtorrent ? Like that i can tell what i can see in there.