Ubuntu Seedbox with rtorrent | rutorrent | pureftpd | multi-user (optional)

saroos1

May 25, 2018
but this isn't true

you can have multiple physical ip's per nic.

There is nothing "virtual" about them. They are real ip's.

A virtual ip is something entirely different (and has to do with routing)
Thanks Won, learn something knew every day....thinking about it, its actually quite obvious (doh!)

simur612

May 25, 2018
Hi, I followed the tuto and installed rtorrent+rutorrent with success.
I had some problems with pure-ftpd so I installed vsftpd.

everything is running good now.
one question: I would like to browse the file folder (/home/<username>/torrents) via web (https://<ipaddress>/torrents).

I guess I have to edit the apache config file, but how?

thanks!
Sorry about that, I think I left one step out

Code
sudo su
cd /etc/pure-ftpd/conf
echo 1 > TLS

(You could set it to 3 if you only want to allow FTPS with encrypted data and control channels)

Ive updated the original posts

randac56

May 25, 2018
The reason i prefer pure-ftpd over vsftp is that you can create multiple "virtual" users per real unix user.

This can be really nice. It also allows you to create virtual users with download access but no delete access...this too can be nice.

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Thanks OP; great tutorial. Could follow it through with very little ubuntu experience!

Just on a quick note, the line "sudo chown -R <username>:<username> <username>" should actually be "sudo chown -R <username>:<username> <userdir>" if I remember right. Yet didn't take me too long to figure that out.

Oh yes, and, TLS-FTP doesn't seem to work. Always get stuck at the directory listing. Normal FTP seems fine. Can't figure out why.

Code:
[1] PASV
[1] 227 Entering Passive Mode ([MYIP],106,65)
[1] Opening data connection IP: [MYIP] PORT: 27201 (not the port where pftpd is listening, is that the problem?)
[1] MLSD
[time out]
I've tried with numerous clients on Mac OS X and W7, with different settings. No luck.

Thanks again, anyway!

saroos1

May 25, 2018
C0r

Wonslung is right - the directory name there should be the same as the username

Regarding that issue

1) Ensure that you have a file called TLS in the /etc/pure-ftpd/conf directory, with the contents being 1 (or 3 for only allowing secure data and control comms)

2) The error you are seeing looks like one I too saw with CuteFTP on W7.

You need to make sure the connection is forced to use PASV mode.

After that you might get another error that time-outs on trying to list directories.
You can make it work by setting the Clear Data Channel flag in the connection properties.
Not ideal though.

Im using SmartFTP and Filezilla with Protected Data and Control channels so I guess its a CuteFTP problem.

What client were you using?

simur612

May 25, 2018
it's also important to know ftp is a old broken down piece of garbage.

It is literally a dinosaur and should be put to death.

It is an obvious mess and was never designed with the internet in mind (it was invented well before the internet existed even)

It's hard to NAT, doesn't play well with many firewalls and generally sucks.

The reason we hang on to it like a security blanket is beyond me when there exists so many alternatives which are better suited (SFTP comes screaming to mind)

randac56

May 25, 2018
I was using Flow and Transmit under Mac OS, FTPrush with W7. TLS with value 1 was there, used PASV connection, fiddled around with pretty much all the relevant settings, would not work. Followed your advise and switched to SmartFTP - worked INSTANTLY with standard explicit SSL settings, did not have to change one bit. Weird. Guess wonslung is right. Weird too that PureFTPd somehow seems to limit the speed to about 1,8 megabytes per second. Just "feels" like a hard cap. I did not have had this issue with prior ftp servers, so server itself and the connection are out of the picture and i can easily work around it just by enabling two threads in SmartFTP. Anyway, thanks again for the tutorial and the help afterwards. I'll check back when updates are at hand. I have no idea how to update something I built from sources before.

Cheers!

peshua19

May 25, 2018
Agreed but the reason for me is that Ive only ever been able to get around 30% max of the speeds with SFTP.
Perhaps its fine with slower connections and smaller transfers......just my experience.....

simur612

May 25, 2018
you need to recompile openssh with the hpn patches

see http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

or, if you switch to FreeBSD, you can just select the hpn option when you build the port. Its' quite nice.

The reason it's slower in it's default setup is due to issues with encryption and other overhead issue, read that link to see what i mean.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Excellent Wonslung!

I knew why it was slow, but didnt know there was a solution.

I'll look into this, and if its simple enough I'll update the guide to use SFTP rather than FTPS

peshua19

May 25, 2018
well, i'm not sure it's important to make it required, but:

If you want to know how to do something cool:

if you build openssh with chroot support (it comes with it in most distros, but if you rebuild to apply the patch you may have to add the proper flag) you can create a chrooted SFTP server just by using the sshd_config file.

basically, what i do is this: I create some users for running rtorrent. These users are NOT the same username i intend to give my users, but an internal "system only" user just for running rtorrent

i normally create them with uid's and names like

rtuser1 uid 5001 scgi port 5001 with these dirs /home/rtuser1/.session /home/rtuser1/rtorrent/download /home/rtuser1/rtorrent/watch
rtuser2 uid 5002 scgi port 5002 with these dirs /home/rtuser2/.session /home/rtuser2/rtorrent/download /home/rtuser2/rtorrent/watch
rtuser3 uid 5003 scgi port 5003 with these dirs /home/rtuser3/.session /home/rtuser3/rtorrent/download /home/rtuser3/rtorrent/watch

so on and so forth

then, i create some MORE unix users with the SAME uid as these users (using the -o switch) These names will be the user name i intend to use for the webuser, ftp and sftp I create them WITHOUT home dir's. On FreeBSD the commands are something like this:
Code:
pw useradd SomeUSER1 -u 5001 -g 5001 -d /nonexistent -s /bin/sh -o
pw useradd SomeUSER2 -u 5002 -g 5002 -d /nonexistent -s /bin/sh -o
pw useradd SomeUSER3 -u 5003 -g 5003 -d /nonexistent -s /bin/sh -o
then, of course, set the unix password wiht passwd SomeUSER1

On Linux, the command is something like:
Code:
useradd -u 5001 -g 5001 -o -s /bin/sh -d /nonexistent SomeUSER1
useradd -u 5002 -g 5002 -o -s /bin/sh -d /nonexistent SomeUSER2
useradd -u 5003 -g 5003 -o -s /bin/sh -d /nonexistent SomeUSER3
now, i create a dir for the chroot, maybe something liek
Code:
mkdir /opt/sftp
mkdir -p /opt/sftp/SomeUSER1/torrents
mkdir -p /opt/sftp/SomeUSER2/torrents
mkdir -p /opt/sftp/SomeUSER3/torrents
then, i'll use bind or nullfs (depending on os) to mount the users download dir on the torrents dir i just made (note: the reason i don't just mount the download dir on /opt/sftp/SomeUSER1 is because this dir MUST be owned by root in order for this chroot to work correctly)

so, for freebsd, you'd add something like this to your /etc/fstab:
Code:
/home/rtuser1/rtorrent /opt/sftp/SomeUSER1/torrents nullfs rw 0 0
/home/rtuser2/rtorrent /opt/sftp/SomeUSER2/torrents nullfs rw 0 0
/home/rtuser3/rtorrent /opt/sftp/SomeUSER3/torrents nullfs rw 0 0

for linux, it's something like this:
Code:
/home/rtuser1/rtorrent /opt/sftp/SomeUSER1/torrents bind bind,defaults 0 0
/home/rtuser2/rtorrent /opt/sftp/SomeUSER2/torrents bind bind,defaults 0 0
/home/rtuser3/rtorrent /opt/sftp/SomeUSER3/torrents bind bind,defaults 0 0

in your sshd_config file (normally at /etc/ssh/sshd_config ) look for the Subsystem sftp line, if it's set to something like this:

Code:
Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/sftp-server

change it to this:
Code:
Subsystem sftp internal-sftpnow, you just need to add the proper directives to your ssh config, something like this:
Code:

Match User SomeUSER1,SomeUSER2,SomeUSER3
ChrootDirectory /opt/sftp/%u
X11Forwarding no
AllowTcpForwarding no
ForceCommand internal-sftp

and if you did everything right, you'll have an sftp user who has read/write privelages but is chrooted ONLY to the dir's for your rtorrent files.

another thing i tend to do when i do this, is:

I do not set a password at all for the users running rtorrent. Instead, i set a secure ssh key.

Another thing you can do, if you wish, is build a SEPARATE ssh server for sftp. This way you run it on a different port, with it's own settings.

saroos1

May 25, 2018
Hey wonslung - wondered if you could help me better understand the pros and cons of the httprpc plugin vs mod_scgi ?

simur612

May 25, 2018
sure, the main purpose of the httprpc plugin is to lower bandwidth useage. It is mainly for users who wish to use a VERY LOW bandwidth link.

In order to be effective you need:

A fast server (when i say fast, i dont' mean anything like a multi-core high ram beast, but....you wouldn't want it on an embedded platform like a router, and you wouldn't use it on a server really taxed by mutliple users and other such things)

Either external compression via gzip or php compression via zlib

As few plugins as possible. You can use multiple plugins but the more you eliminate, the lower the bandwidth will be.

It's also much more secure than mod_scgi.

randac56

May 25, 2018
Thanks wonslung

sure, the main purpose of the httprpc plugin is to lower bandwidth useage. It is mainly for users who wish to use a VERY LOW bandwidth link.​

The idea of a VERY LOW bandwidth link doesnt seem to sit well with torrenting in general though?

On a server with a 100/100 link, are there any benefits other than added security?

Any any downsides on such a system?

[quote author=wonslung link=topic=256.msg1710#msg1710 date=1273109
A fast server (when i say fast, i dont' mean anything like a multi-core high ram beast, but....you wouldn't want it on an embedded platform like a router, and you wouldn't use it on a server really taxed by mutliple users and other such things)
[/quote]

Any idea of a typical % change in resource use?

peshua19

May 25, 2018
you're missing the point.

It's for people who want to CHECK the status and ADD TORRENTS over a low bandwidth link.

Ideally, rtorrent/rutorrent will be running on a fast computer with a fast internet connnection.

Think "cell phone" or "dial up"

lisas4567

May 25, 2018
subvertbeats absolutely fantastic guide !! I'm a Linux newbie, and it worked great for me. I had tried at least 20 different guides to get a full install. Most of the time only half the stuff would work. I set up a refurbished on a server.lu with this. Only probs I had was getting the ftp to work as it should (tls), but its working over normal ftp, so that will do me. And could not chmod the directories, but it seems to be working fine. I had been at this for weeks.

I hope you find time to keep this guide updated.

Well Done and Thanks
!

saroos1

May 25, 2018
you're missing the point.

It's for people who want to CHECK the status and ADD TORRENTS over a low bandwidth link.

Ideally, rtorrent/rutorrent will be running on a fast computer with a fast internet connnection.

Think "cell phone" or "dial up"
Now it makes sense. Given the vast majority of people using this guide (I think) will have at least a semi-decent connection I dont really see much benefit in this in the context of bandwidth.

The added security might make it worthwhile though....

simur612

May 25, 2018
subvertbeats absolutely fantastic guide !! I'm a Linux newbie, and it worked great for me. I had tried at least 20 different guides to get a full install. Most of the time only half the stuff would work. I set up a refurbished on a server.lu with this. Only probs I had was getting the ftp to work as it should (tls), but its working over normal ftp, so that will do me. And could not chmod the directories, but it seems to be working fine. I had been at this for weeks.

I hope you find time to keep this guide updated.

Well Done and Thanks
!
Good to know its been useful for you, thanks for the feedback

randac56

May 25, 2018
Just registered here to say thank you for a fantastic guide on setting up rtorrent on a headless Linux server.
For a Linux newbie it's a lot of work but well worth the time and effort.

Your guide is very easy to follow
again great work.

Since this was a first for me I was amazed at how easy it was
all thanks to your guide.
I only came across three things that didn't work as expected.

1. Under apache configuration
These lines need to have 'sudo' in front of them to work

a2enmod ssl
a2enmod auth_digest
a2enmod scgi

2. Under rutorrent - plugin installation
Personally I think the _getdir plugin is missing from the list
(sudo svn checkout http://rutorrent.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/plugins/_getdir)
It makes it a lot easier to create torrents that way.
Allthough I did learn a few things getting it to work after I had done all the steps in the guide.
(the little ... button in the create torrent dialog)

3. Under configuring Rtorrent
The line
sudo chown -R <username>:<username> <username>
is already mentioned somewhere else but can be pretty confusing for a newbie

Thank you very much