Ubuntu Seedbox with rtorrent | rutorrent | pureftpd | multi-user (optional)

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Ah ! With the good "username", now, when i start rutorrent, i can see that :

Bad link to Rtorrent. Check if it is really running. Check $scgi_port and $scgi_host setting in config.php and scgi_port in rtorrent configuration file.​
In apache conf.php i have this :

SCGIMount /RPC2 127.0.0.1:5000
servername localhost​
and in nano ~/.rtorrent.rc file, i have this :

# Start opening ports at a random position within the port range.
#port_random = yes

scgi_port = 127.0.0.1:5000​

I didn't do and didn't want the "multi user" part. For information ^^

randac56

May 25, 2018
You're using rtorrent 0.8.7. No wonder it's crashing. You did not follow this tutorial from start to end.

Follow the instructions and you should have no problem installing it. Many other people have successfully used this tutorial.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
It's most definitely rTorrent. It's leaving me puzzled. I'm discouraged with rTorrent and Ubuntu right about now, as I'm seeing no reason for it's crashing. In checking my logs, there's nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps rTorrent is downloading or writing faster than the hardware can handle.

Thanks for your assistance. ruTorrent was bad ass for the few minutes I was able to use it, haha.
Did you use rtorrent 0.8.6 or 0.8.7?

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
You're using rtorrent 0.8.7. No wonder it's crashing. You did not follow this tutorial from start to end.

Follow the instructions and you should have no problem installing it. Many other people have successfully used this tutorial.

Woops, i didn't see that. I'll try again ^^'

simur612

May 25, 2018
Works fine now !

And then... I try to change the language of rutorrent. And... BOOM !

Try to restart the serv... Not working.

Try to restart chrome... Working !

I think i'll stay with english !

Thx for this tuto, i'll finish it (ftp) a little bit latter. It's work perfectly when we follow it exactly.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
What language did you try? And what happened. You say boom, but that doesn't say much.
Did your computer blow up? Did rtorrent crash?

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
I try french and i have something like "error server 500 (or 400)" in the journal. But after, i saw something...

Rutorrent work fine with firefox but with chrome (chrome canary, maybe it's why) it's not working at all.

In live :

Chrome =>

And nothing work...

Firefox => Everything look great and it's in french.

So, maybe from the beginning it's just chrome who fuck up everything... o_o

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Hi

Thanks for the awesome guide, just set the server up today.

However, there is a slight problem - adding a new user takes quite a while and a lot of manual work. Would there be a way to make an automated or semi-automated script for that? I am not that good at linux scripting.

Thanks

simur612

May 25, 2018
Thanks, I'll try it out tomorrow.

I have another question - I have another HDD in the server which I would like to use for user download directories. How would I go about doing that? Should I create users with their home directories on that HDD?

And lastly - I want to limit the download directory size with quotatool. Is it enough to just limit the download directory size for each user? I probably should enable pre-allocating the files. How will rtorrent react if trying to add another download goes over the directory size limit?

randac56

May 25, 2018
currently you would need to either buy the quotaspace plugin or write something similar yourself. The biggest issue with quota is that if you read a quota, rtorrent will lock up and shoot to 100%.

If you want more details on the paid plugin email me at [email protected]

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Hi! I follow all the steps of this tutorial for do a clean install of rTorrent + ruTorrent + Multi-Users (3 Users) over a dedicated server with Ubuntu v10.04 x32.

All seems right but when i log in ruTorrent with any user rTorrent shows the next error code and doesn´t work properly:

Code:
rTorrent's user can't access 'id' program. Some functionality will be unavailable.
I´ve attached all the commands typed over SSH. Could someone help me? Thanks in advance

lisas4567

May 25, 2018

Many Many thanks for your greatest POST!!!

Finally, rTorrent has been worked nicely and stably. Thanks again.

At the moment, I have a little query here, hopefully you can give me a hand for it.

I am trying to configure the file below, I wish I can use http://xxx.xxx.com rather than using http://xxx.xxx.com/rutorrent, and I need to protect the site from http://xxx.xxx.com onwards rather than http://xxx.xxx.com/rutorrent

/etc/apache2/sites-available/default

I have done below so far, but is not working,

DocumentRoot /var/www/rutorrent/
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www/rutorrent/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
allow from all