RSS Plugin - Episode Tracking

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
Hi All,

I'm looking at replacing my Transmission-Daemon / TorrentWatch-X setup to an rTorrent / ruTorrent setup.

My question is; does the RSS Plugin do episode tracking? I.e., it's not going to download the same episode more than once?

If so - awesome, decision made.

If not - is this something that can be added to the RSS plugin?

Thanks in Advance,

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
you can set it to only download a specific filter 1 time only, one time per week one time per month and so on.

the rss plugin in rutorrent is QUITE good, but even if it was absolute shit, it wouldn't make much difference considering watch dirs work and there are a TON of rss programs outside of rtorrent/rutorrent which work in unix. All of these work with watch dir.s

das329717

May 25, 2018
Yep, I understand.

I currently use TorrentWatch-X - which supports watchdir's. It does episode tracking.

However, I was looking for an all in one solution. So, instead of having to run torrentwatch-x for my broadcatching requirements - AND ruTorrent - it would have been great to have it integrated into a plugin for ruTorrent.

That's okay though, maybe in a future update of 3.0 cheesy.gif

jith45

May 25, 2018
did you even read my post?

i said that you can set it to only download a single file from each match

if you need something MORE than that you're free to write the plugin, god knows novik could use the help.

the current RSS addon works flawlessly if you set it up correctly.

but like i said, you can ALWAYS go with a more unix like solution of one tool for one job.

that was my point in suggesting the watch dir solution. the point is, there is more than one way to do this currently. The RSS plugin is amazing. It's better than any rss plugin i've used if you know how to write good filters.

If you don't then i can help wiht that.

somus1735

May 25, 2018
I read your post perfectly fine. smiley.gif

You said: "you can set it to only download a specific filter 1 time only, one time per week one time per month and so on."

Now, you've said: "that you can set it to only download a single file from each match" - which is completely different. tongue.gif

Unfortunately, the feed I'm working with may produce 3, or even 4 items that will match the series (and episode) I'm after. This may occur multiple times a month, rather than just a week.

My original assumption was that the "Match only once" option would match the filter only once - as per your original comment.

However, are you saying that instead it'll keep a record of each match, and won't match the specific episode more than once?

I.e., if it matches;

My.Series.S04E03 - then it won't match that again - but WILL match My.Series.S04E04?

If so - wicked. Guess I'll have to take the plunge and actually compile rTorrent / install to test.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
If you know how to write good filters, this is hardly a problem.

In all honesty, if you set up your system right, this isn't an issue at all.

and to be fair i said "you can set it to only download a specific filter 1 time only, one time per week one time per month and so on."

a filter, being a REGEX which is quite powerful.

I didn't change what i said, you changed your understanding of it. Theres a big difference.

It DOES keep a record of matches, though they are pretty exact. (If you were to set a filter for /My.Show.*/i and you set it to match 1 time per weeek, it will download the FIRST match it sees then not download it again for 1 week. A better option might be set it to download one match per 4-5 days)

Anyways, if you set it to always match, and your filter isn't EXACT enough, it will pick multiple matches, but not of the exact same torrent.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
Moving on. I suspect it'll cause me issues.

Maybe my RegEx isn't that foo enough, but maybe you can help.

First thing to note, the reason this is so important - is our broadband costs in this country are extremely expensive. We pay for what we use. So, I need to make sure I'm not downloading what I don't need - or duplicates etc.

Here's a scenario for you. This example is for one show, being Lost. And it's what my feed may offer over the period of 4 weeks. Please keep in mind that the release group isn't always the same, I've just used these ones as an example - so I can't really filter the group with the regular expressions.

Week 1;
Lost S06E02.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.torrent
Lost S06E03.HDTV.XviD-P0W4.torrent

Week 2;
Lost S06E03.HDTV.XviD-2HD.torrent
Lost S06E04.HDTV.XviD-P0W4.torrent
Lost S06E02.HDTV.XviD-P0W4.torrent
Lost S06E03.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.torrent

Week 3;
Lost S06E05.HDTV.XviD-P0W4.torrent
Lost S06E04.HDTV.XviD-2HD.torrent
Lost S06E02.HDTV.XviD-2HD.torrent

Week 4;
Lost S06E05.HDTV.XviD-2HD.torrent
Lost S06E04.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.torrent
Lost S06E05.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.torrent

So - in essence, my setup would have to only download episodes 2 - 5 of season 6 once, irrespective of release group.

Also - if possible, I wouldn't want to specify a specific season in my filter. But am happy to do so if required.

So - with that assumption, If I went with;
Filter: /Lost.*/i
Exclusion: /(720p|1080i|1080p|x264)/i

That would end up matching everything.

How would I get it to do what I need?

Thanks!

das329717

May 25, 2018
I see what your problem is. That the same episode would appear in more than one checking interval for the filter.
So if using your filter and setting it to check only once per week would not prevent you from downloading the same eps from another group as well.

One solution could be that you change your filter to only match one group. But then on the other hand it could happen that one group misses out on an episode...

Another solution could be to include things like "reencode|recode|rerip|preair|transport|web-dl" into your exclusions. But as you can figure this would also only work in cases others as the specified one you have given. If two groups release with the same name and only their name-tag changed that doesn't help.

Need more time to think ...

btw - TorrentWatch-X can differ between say
Lost S06E03.HDTV.XviD-2HD.torrent and
Lost S06E03.HDTV.XviD-NoTV.torrent ?

Does it check things it has downloaded and sees that the partial string "Lost S06E03.HDTV.XviD" is the same?

e.g. if there is a bad release and the names would be like
Lost S06E03.HDTV.XviD-2HD.torrent and
Lost S06E03.HDTV.XviD.proper-NoTV.torrent

Would it download the second one or not?

jith45

May 25, 2018
You've hit the nail on the head. Thanks, I found it hard to explain what the issue was. smiley.gif

The way TorrentWatch-X does it - is that it records the season and episode number against the actual filter.

So it knows that once it's got S06 - E02, then it's next match it'll make sure that the next episode is greater than that. When i say greater than, it could be any episode above the recorded one.

With your example below, it ignores the groups release name. But that's really dependant on the regex in use anyway. Also, it purposefully downloads PROPER'S - due to assuming that a proper is fixing something in a previous release. However, it's failing is that a proper release is once again independant of the group whom released the torrent. I'm not sure if it put's a limit on the amount of proper's it'd download. I suspect if there were 5 proper's, you'd get'em all.

This isn't a MAJOR though. Maybe if the filters had the ability to;

1/
Define the fact it's a TV show (thereby allowing it to track season and episode).

2/
Have two fields so you can see what the filter thinks your last season and episode downloaded was.

3/
Perhaps the above two fields could be editable.

Here's a live demo of TorrentWatch-X - that might help clarify things. I think its bung at the moment, but it might come right by the time you look at it smiley.gif
http://torrentwatch.wiebel.nl/

Also - it might be worth mentioning that uTorrent track's the season and episode too, it just doesn't show the user that it's doing it. smiley.gif

Hope this helps

somus1735

May 25, 2018
I don't have these problems at all. I just set up my regex and set it to a single filter. The release group issue is easily solved by making sure to set it to only download 1 time a week or something liek that. I think your idea is nice, but it's going to take someone to help program that sort of function into the currently system.

ALSO, remember, this is UNIX. It's not like windows. It's much better to use one tool for one job, so if you have a rss system which works currently with watch folders then you should keep using it.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
You've also hit the nail on the head. "one tool for one job". In my scenario, I'd like that one tool to be ruTorrent. It saves me having to run multiple site's to essentially handle one aspect of my server, which is torrent downloading.

I agree, it requires programming skills - and a modification to the RSS Plugin. Unfortunately for me, my skills are in the .NET space.

The reason you're not hitting these issues, is your feed is probably a little more stable in the fact you're not having multiple releases of the same show throughout a month.

Also - most of the other solutions (bar torrentwatch-x) are python script based. My wish is for a web based GUI to do it. Although torrentwatch-x does this (and I'll stick with it for now) - the user experience isn't all that good, and it's primarily setup for Transmission.

Anywho - thanks for all the input thus far people! smiley.gif

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
You've also hit the nail on the head. "one tool for one job". In my scenario, I'd like that one tool to be ruTorrent. It saves me having to run multiple site's to essentially handle one aspect of my server, which is torrent downloading.

I agree, it requires programming skills - and a modification to the RSS Plugin. Unfortunately for me, my skills are in the .NET space.

The reason you're not hitting these issues, is your feed is probably a little more stable in the fact you're not having multiple releases of the same show throughout a month.

Also - most of the other solutions (bar torrentwatch-x) are python script based. My wish is for a web based GUI to do it. Although torrentwatch-x does this (and I'll stick with it for now) - the user experience isn't all that good, and it's primarily setup for Transmission.

Anywho - thanks for all the input thus far people! smiley.gif
you're totally missing the point.

one tool for one job means:

rtorrent for torrents
rutorrent for webui
mktorrent for creating torrents
some rss program for rss stuff

this is the unix way. The fact that we have an rss plugin is totally beside the point. If you have a tool which done it better, you should use that tool. The beauty of unix is that programs work together much better than, say, windows.

your wish to have a webui do it all is outside the scope of reality. I've explained that our webui will work but you can't expect it to work exactly the way other software works. ESPECIALLY software which is specifically designed with that function in mind. Personally, i think you are asking too much. rtorrent is by FAR the fastest torrent client around and by far the best torrent client for unix os's

rutorrent is by far the best webgui for rtorrent. The rss plugin is pretty good, but it is NOT the best rss downloader. I'd like to see it get to that point some day but in reality it's design goals lie outside the scope of what you're asking for, which is why you should just use a watch directory and some python or perl based aggregator.

das329717

May 25, 2018
Dude, why do you have to argue with everything when someone doesn't agree with your point of view?

Outside the scope of reality? Come on. Grow up. Start thinking outside the square.

I'm not asking for it to change, just merely asking if it supported what I needed - as per my original question. Of which it doesn't.

I know what Linux is about, how it works - and how to manage a server. It's an attitude like yours in situations like this that take the community in the wrong direction.

I know rTorrent is one of the best, and as far as interfaces go for it - ruTorrent beats them all hands down. My intention was never to diss either project in any way. It was merely to have a simple question answered.

If the functionality comes along one day, then that is fantastic.

Cheers.

jith45

May 25, 2018
Dude, why do you have to argue with everything when someone doesn't agree with your point of view?

Outside the scope of reality? Come on. Grow up. Start thinking outside the square.

I'm not asking for it to change, just merely asking if it supported what I needed - as per my original question. Of which it doesn't.

I know what Linux is about, how it works - and how to manage a server. It's an attitude like yours in situations like this that take the community in the wrong direction.

I know rTorrent is one of the best, and as far as interfaces go for it - ruTorrent beats them all hands down. My intention was never to diss either project in any way. It was merely to have a simple question answered.

If the functionality comes along one day, then that is fantastic.

Cheers.
I'm not arguing with you because you disagree with me, i'm arguing with you because you keep misunderstanding what i say. When i say something, and you repeat it back with the absolute opposite meaning of what i mean, then i feel it important to correct you.

Again, you're missing the entire point of what i was saying. As far as telling me to stop thinking outside the square, why don't you take a moment to go look at the development page, browse through the tickets. 90% of all the feature requests for this project are mine.

If you take a moment and read what i've been saying you might learn something. First of all, it's ENTIRELY possible to set up rutorrent as is, with the rss plugin and make it do what you need, more or less.

My point was, and still is, that it won't work EXACTLY like the software you are currently using, that is it.

My other point was, and still is, that this is unix. You have the freedom to make it do what you need. It may not have the EXACT feature you are asking about but it's flexable enough to work.

It's funny because i'm only trying to clear up horrid misunderstandings, this is the third time you've read something and got it ass backwards. Before you tell someone to grow up, perhaps you should read exactly what is being said.

It's attitudes like mine that drive a community. Learn to be part of the solution. There is a right and wrong way to get things done.

It's funny, because you haven't even used the software yet. Why don't you TRY it and see if you can get it working for what you need before you write it off. I was trying to help you but you insist on twisting my words around or just flat out misunderstanding me. I'm hoping english isn't your first language.

anyways, my advice is to TRY the software. If it doesn't do what you need, thne you'd be on much firmer ground when asking for the feature.

somus1735

May 25, 2018
There you go assuming things again.

I've understood everything you've said.

Unfortunately, the plug-in won't provide what I need - no matter how you look at it. It would appear that you're the only one who can't see this, as Saxfusion has already confirmed my suspicion.

So - yes, I understand the points you're making. Unfortunately you just can't see the other end of the story, and it's hindering your ability to provide a solution. But, be my guest. Let's see if you can provide a solution with the current plug-in to provide the needs I have, and prove me wrong.

And - I have the system running now. Have done for a day, and it does exactly what I feared.

So instead of arguing the point, if you think there's a solution - provide it. Please.

And - there's no need to start blaming a person's language skills on your inability to see what's in front of you. I'll say it again, that's an extremely immature way of looking at things. I'm not entirely sure how the fact that you've added the majority of tickets to the issues register makes you all important. It certainly indicates that you're an active member in the community - which is great. But from your posting's all over the site, I'd hazard a guess that this has perhaps swelled your head a little. Don't let this happen - it can only lead to disruption among other things.

But I digress.

Let's work on this supposed solution using the current plug-in.

shwetha17

May 24, 2018
Just to get a small recap/conclusion here.

The current setup of rutorrent/rss-plugin is not able to offer you the same solution as you are used to with your current setup with torrentwatch-x. While the setup is flexible there is no solution right now that will work on the exact examples that you have presented.
So your best option right now is to use rutorrent/rtorrent adjacent to your torrentwatch-x setup. (wonslung does see this also. He is only encouraging you to try things out even if they are only working for 95% of the cases and to see if you can life with it.).
EDIT: Since i started writing this you already answered in a reply that you have tried it and that it can not achieve what you are expecting right now. That's fine.

Since a little more "intelligent" rss-plugin which does not only use expression but even more custom restraints is the last thing that me, wonlsung or others would complain about (we also think that this feature would be a delight) we encourage all to bring corresponding input to the developers.

So the black/white recap:
Not possible as is but everybody can participate in different ways to make visions come true.

dsouvik215

May 25, 2018
There you go assuming things again.

I've understood everything you've said.

Unfortunately, the plug-in won't provide what I need - no matter how you look at it. It would appear that you're the only one who can't see this, as Saxfusion has already confirmed my suspicion.

So - yes, I understand the points you're making. Unfortunately you just can't see the other end of the story, and it's hindering your ability to provide a solution. But, be my guest. Let's see if you can provide a solution with the current plug-in to provide the needs I have, and prove me wrong.

And - I have the system running now. Have done for a day, and it does exactly what I feared.

So instead of arguing the point, if you think there's a solution - provide it. Please.

And - there's no need to start blaming a person's language skills on your inability to see what's in front of you. I'll say it again, that's an extremely immature way of looking at things. I'm not entirely sure how the fact that you've added the majority of tickets to the issues register makes you all important. It certainly indicates that you're an active member in the community - which is great. But from your posting's all over the site, I'd hazard a guess that this has perhaps swelled your head a little. Don't let this happen - it can only lead to disruption among other things.

But I digress.

Let's work on this supposed solution using the current plug-in.
i can point out 3 things you totally misunderstood. Why don't you take a deep breath and go re-read the entire thread, i'm sure you can find the 3 things you got wrong without me having to point them out.

And there you go again putting words in my mouth, i'm not trying to argue with you, i'm trying to help you. If you'd stop being so confrontational and listen for a moment we might be able to get to something that helps you.

The reason i'm "posting all over the site" is because these are my forums. I run them. I do my best to help people when they need it. As far as me having a swelled head, that just isn't the case at all. I don't need to justify my position in the community so I'm just going to let this go. Suffice to say, you should take a moment and re-read this thread.

and as far as the plugin providing what you need, you're just wrong. I've set it up for people in your EXACT situation before and it works perfectly IF you set it up correctly.

Is it as EASY as what you're used to? no
Is it as good as what you're asking for? probably not?

Is it possible to filter the way you need to prevent downloading bits you don't want? absolutely.

But this is 100% beside the point. The entire point i was making from the getgo was, even if you CANT get the plugin working the way you want (which, if you took to time to try you might be surprised, instead you want to waste your time insulting me) you should be able to find a solution using a watch directory.

Your problem is that you are stubborn. Also, you read into things and invent stuff that hasn't been said, or just plain get something backwards.

Let's try this again, this time without your insults.

Regex is a powerful thing, if you can't get it working then you just don't understand regex. It's THAT simple.

i'd be more than willing to help you with your regex.

Also, you're going about this all wrong. You should try using the software first, then perhaps open a ticket with the function you'd like if it doesn't do what you want...at least TRY to make it work.

I'm telling you, it WILL work for what you need, it might not be exactly the same as what you're used to but you should have no problem getting it most of the way there.

Or just use a watch dir...or dont' use it at all, but don't come here, ask for help, then get all upset when someone corrects you on your mistakes.

das329717

May 25, 2018
Just to get a small recap/conclusion here.

The current setup of rutorrent/rss-plugin is not able to offer you the same solution as you are used to with your current setup with torrentwatch-x. While the setup is flexible there is no solution right now that will work on the exact examples that you have presented.
So your best option right now is to use rutorrent/rtorrent adjacent to your torrentwatch-x setup. (wonslung does see this also. He is only encouraging you to try things out even if they are only working for 95% of the cases and to see if you can life with it.).
EDIT: Since i started writing this you already answered in a reply that you have tried it and that it can not achieve what you are expecting right now. That's fine.

Since a little more "intelligent" rss-plugin which does not only use expression but even more custom restraints is the last thing that me, wonlsung or others would complain about (we also think that this feature would be a delight) we encourage all to bring corresponding input to the developers.

So the black/white recap:
Not possible as is but everybody can participate in different ways to make visions come true.
The fact of the matter is that, even though it doesnt' work exactly like he'd like, it should be possible, using regex and the current plugin settings, to get something functional. I've done this exact thing for more than one seedbox.

If that isn't enough, then yah, he should use a more advanced rss downloader.

jith45

May 25, 2018
@Sax

Yep. Totally agree.

I've already posted what I think the changes would be - so I'll stop there. I'm sure plenty of others have thoughts around this that may produce the same results.

I'm all about a solution - which sounds like we may be on track for in any case.

@wonslung

I'm a senior developer - and I have been for almost two decades. I also manage a bunch of people. I understand RegEx fine. In any case - I'm over the arguing with you. It's not respectful, nor is it helping what we're trying to accomplish.

I'm sure this thread has said it for all. Let's leave it at that shall we?

somus1735

May 25, 2018
And you're right, the plug-in will provide most of what I need - but the last 10% doesn't.

Unfortunately, that last 10% equals a major hindrance for me - due to the way ISP's charge in this country. So, although I can get the plug-in to function - It's the duplicate episode downloads that cause me stress.

The fact of the matter is, I'll still end up with Duplicate's no matter how you setup the plug-in